“Left Early”

Melville Marriott Long Island
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Melville
Reviewed July 3, 2013

This is my first time reviewing a hotel. Im only doing this because I wanted others to be aware of my experience. I booked a room probably a month a head of time. I requested two full sized beds because there were two adults and two children. We were told at check in that they only had a room with a king bed. Thats one bed for four people, after a five hour drive. They offered a roll a way bed, which we had no choice but to accept. We go up to the room and the first thing i see is a pair of tweezers on the floor. They were bright blue, im not sure how house keeping could have missed them. One of the lights were burnt out. This hotel apparently makes their lobby available to guests for events. All the interior rooms are open to the lobby below so anything going on down there can be heard. Like the wedding reception. The beat of the music was loud enough that we had to wait until it stopped to put the kids to bed. Then the next morning we discovered that the small bottles of soaps and mouth wash were all half used. Yes, half used mouth wash. The lack of care towards our reservations and the room itself caused us to check out after one night. We will not be returning to this hotel.

Room Tip: all interior room open to the lobby below.
Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank EmmieGoo
There are newer reviews for Melville Marriott Long Island

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Okay so, I reviewed this hotel about 18 months ago (2 of 5) when I had no idea what type of hotel it was. This time I was in the wedding and there were 5 weddings staying there that night, so my mind set was a little different. I was pleasantly greeted by every staff member who said either Hello or have a nice day. The bar stayed open late, the turkey burger at bistro 47 was very good, breakfast was complementary for marriott members in june and it was actually a little quieter. Be prepared though, this place has conventions and wedding parties there, it seems like every weekend. So if youre looking for a nice quiet marriott that has a bar, pool and fitness center this is definitely not your place. But if youre in the wedding or convention, cant really beat it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the inside, not overlooking the pool if you want some more quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We were in town for a wedding and the bride and groom booked this hotel for the wedding guests. From the minute we walked in the door to the moment we left the next day, we were treated like were we the only guest in the hotel. A friendly hello as we walked in the lobby and the most pleasant and friendly person to quickly check us in to our room. The hotel was busy with other wedding parties but the staff had check in running smoothy and housekeeping had the room ready. The hotel was a beautiful atrium with a pool, bar and plenty of seating to relax with family. The room was very clean with a refrig and a coffemaker. The Bistro breakfast buffet had nice fresh selection but on the smaller scale and maybe a few dollars over priced at $15.One family member left their wedding shoes after checking out and the hotel staff found them and held them for us. I've stayed in other hotels but have never been treated this nice. What a wonderful hotel.

Room Tip: The halls are long so if you have trouble walking request a room near the elevator.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 9, 2013

The staff could kill you with kindness, but the rooms are tiny and the bathroom even tinier. Also most rooms are windowless, but instead have glass sliders facing the open atrium. When I mentioned the tininess to the manager who just happened to be standing at the door as we were leaving, he offered me a whole bunch of Marriott points or a suite on my next stay as apology.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Just visited family in Long Island in New York. We stayed for 2 nights. The staff and the facility itself were excellent. They put us away from the atrium which they admitted could get noisy on weekends with all the functions going on. It was a very large room and a super comfortable bed. When i return to visit family in the area We will definetly stay at the Marriott again.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the atrium would be the best choice.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We just returned from a one night stay at the Melville Marriott Long Island. We called ahead and requested an early check in. The person on the phone was very kind and was able to accommodate our request. Once we arrived we were greeted by several of the staff. All of which were very friendly and asked if we needed help with anything. We requested a room change so that we could be close to another family member and there was availability so we were moved. I stayed in room 1063. The room itself is right off the lobby and away from the atrium area. It is located right across the vending area and ice machine, however, I did not hear any noise from people dispensing the ice. The decor of the room is nice and I have no complaints in regards to the room itself. It was clean and had what we needed. The bathroom decor was fine, however, there are several things that need updating/fixing. The glaze on the tub was peeling at several parts, there was no bath mat (I almost fell in the tub and to keep my daughter from slipping we put a hand towel on the bath tub floor to provide traction). The tile needs some regrouting throughout the bathroom, but it is clean. If I came back to this hotel, I would ask to stay in a similar room or in the same room if the tub/grout issues were fixed. Also, the bathroom had no vent. After showering we had to open the door in order to clear the mirror.

Another issue that I had with this particular visit was that the hotel had a group of elementary/middle school aged boys who played lacrosse staying at the hotel. These boys were running all over the hotel, tossing the lacrosse balls in the halls, atrium, in the gym (I was in there and told them to leave) and they almost hit my daughter with a ball when she was in the pool when they overshot it. The management did handle the disruptions well and tried their best to address the few parents and chaperones that ruined it for many by not supervising the children under their care. I would suggest to the management ask all children sports teams/leagues etc. that stay at the hotel to leave their sport equipment in a specific closet/room or in their cars.

The management and staff were great. They also gave us a late check out to compensate for the inconvenience that the lacrosse group created.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the atrium if you want quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 30, 2013

We had a three night stay here for a wedding, one of six group of weddings there. The hotel had a peculiar layout and not sure what we would have done in case of emergency. I think it would have been difficult to find a set of stairs close by.The hotel is large and has long hallways. If you have family members who can't walk far, you should make sure you request rooms closer to the lobby. It was a little awkward as a wedding party had their daily breakfast in the middle of the atrium every day, where all of the other guests could view their party. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful, probably because there were so many people trying to figure out how to get to the six weddings that were going on near there that weekend. It's not a new place, but since I wasn't staying by the atrium, we got a quiet night's sleep and I gave it a 4 because of the staff

Room Tip: do not stay by the atrium if you can't walk well, make sure you aren't at the end of one of...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Melville
Hilton Garden Inn Melville
Hilton Long Island/Huntington
Homewood Suites by Hilton Melville - NY Hotel
Four Points by Sheraton Melville Long Island
Hampton Inn Long Island/Commack
Hyatt Regency Long Island
Hyatt Regency Long Island
#1 of 4 in Hauppauge

Been to Melville Marriott Long Island? Share your experiences!