“Experience Chautauqua Lake”

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Experience Chautauqua Lake”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

A wonderful way to see the sights in and around beautiful Chautauqua Lake.

Visited July 2012
2 Thank Michaelle A

Rochester, New York
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“One of only 4 left. This one has a GREAT Story to go with it!”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I have lived in the area for over 15 years. I often thought of taking this trip, but never got around to it. Then the Belle ended up in Dry Dock. I'd ask neighbors, who said "No, not this year". There it sat. I thought I missed my chance.

The Chautauqua Belle is one of 4 Steamboats still running on lakes and rivers in the US. One of the others is the Minne-ha-ha, which operates on Lake George, NY, and I was also on that boat a few years ago,

The Chautauqua Belle now, since 2007, runs usually in the northern half of Chautauqua Lake, and the scheduled runs are two hour cruises, which make two stops - Mayville, NY and the Chautauqua Institution. You can board at either location, but most folks do so at Mayville.

In 2007, it was finally back in the water. Four years, and I still hadn't tried it.

Then along came a GROUPON, and I bought it. My day off was Wednesday, and my wife was off as well. We called and made plans for the 1:00 pm trip, and got there just in time.

This was one of the narrated runs. Not all of them are. The young man (then 18!) who saved this great steamboat from the scrap heap, has recorded a terrific narration, including sights, history, and tall tales. It turns out he is now serving in the US Armed Forces overseas.

I don't know why I waited so long. It was very informative, the weather was perfect, the Captain and crew added more local flavor.

I recommend this attraction to both locals and visitors to the Chautauqua area.

$15 for adults and $10 for kids. Well worth it.

Visited July 2011
6 Thank nysq1
Erie, Pennsylvania
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Enjoyable”
Reviewed July 25, 2011

I have been on this boat ride in the past but it had been quite a few years ago. Went on a cocktail cruise with friends and had a great time. Our tickets had been purchased prior to our arrival and when we were waiting to board, a tour bus had approached. They had arranged to have dinner on the boat and had reserved the entire top level. So, we were to remain on the first level until they were dropped off about an hour into our ride. Considering it was an hour and a half tour, was somewhat disappointed. The staff was great and were very apologetic. Bar was open to purchase beverages.

Visited July 2011