“Worst. Service. Ever”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Melville
Baltimore, Maryland
“Worst. Service. Ever”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We are here for a wedding or else we would never have stayed here, and I assure you, we never will again. We are on the "Executive Floor" which is supposed to include breakfast. We got to the breakfast an hour before it closed and it was a mess. There weren't even coffee cups. We hung around for a bit in hopes that things would get replenished. They didn't. We went downstairs and basically paid doe the same breakfast.
We just tried to have lunch, since there is nothing close by, we felt trapped. We ordered and at least 20 minutes later a woman returned to inform us they didn't have the flatbreads we ordered. We left, very disgruntled. Why did they wait 20 minutes to tell us? And there really is no place in walking distance to go.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Cphym
EllenRuane, General Manager at Hilton Long Island/Huntington, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear Cphym:

We appreciate your valuable feedback. Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I'm very sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations during your stay with us. We will address your concerns with our team in an effort to enhance our food and beverage performance.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
The Finger Lakes, NY
Reviewed June 11, 2013

First the good:

The purpose of my visit to the hotel was to attend a conference. Check-in and check-out was very easy and the desk people were quite nice and helpful. For the most part, the hotel staff were kind and pleasant--no complaints.

The food was surprisingly good. They must employ an excellent baker or two because the cookies and cake that they served were really delicious. And the staff made a big effort to ensure our buffet tables stayed filled and fresh and that our plates were cleared.

In terms of the room, I appreciated its spaciousness, the outlets on the desk so I could charge my phone and iPad, the nice furnishings, including the beautiful textured wallpaper (if you're in to that sort of thing!) and the good closet space. The bed felt great and I slept very well there. I experienced no temperature problems although one of my fellow conference attendees mentioned that the heat in her room was out of control.

If you plan to visit the bar, here is a tip:

Be sure to ask about the specials at Basil's. One night wines were half price, which is important because their drinks are very pricey. And another night the entrees were buy-one, get one free. My colleagues and I were extremely pleased to learn about these deals, so be proactive and ask in advance.

Also, one night a very nice hotel employee had set out free wine, cheese and crackers in the lobby area. Many of the guests were delighted by this little, unexpected perk.

Now for the down side.

During my stay I wondered who in the world was monitoring the cleanliness of the rooms and the eternally long corridors. There seemed to be low standards in this regard or perhaps someone was just not paying attention. Whatever the reason, a failure seems to be occurring.

My room was located on the executive floor and even though there was no obvious filth, the bathroom smelled like it had not been cleaned for months. A heavy urine odor permeated the air making it gross to be in there. It reminded me of my college days. I had hoped the smell would go away with some attention from the cleaning staff the next day, but it did not. Because I was so busy with my conference, worrying about the smell and calling the front desk was the last thing I felt like doing. I definitely take responsibility for neglecting to speak up. Maybe if I had, it would have been addressed.

Some of the towels and pillow cases in my room were stained and there appeared to be mold or mildew on the shower ceiling. I know linens are expensive, but why not recycle the shabby ones? And whoever painted the bathroom during the upgrade did an incredibly sloppy job, which contributed to the yuck factor. The message I got was, "We don't care."

The three days I was there, the halls on the fifth floor were littered with plates and barware from morning till evening. At one point, a guest must have run into some of the glasses and broke them. It looked kind of ghetto for a Hilton. Why is no one on top of this aspect of the hotel? Why is it acceptable to allow dinnerware and leftover food to linger in the corridor for any length of time? I imagine it takes a lot to maintain a facility of this size, but cleanliness really should be a priority.

As a whole, I had a positive experience at the hotel and would be willing to return. So many of the employees were very nice and friendly. I think they are trying hard and doing their best to make the guests feel happy and comfortable.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
EllenRuane, General Manager at Hilton Long Island/Huntington, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear ChicPea:

Thank you for all your compliments about our hotel and staff. I will be sure to address the timeliness of in room dining trays with our room service team. Also, I believe the odor you spoke about was our bathroom cleaning product. The executive housekeeper believes the cleaning agent we use was not diluted with enough water. This may have caused the odor to be stronger and more lingering. I apologize for that. I am happy to learn that you would stay with us again.
Hicksville, New York
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Stayed here for an installation dinner.Rooms have been recently renovated/updated.Check in was quick.Pool area is nice.Had a good nites sleep on their new mattresses!Also had breakfast in morning.We did the buffet.The only thing negative was some of the items seemed like they were from function nite before and didn't hold up overnite.(mini fruit cups/desserts) but room/staff for stay was good. As for the performance of dinner itself-I would probably not have large function here but thats a diiferent review.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
EllenRuane, General Manager at Hilton Long Island/Huntington, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Dear Brighteyes67:

