“Its fine (if its cheap), but it does need some work.”

Hilton Long Island/Huntington
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Melville
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Rooms were very expensive for some reason except this Hilton so I read the reviews and they scared me away. So I figure I'll try Priceline and it gave me this hotel, but it wasn't as bad as I expected.

Checkin
Very friendly front desk clerks that were helpful. The only problem is there were no king rooms clean at 4pm for me to check in. So I just took a double.

1st room
So I get to the room and get ready to fire up my laptop. THERE ARE NO POWER OUTLETS in the desk area. So I look all around and I can start to unplug the TV, lamp and mini fridge to get power but it is absurd not to have at least 1 I can use. I call the front desk to request a new room and she tells me there is a power strip under the desk and the lamp should have an outlet. The lamp didn't have one so they were going to send one up right away and I didn't see any power strip. Well I sat there for 30 minutes and no one arrived and then the heater started to make some noise so I just got annoyed and walked down with all my stuff to get a new room.
I spoke with the same woman and she apologized and i did overhear her call the engineer to check why they never showed with the lamp. She was annoyed also so I appreciated that.
She sent me to my second room.

2nd room
Same worn looking room like the first and well no plugs again. So this time I crawl under the desk and there is a power strip all the way in the back hidden by a support bar. Why anyone though this was a good idea to put them I have no clue. And it wasn't even close enough where you could feel around and plug something in. You had to crawl under to plug it in.

Bathroom
I always feel gross when its an old looking hotel because I just feel it isn't clean and this wasn't an exception. I did get hot water right away which was pleasant.
Everything looked old and worn.

TV
No problem with the TV and channels.

Internet
It was pay so I just used my hotspot and went to the lobby to do some heavy work for 30 minutes.

Bed
The bed was poor. It was so worn down on one side you felt like you were sleeping at an angle.

Overall
My review sounds horrible and it was more like less than average. If all the other hotels on Long Island were very expensive I would stay here again if the price was right.
Staff seemed helpful so that was a plus. I didn't make it to the bar or gym to review.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank morganrep
EllenRuane, General Manager at Hilton Long Island/Huntington, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

Dear Ktscott:

Thank you for your time. I am happy to learn that you found our rooms reasonably priced. I do apologize that we did not have a king sized bedded room available when you checked in and that the first room did not have a lamp with a power outlet. I am glad you found the staff helpful. Thank you for being our guest.

Reviewed December 28, 2013

Overall this is a very nice hotel. The staff is very attentive. Very nice pool and fitness center. However, bathrooms seemed a bit dated and drains were slow. We had two adjoining rooms which was convenient. Restaurant manager treated us like royalty.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Edward G
EllenRuane, General Manager at Hilton Long Island/Huntington, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2013

Dear Edward G:

Thank you for your review. I am glad you found the staff to be very attentive that is a wonderful compliment that I will share with our team. Our restaurant, Yolande, will be so pleased with your comment about her. She is one of our best. Thank you for recognizing her. Thank you for being our guest.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

I felt that the Hilton was a very good choice for the business I had on Long Island. It was a very good business hotel in that it was sorta non-descript, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I had a King room on the executive level where there was an exec lounge for breakfast and snacks...that is always a nice feature. The room was comfortable, nice tv, standard Hilton amenities. Roomy as well.

The lobby area is nice and open, large bar area, and what appeared to be a really nice pool (did not use). The fitness room is in the basement and adequate. Nothing too special there. As for other things within the hotel, they have two (or maybe 3) restaurants, but I did not eat there. You will find there are some other dining choices in the area, short drive, or very cheap (<$10) cab ride away.

Dear Dumpty27:

Thank you for being our guest and writing a favorable review. I am happy to learn you enjoyed the guest room, lobby, and executive lounge. We hope to serve you again soon.

