“GM/Staff that made it RIGHT!”

Hilton Long Island/Huntington
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Melville
Westchester, New York, United States
“GM/Staff that made it RIGHT!”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I became ill at this hotel, when I reported the illness, the hotel moved me to a more comfortable room, on the executive level. My illness progressed and the night manager Sean drove me to the hospital and picked me up. The next day I was visited by the GM Ellen, and the manager Jennifer. They arranged for me to be driven to get my prescription filled. They did everything to make the situation right. Although I was very uncomfortable, their overwhelming attentiveness and concern for my health and well being touched my heart. Thank you guys. You made a wrong RIGHT! I pray that you all have successful careers! Rev. Lowery

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
EllenRuane, General Manager at Hilton Long Island/Huntington, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear Reverend:

Thank you so much for such a wonerful review. The staff and I certainly appreciate your kind words and prayers. We look forward to serving you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Warwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

Stayed a couple of nights. Access to concierge lounge meant breakfast and evening nibbles were included. Free wifi in my rate too. Good bar with friendly staff. Best of all I left my Bose headphones in the safe after I checked out. Called the following day and they had them safe and sound.

• Stayed June 2013
EllenRuane, General Manager at Hilton Long Island/Huntington, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear NigelTaylor11:

Thank you for your feedback. I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay, executive lounge, and found our staff friendly. Thank you for being our guest, and we hope to serve you again soon.
Baltimore, United States
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We got to the hotel late for an event. We hurriedly checked in, which was fine and painless. When we got to the room, we discovered it had two small beds instead of one large one as we reserved. We were too tired and frazzled to move rooms later. When I asked the hotel staff if I'd reserved one bed or two, they lied to me and said it was two in the system. After my trip, I checked my reservation receipt, and sure enough it was down for one single king sized bed. Other than that, the cooling system made weird noises, the front door always slammed and it made loud screamlike noises when we unlocked it. Not a good value considering the cost.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Samuel K
Dear Samuel K:

Thank you very much for your concerns. I would like for you to give me a call to discuss further. You may reach me by calling 631-845-1000.

Travelers are raving about these Melville hotels

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We are here for a wedding or else we would never have stayed here, and I assure you, we never will again. We are on the "Executive Floor" which is supposed to include breakfast. We got to the breakfast an hour before it closed and it was a mess. There weren't even coffee cups. We hung around for a bit in hopes that things would get replenished. They didn't. We went downstairs and basically paid doe the same breakfast.
We just tried to have lunch, since there is nothing close by, we felt trapped. We ordered and at least 20 minutes later a woman returned to inform us they didn't have the flatbreads we ordered. We left, very disgruntled. Why did they wait 20 minutes to tell us? And there really is no place in walking distance to go.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Cphym
EllenRuane, General Manager at Hilton Long Island/Huntington, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear Cphym:

We appreciate your valuable feedback. Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I'm very sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations during your stay with us. We will address your concerns with our team in an effort to enhance our food and beverage performance.
The Finger Lakes, NY
Reviewed June 11, 2013

First the good:

The purpose of my visit to the hotel was to attend a conference. Check-in and check-out was very easy and the desk people were quite nice and helpful. For the most part, the hotel staff were kind and pleasant--no complaints.

The food was surprisingly good. They must employ an excellent baker or two because the cookies and cake that they served were really delicious. And the staff made a big effort to ensure our buffet tables stayed filled and fresh and that our plates were cleared.

In terms of the room, I appreciated its spaciousness, the outlets on the desk so I could charge my phone and iPad, the nice furnishings, including the beautiful textured wallpaper (if you're in to that sort of thing!) and the good closet space. The bed felt great and I slept very well there. I experienced no temperature problems although one of my fellow conference attendees mentioned that the heat in her room was out of control.

If you plan to visit the bar, here is a tip:

Be sure to ask about the specials at Basil's. One night wines were half price, which is important because their drinks are very pricey. And another night the entrees were buy-one, get one free. My colleagues and I were extremely pleased to learn about these deals, so be proactive and ask in advance.

