“disappointing”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Melville
Boston
“disappointing”
Reviewed August 12, 2009

I've come to expect a lot from the Marriott name, and this facility did not meet my expectations. As many other people have indicated, this is a big facility, which means the majority of the rooms are a long distance from the lobby / parking facilities. The facility has a foul odor, somewhat of a cross between chlorine and a musty basement. I was "fortunate" enough to have a room on the indoor atrium side, and suffered from the noise and odors that others have described.
On the flip side, I cannot complain about the service. The food was definitely passable, although I have become immune to Marriott's high priced menus. The service staff were all friendly.
As someone else wrote, internet access wsa $10+/ day, which seems excessive.
I only wish I had read the reviews prior to booking / arriving at this Marriott. I would have stayed elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank btravel2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 11, 2009

It's a very clean hotel and my room was very clean - typical of Marriott. The staff were very friendly and helpful - typical of Marriott. However, the hotel was having air conditioning and ventilation problems during my visit. The hallways were uncomforably warm and parts of the Atrium/Lobby area were very warm and humid. The ventilation system in the Atrium/Lobby was very noisy and not typical for a hotel lobby. Fortunately, my room was comfortable and pleasant. The fitness center and indoor swimming pool were excellent and the staff will give you recommended outside walking and jogging paths. The hotel is ready for some updating and some needed maintenance. The nightly coporate rate I paid was was excessive for the value I received. I've paid much less for hotels with a better experience. This had the most negative effect on my rating. I can recommend this hotel, but with caution.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
queens ny
Reviewed July 31, 2009

They gave away all our reserved & confirmed rooms, made us stay away from our friends, Prevented us from having a celebratory party, Ruined our family's evening & ruined at least 2 bride's wedding nights. The stupidity of the Marriot system allows overbooking even when block rooms are reserved. This is at Marriot's corporate level, that allows overbooking. Some management wiseguy got a raise for this policy and we all got the shaft. Never book any Marriott for a serious affair like a wedding or professional meeting. When you arrive late, your rooms will be given away. Can't say anything positive about a Marriot establishment that tossed us out for no reason except greed! What an insult to the parents and grandparents of the bride. Our family booked this hotel so they could be together afterwards, most of them are 20 minutes away and wasted their money. What a disgrace to be embarrassed in front of family and friends by the Marriot.

Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank DisgustedDad
Albany
Reviewed July 28, 2009

The desk clerk advised us we had no room and that several other parties that evening were being told the same thing. She sent us to a nearby Hilton and told the Marriott would pay the bill and would throw in breakfast as well for our trouble. Of course when we got to Hilton the desk clerk informed us that the Marriott had been sending people to him all night despite his insistence that there was no account arrangement between the Hilto and the Marriott. We would be on our own for the fee. It became very clear at this point that all the desk clerk at the Marriott wanted to do for us was to get us out their lobby and out of their hair. A horrible experience......never again!!! PS The Hilton was great...they even threw in breakfast

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank electroguy
Canada
Reviewed July 9, 2009

We stayed here to attend a family wedding in the area and it was recommended by the bride. Because of the design of the hotel, with the open atrium over the swimming pool and open concept lobby, etc. all the way up to the 4th floor, the smell of pool chemical was omnipresent. We were given a double room facing onto the atrium, which meant we had no window to the outside, consequently the air smelled canned and there was a constant roar from the atrium's ventilation system. It was actually louder than the hotel we spent a few nights in in Manhattan prior to the wedding. The room was nice enough in an impersonal hotel-chain way, and clean, and the staff were friendly and helpful enough, but I just felt unhealthy from the air quality after a few nights there. Also, internet costs $13 dollars a day! I'm self-employed and had to keep in touch via email and felt this was a horrible gouge as I travel frequently and have never had to pay this much for 'net access. We had trouble with the phone and a staff member attempted to walk into our room at 10:30 pm when we were all in bed - problem had been reported at 9:00 that morning. They gave us two bath towels for 4 people, and we wound up having to smuggle more up from the pool. We enquired about staying another night as our flights had been changed and found that their rate jumped $70 from the pre-paid in advance rate. We didn't stay. If you are going to stay there, at the very least request a room on the other side of the hall from the atrium.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank 24fps
East Meadow, New York
Reviewed May 25, 2009

Terrible terrible terrible.