Reviewed December 23, 2013

I'm sure this was a nice proprty at one time... but it has been off of Hiltons radar for a long time and needs to be closed and totally refurbished. The food was over priced and of poor quality, the restaurant is closed so the only place to eat is in the bar. There was no ironiong board in my room. The heat didn't work in my room. It was a cold and windy day on Long Island. I looked in the amenities and they listed a sauna... I went to the pool area and found what must have been a sauna at one time... it had been torn out leaving exposed crumbling plaster with black mold... I also visited the unatended executive club that was filthy and unattended... I went back and got under the covers in my 65 degree room to stay warm. This place was tragic!

1  Thank David L

Dear DavidL:

I was sorry to learn you were disappointed with your stay. Our hotel was just recently renovated. Our restaurant basil's BISTRO and bar are open on Mondays. However, our steakhouse, Masterson's, is closed on Sundays and Mondays. I do apologize that you did not find the ironing board in your room. When our manager upgraded you to a complimentary suite for being a HHonors Diamond member, the board and iron were in the second closet. During your stay, our pool was having some work being done. When the new floor was put in, some of the drywall was pulled off where the baseboard was. We were replacing the molding the week of your stay. While we maybe should have closed it because it wasn't 100%, we thought it best to keep open for any of our guests that wanted to swim. Our executive lounge for Diamond members is only staffed in the early am and early pm when we are serving hot food. I am sorry that you were not aware of that. I do want to thank you for being such a loyal guest to Hilton.

Reviewed December 21, 2013

Stayed at the hotel with family. Pool was under contruction but open to guests, nice front desk and my room on the 4th floor was clean. The desk gave me a coupon for pizza , used it at the pool . I had breakfast a little over priced but the service was good. The heating box in my room did not let me cool the room. Called the front desk , manager came up with tech and fixed the problem. Staff was very good and helpfull. I do have 1 suggestion, when I called phone rang 6 times. When I went down the next morning the desk very busy answering phone , get more help with phones. Amanda,Tito and Manager Fred made me feel special.

Room Tip: make sure you can get cool air from ac unit
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Dear tonip529:

Thank you for your review about our hotel. Our pool construction is now finished. I am glad you found our staff to be good and helpful and that you found 3 individuals who made you feel special. They will all be pleased to know you were happy with their efforts. We hope to serve you again.

Reviewed December 19, 2013

The wonderful staff treated me with first class service from the moment I arrived in New York! Everyone from Ellen(the GM)Orian, Annette, Alan, Marquis, wait staff, front desk and even the hotel driver really went the extra mile(he literally drove me around to several stores) to help me find a nice gift for my wife. I travel around the world and have to say that this was one of the best total hotel experiences I have had in a long time!

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
EllenRuane, General Manager at Hilton Long Island/Huntington, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2013

Dear Jon C:

Thank you for posting such a wonderful review. I am very pleased to learn that you found our staff to helpful. I remember you were trying to find the perfect gift for your wife. I do hope you found it. What a compliment from a world traveler. We sure hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed December 18, 2013

Staying here for a business trip after having visited the hotel about 2 year ago. Rooms have been updated since, and they look very nice. The staff is very accommodating - I can be a difficult traveler at times. Kyle at the front desk was very nice and gave me a new room after I found some water puddles in the bathroom and queen beds instead of king in my room. He's very friendly and accommodating.

Great lobby and bar with friendly and attentive staff. Would recommend also for families as long as the pool works. Rooms are quiet.

Dear uweb01:

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am very pleased to learn that you like our renovations and found our staff to be accommodating. I will make sure to thank Kyle for his efforts. I really appreciate your recommendation. We hope to serve you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Melville
Melville Marriott Long Island
Hilton Garden Inn Melville
Homewood Suites by Hilton Melville - NY Hotel
Extended Stay America - Long Island - Melville
Courtyard Republic Airport Long Island/Farmingdale
The Inn At Fox Hollow Hotel

Been to Hilton Long Island/Huntington? Share your experiences!