“Hilton LI now sucks... Hotel staff was much better before the re model”

Hilton Long Island/Huntington
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Melville
Reviewed February 4, 2013

This is the second time I have stayed at this hotel in the past 3 months. Once after hurricane sandy ( when I had no heat and hot water in my home ) and to my surprise the hotel didn't have any hot water either not at 1am and not at 6am, besides the cold shower the tub didn't drain properly so not only were you showering in cold water, you were also standing in 3 inches of freezing water. The sink didn't drain properly either. I didn't complain because it was the only bad experience I have ever had at this hotel and I've been staying here for years. The only bad experience until tonight that is... I arrived about midnight checked in and went to my room. I went back to the car for another bag and when I came back down the hallway to my room there was a housekeeping cart next to my room. As I passed the cart to enter my room one of the housekeeping employees rolled out from in front of my door where she was apparently napping, right in front of a guests door. Not only did she scare me half to death but she also laughed at me becauseI screamed! I tried using the phone in my room to call the front desk 3 times and it wasn't working so I looked up their number and called from my cell to let the staff know I'm very uncomfortable with someone sleeping in front of my door, especially someone with a master key to all the rooms. The person I spoke to said they would take care of it right away. That was at 1:30am. It's now 2:31 and the cart is still outside my door. As for the employee I can't say for sure as I am scared to open my door and can not see the floor through the peep hole. So these are two very uncomfortable visits and even worse these 2 crappy visits cost me about $500. How would you feel about paying $250 and having an employee acting like a bum sleeping in front of your door in an "upscale hotel"? I could have stayed at a cleaner best western hotel closer to where I am going for less than half this price and here at the hilton I can't even get any sleep.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
EllenRuane, General Manager at Hilton Long Island/Huntington, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Dear True_review_536:

Thank you for taking time to write and share your experience. I am sorry that our housekeeper startled you last night. A new group of guests began staying with us on February 1st. They have arrivals and departure patterns that include check ins and check outs during the morning, afternoon, evening, and overnight. We have emphasized with our overnight cleaning staff that they be quiet in the guest room corridors while servicing rooms. They sometimes have to wait in the corridor for the guest to check out so that they can quickly clean the room for the new guest arriving. I do apologize that the tub and phone were not in working order in your guest room. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

Stayed here this week on a business trip, and I'm very confused as to what these other reviews are talking about. The lobby area was top notch and clean with a bar and a restaurant area, there were many patrons there. My room was clean and crisp, appeared to be recently renovated. Flat screen TV, couch with coffee table, plenty of work space. The pool area looked great, although I didn't go for a swim but you can see it from the lobby. Everyone that I encountered was pleasant and helpful. Good location on the same road with several chain restaurants, some local places, a movie theatre, a target, and more.

Room Tip: I stayed on the hhonors level
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
EllenRuane, General Manager at Hilton Long Island/Huntington, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

Dear SMan14:

Thank you for your favorable review. We did recently renovate. I was pleased to learn you found the staff helpful and pleasant and that you enjoyed the room and our lobby. We are lucky to be in such an ideal location. Thank you for being our guest, and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

I wish my husband and I read the reviews before we decided to stay here. As Hilton Honors members, you always expect service to be higher at the average or above categories. The reviews say it all. This property should not have the Hilton name as it's worst than terrible. All of the feedback given in the most recent reviews happen to us yesterday with some additional issues. Here they are:
2. Blood stain sheets
3. Dirt under the bathroom sink
4. Hair on the sheets and bath towels
5. Dirty tv cabinet with food/wine residue still on the counter
We were moved to another room which was no better. We literally had to carry the cleaner sheets from one room into another. We were offered one additional free breakfast which is already part of what you should receive as a gold member though the person who checked us in said we were only eligible for one. We got up in the morning and just left rather than stay any longer in a place that resembles a short stay hotel.

We'll never stay there again and will inform our family, friends and colleagues to stay away from this place.

Room Tip: Don't stay at this hotel
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Jeanette C

We addressed these issues personally with guest. We appreciate the feedback and are focusing on the service deficiencies.