Also, one night a very nice hotel employee had set out free wine, cheese and crackers in the lobby area. Many of the guests were delighted by this little, unexpected perk.

Now for the down side.

During my stay I wondered who in the world was monitoring the cleanliness of the rooms and the eternally long corridors. There seemed to be low standards in this regard or perhaps someone was just not paying attention. Whatever the reason, a failure seems to be occurring.

My room was located on the executive floor and even though there was no obvious filth, the bathroom smelled like it had not been cleaned for months. A heavy urine odor permeated the air making it gross to be in there. It reminded me of my college days. I had hoped the smell would go away with some attention from the cleaning staff the next day, but it did not. Because I was so busy with my conference, worrying about the smell and calling the front desk was the last thing I felt like doing. I definitely take responsibility for neglecting to speak up. Maybe if I had, it would have been addressed.

Some of the towels and pillow cases in my room were stained and there appeared to be mold or mildew on the shower ceiling. I know linens are expensive, but why not recycle the shabby ones? And whoever painted the bathroom during the upgrade did an incredibly sloppy job, which contributed to the yuck factor. The message I got was, "We don't care."

The three days I was there, the halls on the fifth floor were littered with plates and barware from morning till evening. At one point, a guest must have run into some of the glasses and broke them. It looked kind of ghetto for a Hilton. Why is no one on top of this aspect of the hotel? Why is it acceptable to allow dinnerware and leftover food to linger in the corridor for any length of time? I imagine it takes a lot to maintain a facility of this size, but cleanliness really should be a priority.

As a whole, I had a positive experience at the hotel and would be willing to return. So many of the employees were very nice and friendly. I think they are trying hard and doing their best to make the guests feel happy and comfortable.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
EllenRuane, General Manager at Hilton Long Island/Huntington, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear ChicPea:

Thank you for all your compliments about our hotel and staff. I will be sure to address the timeliness of in room dining trays with our room service team. Also, I believe the odor you spoke about was our bathroom cleaning product. The executive housekeeper believes the cleaning agent we use was not diluted with enough water. This may have caused the odor to be stronger and more lingering. I apologize for that. I am happy to learn that you would stay with us again.
Hicksville, New York
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Stayed here for an installation dinner.Rooms have been recently renovated/updated.Check in was quick.Pool area is nice.Had a good nites sleep on their new mattresses!Also had breakfast in morning.We did the buffet.The only thing negative was some of the items seemed like they were from function nite before and didn't hold up overnite.(mini fruit cups/desserts) but room/staff for stay was good. As for the performance of dinner itself-I would probably not have large function here but thats a diiferent review.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
EllenRuane, General Manager at Hilton Long Island/Huntington, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear Brighteyes67:

Thank you for your review of the Hilton Long Island. I am pleased that you noticed our recent renovation. I am glad to learn you had a comfortable night's stay and found check in quick and our pool nice.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Stayed here for business for two nights. After a long flight and a drive on the Long Island Expressway (that was longer than the flight!), the front desk staff was warm and welcoming. They invited me to the complimentary wine and cheese table before going to my room - exactly what I needed! Nice large comfortable room, free parking, and great staff. Definitely would recommend a stay here at this hotel. Priceline deal was unbeatable; 210.00 for two nights.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
EllenRuane, General Manager at Hilton Long Island/Huntington, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear ChicagoDocJerry:

Thank you for your flattering words about our hotel! The staff and I are pleased that the various amenities served you well during your stay. Please join us again soon. W we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Melville
Melville Marriott Long Island
Hilton Garden Inn Melville
Extended Stay America - Long Island - Melville
Homewood Suites Long Island - Melville
Courtyard Republic Airport Long Island/Farmingdale
Four Points by Sheraton
Four Points by Sheraton
#3 of 6 in Plainview

Been to Hilton Long Island/Huntington? Share your experiences!