“Bring your earplugs... or better yet don't go at all”
Review of Quality Inn

Quality Inn
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Massena
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Everything about this hotel is wonderful, EXCEPT for something that's absolutely vital: noise privacy. The walls are so thin, you can hear everything in the room next to you. If your nighbor talks on the phone, you hear it like it's coming from inside your own room. If your neighbor turns on his TV, you'd better want to watch the same thing. As my neighbor arrived an unpacked his suitcase, I could literally hear every movement he made.

It's almost like having a roommate rather than a private hotel room. Although the service was good, the breakfast was great, and the room was perfectly clean, the complete lack of noise privacy made for a horrible stay. I would NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER recommend this hotel to anyone, except perhaps a deaf person who wouldn't mind. Do yourself a favor and try one of the other hotels in the area.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank BryanG589
QualityMassenaGM, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Thank you for your review. I'm sorry noise issues kept you from getting a good night's rest. We hope you will give us another opportunity in the future.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

When we checked in and saw our room, we were thrilled! The attached restaurant, very nice! The continental breakfast, loved it. Why you ask, did I only give this hotel a 2? I'll tell you with one very important word.....SOUNDPROOFING! After a long day on the road, we were very tired and just wanted a peaceful night's sleep. At exactly 12:15 a.m., our "next door neighbor" decided to make a 1.5 hour phone call on his cell. It not only woke us both us, but we could also hear EVERY SINGLE WORD HE SAID. I would only go back to this Quality Inn if I didn't have to sleep there, because believe me......you WON'T! Drive right on by.

Room Tip: If you could be on the end with nobody next door, maybe.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank WallkillMom
QualityMassenaGM, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts. I'm sorry you were unable to get a good night's sleep. I hope you'll give us another chance the next time you are in Massena.

Reviewed January 16, 2013

Life's about the choices we make, as they say, and Choice is usually not at the top of my list of hotel brands because their consistency varies tremendously, even within the same brand. This property is a prime example. On the outside, a solid, nice looking, well furnished building with adequate, if not luxurious, rooms. Beneath the surface, however, a textbook example of just plain poor management. The hotel was undergoing a renovation and I was assigned a room right in the middle of it -- with all adjacent rooms being actively worked in well into the evening hours. Better yet, the corridor and foyer of the room were ceramic tile, so construction noise resonated into my room. When I complained to the front desk (where the noise could be clearly heard from two floors above), the agent said the hotel was "full" and there was nothing she could do, but that "the workers were putting on their finishing touches" and would be leaving shortly. After two hours, the "finishing touches" extended past 10 PM and I again visited the desk. The agent finally realized I wasn't going to accept "can't", called her manager at home, and magically procured an alternate room in a non-construction section of the building. The difference between mediocrity and excellence is often found in unusual or stressful situations, and this hotel clearly fails that test. Renovations are a necessary evil in the business, but it takes a level of management finesse to navigate through them. For example: telling the guest up front at the point of reservation and/or check in about the renovation, including the hours and anticipated disruptions. Completing the renovation in sections and not selling rooms within (or below) that section. Not allowing construction work during the evening/night hours. And the biggest one: Not letting the problem escalate....do it right the first time. Tell the guest not what you CAN'T do but what you CAN do....and then DO it. "Manage" is a verb. The only other lodging option in this one-horse town is a budget motel, so perhaps there is no motivation for the QI to be more than just good enough. Alas, a bad Choice on my part. Perhaps next time I'll make a wiser Hilt...er I mean, choice. (OH WOW -- I just scrolled down to the guest comment about being told to come to the desk to get a toilet plunger....that sort of puts the whole thing into perspective....I wonder if the guest had to mop the floor too?)

Room Tip: A couple of options: Super 8 motel down the road (at least you'll get motel prices for motel se...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ROCchef
Reviewed January 12, 2013

I was here on business and chose this hotel, as there aren't many choices in the area. I (and everyone else) stayed on the first floor because there was work being done on the second floor. Anytime anyone walked out their door, it would SLAM behind them - very loud!! When I got back to the hotel after a long day of work, it seemed like I heard a SLAM every 45 seconds. The worst was in the morning; doors started SLAMming and waking me up before 5am. It was maddening. It would be pretty simple to eliminate this problem... management should have figured this out by now. Also, I found a sizeable spider in my room, and there were some cobwebs near the bed and corners. Disgusting - I'd rather sleep in my car.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank JamieLynn2158
QualityMassenaGM, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Thank you for your review. I appreciate you taking the time to pass along your comments. I am very sorry for the disturbances you and your family endured. I will look into this matter for you. If you wish to follow up with me personally please don't hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

We have been staying at this hotel for years and many room have been nightly updated. For the past several years, we have stayed on the 4th floor and there are employees living in the east wing. We have repeatedly been woken up in the am from kids screeching down the halls, banging on the walls, riding motorized vehicles up and down. Including being woken up on Christmas morning. We come from the west coast and rise later in the am, but this shouldn't matter as the above is unprofessional and really unacceptable. I complain to the front desk every year and they say they will speak to the family. This year another of our relatives was also on the 4th floor and said they were "doorbell ditched ". Really? Saw the kids running down the hall after loudly knocking on their door. Those children should not be allowed to roam the hallways.

Room Tip: 4th floor is noisy with kids
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Debi L
Reviewed January 7, 2013

When the toilet flooded - in a big way - I called down to the front desk and was told to come down and get a plunger. No concern, no apology, no offer to have a hotel maintenance employee come take a look at it. Not even an offer to take the plunger up the elevator. Just an irritated demand that I come down and remedy the problem myself.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank dodgerblue7
QualityMassenaGM, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

My sincerest apology for this incident. Absolutely inexcusable and unacceptable. Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel to discuss this issue.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

My son and I stayed one night during a visit to a local college. Overall, the hotel was ok, but perhaps a bit expensive for the value. The rooms were a bit noisy - not that well sound proofed. The hotel/room could use some updating, but were reaonably clean. The breakfast was average to above average; a decent selection of food (including make your own waffles), but the quality of the food was mediocre. The breakfast area was also somewhat cramped and crowded. Overall, the place seemed ok for a one night stay, but I wouldn't want to book it for several nights.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
QualityMassenaGM, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2012

Thank you for your review. I appreciate the feedback, and be assured, we will continue to improve the hotel with your help and that of all our guests. Hope to see again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Massena
Econo Lodge
Best Western Parkway Inn & Conference Centre
Ramada Cornwall
Ramada Cornwall
#2 of 12 in Cornwall

Been to Quality Inn? Share your experiences!