Reviewed December 6, 2012

I had a few issues with my room including the temp. Others on here have the same complaint. Dinner was nice and the bar staff was very helpful. Bed was very conmfy but the room had some cleaning issues. It was alot to pay for the experience. Upon notifing the manager they reacted and apoligized to my satisfaction. I will give them another try.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Ron M

Dear Mr. Ron M;

Thank you for your response. I am glad you found our bed comfortable, dinner nice, and bar staff friendly. We have been making improvements with our heating and air conditing units. Mr. Ron M, we appreciate you being our guest.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

upon arriving at hotel we were informed that they could not locate our reservation. young lady at desk assured us not to worry that she had plenty of available rooms but needed to process us thru her manager. That is where our troubles began! We were told there were NO rooms available for the two nights we reserved. Since we were with a large group, I contacted my group manager who provided his confirmation number for all rooms reserved. The manager then became more obnoxious than he already was and stomped into the other room. He did come back with an available room. Upon checking into this room, we soon discovered that we could not control the temperature of the room which at the time of check in was well over 85 degrees.Two lights had burnt out bulbs and the phone next to the bed did not work. Reading lights were like strobe lights flickering. We called maintainance and a very personable handy man came to help with our problems. The bulbs in the lamps were replaced with very dim replacements. He could not help with the reading lights so we agreed to do without them. As for the heat situation, the only relief he could offer was to open the window which was bolted closed. This did cool the room down somewhat but now we had a noise problem to deal with. We listened to sirens and cars all night long. No climate control in a hilton hotel???. While attempting to sleep that night we noticed that one of the beds was at an angle and the person on that side of the bed was uncomfortable and felt as though they would fall off the edge. Again a call to the desk to have the bed fixed by the same pleasant handy man. The bathroom was discusting.The tub would not drain properly and the sink was old and cracked. Towels were stained and not pleasant to look at let alone use. I went to housekeepers who were working down the hall and requested replacements.Carpets were not very clean and very rough feeling. The small undercounter refridgerator also did not work. We used an ice bucket to cool our drinks. Breakfast Buffet was extremly terrible and very expensive. Way too many problems for one visit. I might add that in the course of the night there were 4 other lost reservations including some not in our party that I became aware of. Stay away from this horrible hotel and this unfriendly and grumpy front desk manager. Our club travels regularly and will not return to this hotel again. Should not be allowed to use the Hilton name

Room Tip: Don't be fooled by the exterior apperance of this hotel
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

We were here for a wedding... The venue was good. But the rooms!!! The worst! We must have about 20 rooms rented for the wedding party. And each and every room had issues! All the rooms have moldy bathrooms... Most rooms had heat and air conditioning issues! One of the rooms was extremely hot! Advice was to leave window open!
I would never go back ! I would advise u to stay away as well!

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank Littlebudha76
Reviewed November 24, 2012

We had a beautiful sweet 16 on November 23rd, however it was ruined when we learned our "secured" executive suite had been robbed. iPad, cash, phone stolen. Someone went into our executive suite set aside for the celebrant, stole her phone, my iPad and cash and security was not helpful. Furthermore, our suspicions of theft were confirmed when we found the celebrant's phone outside the hotel where only staff had access to; the phone was on the other side of the hotel (Thanks to PlanB android tracking app). The cops were called & took the matter seriously. My iPad is still missing but the sting of being violated by staff on such a special occasion will tarnish the memory of the night .

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank JoyceYemisiO
EllenRuane, General Manager at Hilton Long Island/Huntington, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Dear Dr. Yemisi O:

I appreciate speaking with you. As we discussed, we take this matter very seriously and are working with the police.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Melville
Hilton Garden Inn Melville
Melville Marriott Long Island
Extended Stay America - Long Island - Melville
Homewood Suites by Hilton Melville - NY Hotel
Four Points by Sheraton Melville Long Island
Hampton Inn Long Island/Commack

Been to Hilton Long Island/Huntington? Share your experiences!