“Amazing Wine, Food, and Service.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shinn Estate Farmhouse

Shinn Estate Farmhouse
Ranked #2 of 2 Mattituck B&B and Inns
Brooklyn, New York, United States
“Amazing Wine, Food, and Service.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

My wife and I spent our recent wedding anniversary at Shinn Estates. We were already fans of their wine and when we learned they had a guest house we thought it would be a perfect home base for our North Fork vacation. It turned out even better than we imagined. The rooms are very comfortable and they supply complimentary wine each evening. Barbara serves breakfast each morning which was some of the best meals we've ever had. The eggs are literally gathered that morning from their hens. The staff at the winery was friendly and helpful as we planned the rest our trip and they were more than happy to help us ship wine back to the city, even though some of it was from other wineries. Finally, their wine is some of the best on the North Fork and their sustainable farming practices are an inspiration. We would highly recommend staying at Shinn while on the North Fork.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Plymouth, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

Totally charming experience. The work that goes into the maintenance of this beautiful piece of property is incredible. Staff great,. especially Jamie in tasting room. Hard work and it shows. Highly recommend staying there. Peaceful!
M&T
Plymouth Ma.

1 Thank Marie Y
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 1 night after a family member highly recommended it to us. When we arrived, we enjoyed a wine tasting out on the patio of the lovely tasting room and walked through the vineyards. The staff was very friendly and knowledgable. When our room was ready, we headed in for a little nap after having a lot of afternoon wine :) Our room was really beautiful and we appreciated all of the rustic decor. Everything was extremely clean and we had a beautiful view of the vineyard. We instantly felt extremely relaxed being here. It was truly a peaceful and pleasant place to stay. Before heading out to dinner, they had left a bottle of wine and some snacks out for us to enjoy, everything was delicious. We dined at nearby Italian restaurant "A Mano" which was absolutely wonderful and would highly recommend.
In the morning, we enjoyed a DELICIOUS, fresh breakfast made with local and organic ingredients. We even got to sit out on the patio and listen to a passing thunderstorm which happened to be so peaceful and relaxing. I even got some really great decorating ideas for my home because I loved the way everything was designed/decorated! We left feeling renewed and rejuvenated. I wish I could have stayed longer, and I cannot wait to return to this cozy sanctuary.

1 Thank Snicks22
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed here for my husband's birthday weekend, and it was fabulous. The inn is lovely and so peaceful, Barbara and everyone at the winery were so friendly and accommodating, the room was very comfortable and the breakfasts were delicious.

They give you a free tour and wine-tasting as a guest, which was great. Shinn is a perfect representation of the area, which is pastoral and low key with plenty of charm and relaxed elegance.

It was a fantastic place and we would absolutely go back.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Porchside room. Very nice and really comfortable, well appointed. The only drawback...
1 Thank Beth L
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

I recently had the pleasure of staying at Shinn Estate Farmhouse in Mattituck, New York. For two days my wife and I were in heaven. Barbara Shinn and her husband David Paige, the estate's owners, have done an incredible job making their bread and breakfast a cozy oasis. I felt like I was staying at a boutique B&B with its rustic chic decor. The rooms are tastefully decorated and I love the color scheme in each of the rooms. One of the best moments of our stay was breakfast. Since it was served at one particular time daily, guests who wanted to partake had to come down and sit at a farm style table in the kitchen. Not only was the food delicious but the table set up encouraged guest interaction. During our stay, the conversation with the other guests was lively and breakfast lasted longer than we expected both days. That was a fun way to meet new people and learn about all there's to do in the area.

The staff at the estate was great. With our stay, we received a free wine tasting and everything we sipped was worthy of purchasing. Don't expect a big sales push during the tasting. They really let your taste buds do the talking. If you stay during the week, which we did, I encourage taking the vineyard tour. It comes with a binder that contains stories that accompany makers along with way. This is a great way to learn about the Shinn's commitment to farming and will really make you appreciate the experience more.

We had such an amazing time that we're planning on going back. I can only imagine how beautiful it is in the fall. Here are some photos from our stay. Some are from the Shinn Estate and others are from different wineries we visited:

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Poughkeepsie, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

I absolutely loved my stay at Shinn Estate Farmhouse. The house and rooms are beautifully furnished. The setting is intimate and pastoral. The staff and owners are gracious and welcoming. The breakfast prepared by the winemaker was superb, and made from mostly ingredients sourced right from the farm. This is without a doubt one of the best values out there! A truly unique and wonderful place to stay when you are visiting the North Fork. I can't wait to return!

New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

Barbara and David made such a special wedding day for us. My family stayed at the bed and breakfast which I can honestly say my mother is still raving about the food and how lovely the B and B was. Its a great space to stay in....Very modern, clean, and comfortable.

As for the wedding itself they were very helpful throughout the planning process, coordinating, and adding special details that added to the overall experience. The wine, thought process behind it, and the beautiful vineyard itself was why we selected the space. The food was phenomenal and I must say I had so many people say to me afterward that it was the best wedding food they had ever had. Thank you again for everything Barbara and David!

1 Thank natrebuck
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mattituck
Hotel Indigo East End
The Duncan Inn
#1 of 1 in Jamesport
Jedediah Hawkins Inn & Restaurant
Stirling House Bed and Breakfast

Been to Shinn Estate Farmhouse? Share your experiences!