“Wonderful”
Review of The Jewel

The Jewel
Reserve with OpenTable
The Jewel is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 58 Restaurants in Melville
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Route 110 / Rubies Corporate Plaza
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I wish this were a stand alone restaurant rather than in a commercial office building. It's very modern with lots of glass that when the sun goes down may want you to change your seat. The food is excellent and the service is very good, Prices are on the high side. They have a standard nightly special printed on the menu but there are more 'daily' choices to pick from. They have a "Chef's Room' that will handle 4-12 people with a special reservation. Great for that special occasion or if you want to impress someone. The chef comes out and asks your guests for allergies or unobjectionable foods and then makes a selection of courses for the group. Expensive but very private. Their pizza appetizers are enough to share and a good choice.

There are newer reviews for The Jewel

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Visiting family in the area, I was staying just down the road at the Huntington Hilton, and I wanted a new dining experience. I grew up nearby and so I had tried all the local joints. I stumbled upon The Jewel by looking through the reviews at Open Table, and it looked like an interesting choice.

The decor was eclectic and fun: fountains, colored lights, walls of water, lamps with shades hanging upside down from the ceiling. I showed up for dinner on a Saturday night with my 6-year-old daughter, and the place was jammin'. Despite having a reservation, they tried to get us to sit at the high-top tables by the bar, but I asked a "real" table in the dining room, and they obliged. We were seated near the kitchen, a large glass wall dividing the dining room from the bustling activity on the other side.

The menu had a wonderful variety of dishes that I wanted to try...too bad the wife wasn't here to share some of them with me. But I ordered the tuna tartare for my appetizer, and it was delicious: absolutely fresh, with red ginger, chili and soy. My only complaint might be the heavy-handedness of the sesame seeds, though tasty, got stuck in my teeth a lot. Our server gave us a huge list of specials for the evening and it truly was hard to choose what to have as my main course, but I went with my gut and ordered a grilled veal chop special that turned out to be the best veal chop I've ever eaten...period. So tender and flavorful, with beautiful grill marks, it had to have been brined before cooking. The large bone sat on a bed of baby potatoes and broccoli raab and I polished the whole thing off.

There's no children's menu at The Jewel, but they were more than happy to accomodate my daughter nonetheless. An entree of pork featured a side of mac and cheese, so I knew that the ingredients were in-house, and that it could be a possibility. Our server reported that the chef would make a main dish of it for my daughter, leaving out all the extra "adult" garnishes and ingredients that I knew my daughter wouldn't want. It was perfect.

The place is huge...private areas for parties, a large dining room, more seating by the bar. Long Island is...how should I say this?...full of very high-maintenance people. I grew up here. I watch them order and react with the staff. I've found that a good or bad dining experience is not just based on the food and service, but the attitude of the customer right from the point where he sits down at the table. Come here with the right attitude, and you can't help but have a fun dining experience.

Reviewed May 25, 2013

This was our first time at Jewel. It has a nice atmosphere but lacks elegance. The place was full on the Friday night we were there. The menu seems to be more limited than wine selection but they also have specials to make up. They also have a few of their own cocktail selection. I liked my margarita special. I went with golden beets salad with goat cheese which was good but I really enjoyed the lamb rack special which was excellent and recommend it.

Reviewed May 25, 2013

The decor is modern, clean and impressive. Tables are good sized and amply spaced. The noise level is low. The service is pleasant and attentive but mistake prone. I was brought he wrong appetizer. While it was exchanged for the correct one, which took a few minutes as it was grilled, my wife's lobster bisque was not taken away to be kept warm. As a result we did not eat our appetizers together. Also, a snack of olives which was to be eaten while waiting for the meal to begin, arrived after the appetizer, essentially, defeating its purpose. The lobster bisque was excellent. My appetizer of grilled octopus was served over a very tasty salad of onions, olives, potatoes and capers. The octopus, however, was tough. The entrees of poached lobster and sea bass were excellent. We will give the place a few months to work out the kinks and try again.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

Decor at Jewel is impressive. Everything else is inadequate. We had a reservation but there was no table for us and we had to wait. The food was very disappointing and very pricey considering the quality of it. The calamari salad was a potato salad with rare morsels of calamari. The sea bass although well prepared and fresh was absolutely raw. Desserts were served with much flourish but were very poor. The Tarte Tatin consisted of a few slivers of soggy over boiled apple sitting on a spongy mush. A diner would be embarrassed to serve such a tarte Tatin! When I complained to the waiter, he simply looked at me and burst laughing... So much for sophisticated service! No alternate dessert was offered, and we were charged $9 for this. I don't mind a stiff bill after a good meal, but I resent being ripped off and we were very much so that night!

2  Thank becjonyc