“Not my first choice for Chautauqua”

Chautauqua Belle Steamboat
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Mayville
Reviewed July 13, 2012

My better half and I spent a week at the Chautauqua Institution. In our limited free time, we decided to take the 2 hr. ride on the Chautauqua Belle sternwheeler. If you are embarking on the grounds of the Chautauqua Institution, be aware that there are no signs to indicate precisely wehre the Chautauqua Belle "docks". They need a sign of some sort there to avoid confusion. As for the boat ride itself, the narration was fairly well done, but there were huge segments of the lake for which there was no narration, especially between Mayville and Chautauqua on our return. What narration there was at this point was devoted to the history of the vessel and how it was saved/restored. It is wonderful that this vessel is still in operation, but on the portion of the ride between Mayville and Chautauqua, the vessels cruises pretty much in the middle of the lake, so you will not be getting any birds eye view of anything on the shores of the lake. The half of the route from Chautauqua to Mayville was much more interesting.

1  Thank pasbuffalo

Reviewed July 10, 2012

Nice boat ride, nothing great. Great story of the young man that saved the steamboat and got it back into working order.

2  Thank DonnaB22
Reviewed July 9, 2012

A wonderful way to see the sights in and around beautiful Chautauqua Lake.

2  Thank Michaelle A
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I have lived in the area for over 15 years. I often thought of taking this trip, but never got around to it. Then the Belle ended up in Dry Dock. I'd ask neighbors, who said "No, not this year". There it sat. I thought I missed my chance.

The Chautauqua Belle is one of 4 Steamboats still running on lakes and rivers in the US. One of the others is the Minne-ha-ha, which operates on Lake George, NY, and I was also on that boat a few years ago,

The Chautauqua Belle now, since 2007, runs usually in the northern half of Chautauqua Lake, and the scheduled runs are two hour cruises, which make two stops - Mayville, NY and the Chautauqua Institution. You can board at either location, but most folks do so at Mayville.

In 2007, it was finally back in the water. Four years, and I still hadn't tried it.

Then along came a GROUPON, and I bought it. My day off was Wednesday, and my wife was off as well. We called and made plans for the 1:00 pm trip, and got there just in time.

This was one of the narrated runs. Not all of them are. The young man (then 18!) who saved this great steamboat from the scrap heap, has recorded a terrific narration, including sights, history, and tall tales. It turns out he is now serving in the US Armed Forces overseas.

I don't know why I waited so long. It was very informative, the weather was perfect, the Captain and crew added more local flavor.

I recommend this attraction to both locals and visitors to the Chautauqua area.

$15 for adults and $10 for kids. Well worth it.

6  Thank nysq1
Reviewed July 25, 2011

I have been on this boat ride in the past but it had been quite a few years ago. Went on a cocktail cruise with friends and had a great time. Our tickets had been purchased prior to our arrival and when we were waiting to board, a tour bus had approached. They had arranged to have dinner on the boat and had reserved the entire top level. So, we were to remain on the first level until they were dropped off about an hour into our ride. Considering it was an hour and a half tour, was somewhat disappointed. The staff was great and were very apologetic. Bar was open to purchase beverages.

1  Thank MKRENEE