“Average hotel with above average employees”

Hilton Long Island/Huntington
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Melville
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This full-service Hilton is an typical hotel property. A bit dated,but usable for business travelers.
Checking in was easy and welcoming despite the distance from the Marin entrance.
The staff were helpful especially the housekeeping. I left my Blackberry on checkout so I drove back several miles on my to JFK airport. I found the room already cleaned for the next guest and no phone. So I ask the housekeeping staff where I had a language barrier since they both spoke two different languages, but still were able to get me the information I needed to retrieve my phone. As a 20 year traveler, I can even over look the high-priced food and smaller than the FDA portion sizes. The executive floor did have a lounge for breakfast and late night cookies if the weather prevents you from venturing out.

The heating system really sucks. I froze my team members said they had the same issues on different floors as well. Hopefully, the air conditioning is better

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank MyZenworks
There are newer reviews for Hilton Long Island/Huntington

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Hotel location more of an industrial area, seems quite a lot of corporate clients are in and out of this hotel. You can use the hotel shuttle to get around or rent a car as there isn't too much in choices for eating, shopping or entertainment. Area too remote. 1 hour ride from JFK. Consider being stuck in traffic adds to frustration.
Hotel facilities are average, large hotel, lots of dead space in the lobby. Free wifi in the lobby. Staff try their utmost to please guests, although doesn't feel too much like a Hilton.
Best offer at hotel would be the hotel dining, great atmosphere, delicious food, excellent service. Another good feature are the beds, allow for good sleeping. Rooms a bit small and crammed.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank khristian14
EllenRuane, General Manager at Hilton Long Island/Huntington, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Dear Khristian:

Thank you for your review about our hotel. I was very pleased to learn that you found our staff to be helpful as well as finding our restaurant atmosphere to be great, our food delicious, and our service excellent.

We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We booked this hotel on Priceline, so we got a good deal, but I would not have been happy paying full price...

The Good:
Check in - The folks at check in were very speedy and nice. Priceline had put us in a room with a double bed and they were kind enough to give us the king since we were traveling as a couple.

Bed - Very comfortable as usual at a a Hilton. Great night's sleep

Pool - It was nice that they had a nice indoor pool/hot tub area for use in the Winter

Breakfast - We were there on a Saturday morning and enjoyed the $12.95 breakfast buffet. It could have been cheaper, but I have seen worse. Everything was hot and fresh and it included nice items like cheese blintzes. Everything was very tasty.

The Bad:
Room Maintenance - The sink in our room drained very slowly. My fiance and I have a home improvements business and did not feel like calling the front desk so he took it apart a little a removed a stuck hairband. It drained a bit better after this but was still slow. We did our customery bed bug check and foudn no evidence of bedbugs, but the bed encasement had a tear which made it pretty much useless.

Common Area Maintenance - It was nice to have the pool and hottub, and we used them anyway, but the hottub was in rather poor condition. Lots of the paint had chipped off inside so it really didn't look so hot. There was also some grit at the bottom. The fake rocks and real plants alond with a waterfall and glass ceiling was a nice idea, but the fake rocks were kind of falling apart. There was also a door slightly open with a hose running in for some reason and cigarette smoke would sometimes drift in which was not pleasant for us non smokers. It also would have been nice to have some real lounge chairs by the pool instead of just regular chairs.

Room Cleanliness - At first glance the room was clean and the bed was fine, but there were finger prints on the mirrors and we found a falsh eyelash on the counter in the bathroom. We also discovered, a wet spot on the floor that smelled alot like beer.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank marston258

Dear Marston258:

Thank you for your review. I was pleased to read that you found our staff to be nice and that they were able to upgrade you to a king sized room. I am glad you enjoyed our buffet breakfast. In addition to the blintzes, we offer waffles, made to order eggs, frozen smoothies and so much more. This year we will be refreshing our pool area. We always appreciate hearing about our guest’s observations, and we will address the housekeeping issues you noted immediately. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Worst experience and hotel ever stayed at. Service was horrendous. Claim they are pet friendly and must pay $50, I was embarrassed and called out at the bar by management staff about my dog barking.

No one knew when breakfast was missed it two mornings in a row because they sent me upstairs and downstairs saying it ended at 10 them 11...charged my card though it wasn't supposed to be charged.

Threw receipt at us saying to read charges.... Treated us like garbage. Never rate any place other than positive but u would never recommend nor stay at this hotel.

Extremely poor. The nice decor can't make up for the awful service and being treated like a second class citizen by multiple employees. Janett in the exec room was the only plus.

• Stayed: March 2013

Dear Guest:

I apologize that you were upset when our management staff asked you to attend to your barking dog. Although, we are a pet friendly hotel, we must ensure that pets do not disturb any of our other guests. Breakfast for your group was served on the fifth floor. There was signage indicating where and when breakfast was served. I am sorry you weren't aware of this. I will share your wonderful comments about Janet with her.

Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

Stayed two nights here as we packed our house prior to moving out of state.
Lovely service on the Executive floor. Beautifully decorated and spacious rooms.
Happy to recommend or return should the need arise!

• Stayed: March 2013
EllenRuane, General Manager at Hilton Long Island/Huntington, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Dear Marie O;

Thank you for your wonderful feedback. I was so pleased to learn you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to serving you again.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

We're at this hotel right now. Everything was great up until when we tried to connect the playstation 3 to the tv. Couldn't figure it out, so we called the front desk. Apparently, playstations and other gaming devices or dvd players ect. have been BLOCKED from all Hilton Hotels. So basically, they want us to rent THEIR movies. Okay, annoying but we looked at the movies. We go to pick a movie to rent and it's $18.00! You can BUY the dvd for that much money! What is wrong with these people? Scam us out of our own movie devices then charge almost FOUR times what a normal movie costs! If you want to watch movies or play games during your stay with items you bought for yourself that have nothing to do with the money hungry people of this hotel then DO NOT stay here. Their little policy states that if you're not "completely satisfied" with your stay you get your money back. That's a load of crap, don't count on these people to "satisfy" any of your needs without a price.

Room Tip: Don't bother packing your gaming system or dvds.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Nicole P
EllenRuane, General Manager at Hilton Long Island/Huntington, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Dear Nicole P:

I am disappointed to learn that you were unhappy that you could not connect your Playstation 3 to our television. Our movie system is outsourced to a third party who determines the pricing. I do appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

Stayed at this hotel on two different occasions in February and both trips were pleasant. Overall, the property is beautiful and the indoor pool and lobby area are well designed; the rooms comfortable and modern in decor. The staff offered exceptional service from the front desk to the restaurant - Mark at the front desk, Mr. Polite and Sean (the Front Desk Manager) are worthy of mention.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Latoya W
EllenRuane, General Manager at Hilton Long Island/Huntington, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2013

Dear LaToya W:

I was pleased to read that you find our staff to be exceptional. We greatly appreciate your high praises of Marc and Sean. We look forward to hosting you on your third visit to Melville and will once again welcome you back.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Melville
Hilton Garden Inn Melville
Melville Marriott Long Island
Extended Stay America - Long Island - Melville
Homewood Suites by Hilton Melville - NY Hotel
Four Points by Sheraton Melville Long Island
Hampton Inn Long Island/Commack

Been to Hilton Long Island/Huntington? Share your experiences!