Thank you for your review of the Hilton Long Island. I am pleased that you noticed our recent renovation. I am glad to learn you had a comfortable night's stay and found check in quick and our pool nice.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Stayed here for business for two nights. After a long flight and a drive on the Long Island Expressway (that was longer than the flight!), the front desk staff was warm and welcoming. They invited me to the complimentary wine and cheese table before going to my room - exactly what I needed! Nice large comfortable room, free parking, and great staff. Definitely would recommend a stay here at this hotel. Priceline deal was unbeatable; 210.00 for two nights.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
EllenRuane, General Manager at Hilton Long Island/Huntington, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear ChicagoDocJerry:

Thank you for your flattering words about our hotel! The staff and I are pleased that the various amenities served you well during your stay. Please join us again soon. W we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.
Indialantic, Florida
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Business travel is not easy. However, I booked a short notice trip to Long Island and was nervous to stay at this Hilton, because I have never stayed here before. I can say that the front desk staff is tremendously gracious, friendly, and attentitive. Sean McDonald and Imran took care of a minor room adjustment inconvenience with out blinking. The fast service and the level of professionalism is appreciated by this HHonors member. The hotel is very clean, updated room decor, spacious, and bright. I hope my experience was not just positive due to HHonors status, because I would recommend this hotel for anyone who needs to stay in the area.

Date of stay: June 3rd-4th

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear RL5533:

Thank you for your very favorable comments regarding our staff and hotel. We strive to provide each guest with first class service, and I am pleased to learn you enjoyed your stay. Please visit us again soon for another great visit!
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Stayed with kids on the Saturday for Mother's Day. Check-in was quick. The room experience was upgraded since last year. New decor was inviting and comfortable. The thermostat and heating/cooling was fine vs. problems last year. Gone is the ancient boxy tv, replaced with a flat screen. With kids, the pool is important for us. The pool was a bit on the cold side. Adults get used to it, but my 3 y.o. started shivering after 20 minutes.
Parking was fine, even with a wedding in the hotel that night.
There is a new steak restaurant there. We didn't go, but the front desk offered a coupon for free appetizer with entree. Ordered room service. The prices seemed reasonable. Food was good.
Wifi not free. Overall, a very good experience.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
EllenRuane, General Manager at Hilton Long Island/Huntington, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear Shawn K:

I was pleased to learn you enjoyed your stau with us on your return visit. We are very satsified with newly renovated hotel. I appreciate you commenting on our new decor and environment. We looking forward to servng you in the future.
Roosevelt, New York
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Had the perfect HILTON welcome. Greeted with my name, acknowledged as a HHONORS member, and verification of my room preferences. Pleasantly surprised when given an upgrade from king bed to the Executive King Corner Room. This enabled access to the private Executive Concierge Lounge which includes breakfast, hot dinner, and dessert at varying times. A nice perk.

The room was spacious and included a dining area, living room and bedroom. It was an open space between bedroom and living room with a single wall partition between the two rooms. There was a flat screen TV in both the living room and bed room. In the bathroom it had a vanity area that led to the toilet and shower area.

The room could have used a better cleaning. We saw fingerprints on the bedroom mirror and there was garbage under the bed from the last guest.

The exercise room was decent. It had 3 treadmills, 2 ellipticals and one bike. It also had 2 reclining benches, exercise balls and dumbbells. There were also earbuds, towels, and apples to enjoy. Downside there was no A/C.

One of the main purposes in coming to Hilton was to play tennis on their private court. We noticed there was a portable basketball stand on the tennis court. We asked front desk to remove it twice and it was not accomplished while we were there.

Would rave about the place except the cleanliness of the bedroom and inability to correct tennis court issue.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Treishag:

Thank you for your favorable review. I am glad to learn you received your HHonors amenities and like the guest room and executive lounge. I am sorry that we did not move the basketball court upon your request. When you return, please contact me directly so that I may personally ensure your request is met.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Melville
Melville Marriott Long Island
Hilton Garden Inn Melville
Extended Stay America - Long Island - Melville
Homewood Suites Long Island - Melville
Courtyard Republic Airport Long Island/Farmingdale
Four Points by Sheraton
Four Points by Sheraton
#3 of 6 in Plainview

Been to Hilton Long Island/Huntington? Share your experiences!