“The Polar Express”

Medina Railroad Museum
Ranked #1 of 11 things to do in Medina
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Took my 4-1/2 yr. old granddaughter to the Medina Railroad Museum's Polar Express trip. I actually screwed up and thought we were to get the train in Lockport. After waiting around and realizing that there was some mistake - drove like a crazy person to Medina and explained to the ticket lady that we had missed the 4:40 trip and had a very upset little lady hoping to get on the train. She managed to get us on an otherwise full train, luckily for me (instead of being the best Nana, I would have felt like the worst for goofing up!)
Let me tell you that although it is prob. a little expensive if you have a lot of kids...if they are at that right age, they will just love it! From the authentic looking tickets to the Hot, Hot, Hot cocoa servers, the conductor (owner Marty) coming around and punching the tickets, Santa and his elves getting on @ the North Pole - it was all just magical. The best part (even for this old grandma) was when Santa presented each child with their own "1st gift of Christmas bell" (engraved with Polar Express) Don't miss it. Was worth every penny. My granddaughter wanted to know if it was going to be morning when we got home ;-)

5  Thank Linda H
There are newer reviews for Medina Railroad Museum

Reviewed November 12, 2012

I took a mix of elementary and middle-school aged kids here for a random day off school, and it was a hit :)

The museum itself is a restored depot, fascinating for me, not so much for the kids. Inside, there is an HO scale train layout that is over 600 feet long and still growing. There are so many working trains and accessories that we circled the whole thing several times, just pointing and exclaiming over it.

Since I had younger kids, I brought a couple of road bingo games - the kind you play in the car that challenge you to find things like telephone booths, campers, motorcycles, barns, etc. They younger ones had a great time searching the layout and not only got bingo, but filled their boards!

The older kids were also interested in the large collection of memorabilia around the outside of the building. You can see everything from oxygen tanks to gears to railroad china to old tickets. It was a history lesson on display.

At the end of the day we stopped in the tiny gift shop for a few train-related items. Most of the kitsch in there is not of the same quality as the museum, but there are a few gems.

Someday we're going to come back and actually ride the train...

Reviewed October 28, 2012

Lots to see at this old railroad depot. The sponsored train rides in combination with admission makes for a fun day and a good value

Reviewed September 29, 2012

This place is a hidden gem in NW New York. The train layout is fantastic and comparable to Balboa Park in San Diego considering its size. The layout is over 600 ft long. The musuem sports firemen artifacts and a number of helmets from around the world. Other items on display are models of military aircraft, ships, and equipment. A great place to take kids that are into modeling and trains.

1  Thank HighPowerGuy
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Bring the kids or leave them home - if you like trains you must visit this museum. Bonus firematic and military displays. Spend some time talking with Marty if you can get him to stand still long enough. Huge train layout with more in development. If the excursions are as good as the museum and staff they would be well worth it. We plan to return for one in the near future.

1  Thank NoScheduleTraveler