That is really the only way I can describe what they did. My sister blocked a set of rooms for all of her wedding guests here. My family reserved rooms 11 months in advance.

At midnight, after a fabulous wedding, we arrived to check in only to find out they gave our rooms away. What is worse, is that the night manager, Hayley Blazley, refused to accept responsibility. She kept saying it wasn't her fault becaue the shift before her did it. Imagine my sister in her wedding dress in tears after finding out her parents, the groom's parents, and my 83 year old grandmother no longer had rooms. We all had confirmation numbers and received e-mails 3 days before the wedding confirming the reservations. Several people in our party checked in early (at 6pm) which is why some of us were lucky enough to have rooms. But the parents were busy with all the wedding duties and they never imagined their rooms would be given away.

The situation was bad, but made so much worse by the night manager's attitude. She kept saying it wasn't her fault. She yelled at my sister and told us, when we were rightfully upset, that if we didn't talk nice to her she wouldn't help us. She then made reservations at a hotel a few miles away, but got those wrong as well and put my parents and grandma in a smoking room with 1 bed.

I went back later that night to get her name, and when I told her that her attitude was inacceptable, she told me she was not going to talk to me and walked away from the counter, leaving my parents there with no one to help them get a cab to the other hotel.

The manager on duty in the morning tried to blame it all on the computer booking system. I told her that we all understand things can go wrong, but that the attitude of the night manager was UNACCEPTABLE no matter what the reason. I explained that as someone who works in customer service, it is the job of the person in charge to take responsibility and make things right. She actually told me "that is your opinion" and went on -again- to say that none of it was her fault and I shouldn't be mad at her. I told her that she should have been apologetic to my sister, told her to go to her room and enjoy the rest of the night while she took care of everything. What she SHOULD NOT have done was give my sister and the rest of my family an attitude.

I should also mention, right after my sister left, another bride came in. All 9 of the rooms she had reserved were also unavailable - including hers. Can you imagine the suite the bride and groom had reserved being taken away on their wedding night?

I will never give this establishment any business again. A bad situation was made so much worse by the incompetence and unprofessionalism of the staff.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank TheLadyJ
Plymouth Meeting, Pa.
Reviewed April 13, 2009

This hotel is very nice and I would recommend it for everyone. After reading the other reviews, I came to the realization that some people just complain for the sake of complaining. Check in was a breeze, the room was clean and decorated nicely. The bathroom had granite vanity top and extra wide shower curtain that extends out a little for extra room and both were very clean. Room service was quick and we received exactly what we ordered and expected. The price of the hotel and cost of food is typical of other hotels, no more/no less. I think our bill came to 150.00 for the night, w/food. The pool area was nice, our kids had fun.....And ahhhh the bed. I loved their bed and bedding. It was comfortable, had soft linens that were so white they looked new. The comforter was soft and plush. The bed was absolutely the highlight of the room. My only complaint is that we couldn't find the hotel at first. There were no signs for it up on the main road. Our GPS was saying that we were on top of it, but still couldn't find it. We called the hotel and they weren't very good at telling us how to get there which I thought was odd. But we found it and yes we were right on top of it, just on the other side of the office complex. Had to laugh because we were looking for a stand alone hotel, not one located in an office park.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Lynch162
Also consider these accommodations in or near Melville
Hilton Garden Inn Melville
Hilton Long Island/Huntington
Homewood Suites Long Island - Melville
Hampton Inn Long Island/Commack
Four Points by Sheraton Melville Long Island
Hyatt Regency Long Island
Hyatt Regency Long Island
#1 of 4 in Hauppauge

Been to Melville Marriott Long Island? Share your experiences!