“What a difference a year makes”

Fairfield Inn Medford Long Island
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Medford
Toms River, New Jersey
“What a difference a year makes”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I've stayed at this Marriott before and had a really good experience. This year, not so much. This trip to Long Island is a yearly event and we're great fans of Marriott properties. We looked forward to our stay thinking it would be another solid experience. What a disappointment.

We arrived later than planned about 11pm after stopping for dinner on the way. When I walked up to the front desk I was slightly put off as I wasn't even greeted by the front desk clerk beyond what could best be described as a sour look. I stated I had a reservation to which the response was "name?", followed by "I need your photo id and credit card" which I promptly supplied. Then, "do you have your AAA card" since I qualified for a slight discount. During this time, the clerk answered the phone, walked away to help to someone else, never said "excuse me" or even offered a greeting or made eye contact. Then in a slightly annoyed tone said, "Staying only one night" which I assume was retorical.This person was just as rude and short with people she talked to on the phone while we stood there.

The other clerk was obviously new and not up to par. Unable to field phone calls or even unable to remember what guests requested while we stood there and communicate it to maintenance staff. Fortunately we remember the room number and the request and were able to help.

When we asked if there was a specific area to park to door to use that was closer to our room, the response was that we should park behind the hotel next door. We were totally turned off at this point. And we just walked away.

The room was clean although it was musty and everything, including the frig was turned off. The entry way light was out and the extra towels requested were not there. The room never cooled off all night making it hard to sleep.

In the morning I thought I'd mentioned our experience from the night before but no one even asked how our stay was. This is not the Marriott experience I am used to and will probably send a letter on to the corporate office with the names of the people we dealt with.

So, if all you need is a clean room at an extremely high price this will be okay. Just don't expect a smile or any welcome at all. Apparently, they feel like you should be glad you got a room at all!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor. Lot's of families with small children who like to bounce on the beds at 5a...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank myhrse11
Fairfieldinnmedford, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Medford Long Island, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback from your recent stay at our hotel. On behalf of our entire team, I apologize if your experience was less than 100% satisfactory.

Your feedback is valuable to us. It enables us to improve our customer service and Hotel.
Again, I apologize for the inconveniences during your stay and hope to see you during your next visit.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at the Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Suffolk County
Reviewed August 27, 2012

This is a very clean, nice place to stay. The price usually around $100-ish, but it's well worth staying in a clean place. Never have had a problem at all. Friendly staff...Has a decent size pool and a big hot tub. Has comfy beds and very nice, large, updated bathrooms. Always have had working air conditioning that gets very cold all 3 times I have stayed. Free parking, nice TV's. Located right off the LIE so it's very easy to get to and close to everything. Always have enjoyed my stay, and will stay again in the future.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank chrissya_810
Fairfieldinnmedford, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Medford Long Island, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review the Fairfield Inn-Medford Long Island on Trip Advisor. We truly appreciate your positive comments regarding our Hotel and our Staff. We try our best to achieve 100% Guest Satisfaction.
We are thrilled you have stayed with us so many times. Would love to meet you and thank you in person on your next stay.
Thank you very much!!!
Reviewed August 24, 2012 via mobile

I was doing some business during the day and since I was so far east in Long Island decided to enjoy the weekend here. Lovely hotel this is. Very comfortable, quiet, and a very friendly high quality staff. Enjoyed my stay, would recommend the hotel to others.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Fairfieldinnmedford, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Medford Long Island, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our Hotel on Trip Advisor.
We appreciate your positive comments about our Hotel and our Staff!
We hope if you are ever in the area again, you will stay with us!
Reviewed August 23, 2012 via mobile

Was here for 2 nights for the baseball heaven tournament. Would have stayed somewhere else but got a team deal through a package deal. If it wasnt for the commaraderie that occured on the last night, it would have been a total let down. There is no room service, no real service of any kind. Pool/gym seem to be nice. Won't be back

• Stayed September 2011
2 Thank SirPappageorgio
Thank you for your recent review of our Hotel. Due to our close proximity to Baseball Heaven, we have Teams staying here often We are sorry you felt "let down".
Our Hotel is a Select Service Hotel in the Marriott family. We offer many amenities including Complimentary Deluxe Continental Breakfast, Indoor Pool, Spa and Fitness Center and Complimentary High Speed wireless internet throughout the Hotel. In addition, all of our Guest rooms have Brand new Microwave and Refrigerators.
Fairfield Inn by Marriott Hotels,unfortunately do not have restaurants on property, therefore we are unable to offer Room Service.
We hope that you will give us another chance, if you are ever in the area gain.
Hillsboro, Oregon
Reviewed August 23, 2012

We spent 5 night at the hotel and have no complaints. The staff was friendly, the room comfortable and quiet. For the price this is a great place and very conveniently located for sightseeing on the rest of the island.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are quieter.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
We appreciate your wonderful review of the Fairfield Inn-Medford Long Island. Thank you!
Stone Mountain
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Spent 6 night at the hotel while visiting family in Long Island, and I was very pleased. The three things I look for in a hotel are the 1) Price/Value. 2) Product, 3) People/Staff. The price for this hotel located in Long Island was in my opinion a great value. The hotel was very clean,and and the maid service could not be better. They were kind and really did a great job cleaning the room. The free breakfast really came in handy, and while it was not a hot breakfast it really a nice touch. Pool and Hot tub was very clean and was a good escape when I was able to get some me time. Yes the bed was not as comfortable as my bed at home, but it did not cause me to loose any sleep. Near the end of the week there was a little league baseball team that checked in and there was a little more noise than earlier in the week, but again it was not unbearable. But what really sold me on this hotel was the customer service at the front desk. Both Tara and Mandy were so nice and called me by name each time they saw me and I was very impressed with that. I plan to stay there each time I return to Long Island for a extended visit,

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Punkypo
Fairfieldinnmedford, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Medford Long Island, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Thank you very much taking the time to write such a positive Trip Advisor review regarding your recent stay the Fairfield Inn-Medford Long Island.
Manny, Tara and the entire Staff appreciate your kind words.
We are glad you enjoyed your visit to Long Island and are looking forward to your next trip.
Key West, Florida
Reviewed July 22, 2012

I recently stay-cationed at the Fairfield Marriott and was extremely pleased with this hotel. The front desk staff as not only friendly, but extremely helpful. Our room was very clean, down to every last detail. I was pleasantly surprised with the free wifi and delicious complementary breakfast! Every staff member worked hard to ensure a great experience for us. I would definitely stay there again!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Linds F
Fairfieldinnmedford, General Manager at Fairfield Inn Medford Long Island, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Thank you very much for your kind words regarding our Staff and our Hotel.
We appreciate your taking the time to write the review.
We hope that if you are ever in the area, again you will choose to stay at the Fairfield Inn-Medford Long Island.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Medford
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#2 of 3 in Medford
Hampton Inn Long Island - Brookhaven
SpringHill Suites Long Island Brookhaven
Ramada Plaza Holtsville Long Island
Residence Inn Long Island Holtsville
La Quinta Inn & Suites Islip MacArthur Airport

Been to Fairfield Inn Medford Long Island? Share your experiences!