“Great Find”

8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Great Find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

Was on my list to visit and if I had missed it, I would have been sorry. Actually purchased a case of wine to ship home. Very cool vibe here and the wine is excellent!

New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Not worth your time or money”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

We were 7 professional women, arrived on time with our limo for our stated reservation and were not served. I had some questions as to why. The owner stated he felt we had too much to taste already. He delivered this incorrect message in a very unprofessional and intimidating manner. My feeling is that would not have happened if that were 7 men or women with men. This is not the way to encourage business. We have never had such an experience and we have been visiting the Vineyards for 20 years.
ERof LI

Visited November 2013
3 Thank Rixatrix2013
Long Island
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Don't expect to laugh or enjoy yourself!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

My girlfriends took me by limo to the vineyards for my 50th birthday, something I have always wanted to do. We stopped at a few and had so much fun, live music, lots of others celebrating around us, just a great time. Well then the final stop was Shinn. It was sooooo quiet and the staff automatically wanted to seat us somewhere. We weren't looking to just sit. We wanted to go over to the bar and do our tasting. There were some tables taken, but other than that, you could hear a pin drop! We were chatty and giggly, just like all the people at all the other vineyards we had visited that day. Well when we went up to the bar we were told we could not be served. The bartender escorted us out and proceeded to say that one of us was inebriated and pointed the one lady out! That was embarrassing for her and I felt terrible that she then felt she was responsible for ruining my special celebration. We didn't even need to stay and hear the rest, we just moved on. If you are looking for the "fun" of the vineyards, listening to music, dancing and actually laughing and speaking with friends, PLEASE do not waste your time or money stopping here! To be treated like that was unacceptable and totally uncalled for. I guess they haven't visited the other vineyards!

3 Thank LongIslandLee
Bloomfield, Connecticut
“A special Getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

Very comfortable farmhouse in a quiet location. Great farm fresh breakfasts served with eye appeal. Lovely porch and winery to enjoy their own wines with cheese and crackers.

Brooklyn, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Used to be great...then we brought the kids”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

I have been to Shinn every year for the last seven years. I was very excited to bring my brother and his wife, who both live in the UK. We had my neice (10) and son (4) in tow. The first thing I noticed upon arrival is that they had expanded on their outside space, but it was not in keeping with the rustic barn tasting room, more of a Zen thing. The VERY first thing we heard is that one of us would have to abstain from the tasting due to the children - fine, we said. Not a terrible policy, designated driver, ok with that. But a bit of a shock, but no worries.
Second, we were told DO NOT PLAY WITH THE DOG. you have a dog outside at your vineyard, how is it that folks would not stoop to say hello? last, my sister in law went to move a chair outside to accommodate all of us - DO NOT MOVE THE CHAIRS!!! that was it - we hightailed it out there in seconds. I was shocked at what just took place. The really odd thing is that the militancy to which these requests were made - almost evangelical - ie. "you are all drunks and terrible parents to have brought children to this vineyard.'' This came from Mr. Page. He continued to yell at us while we left...I have met Barbara in the past and she seems quite nice. After asking around (we live in New Suffolk) I have heard that Mr. Page is known for his eccentricities, which is putting it nicely.
I have always enjoyed the wine at Shinn and the ambiance. Just be VERY careful about going here if you are with kids - in fact, I would avoid it completely. There are several wonderful vineyards with great wines nearby who are welcoming to ALL visitors - Lieb, Croteaux, Corey to name a few.

Visited August 2013