“The Best”

Village Inn
Ranked #17 of 40 Restaurants in Massena
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Family owned and operated since 1949. Third generation restauranteurs
Reviewed August 1, 2012

We go here several times a year. The chef has excellent specials along with the favourites of veal dishes,fresh turkey every day and
homemade desserts.
Every meal starts with a appetizer caddy with cole slaw, pickled beets
and bean salad or cottage cheese. Can't beat it.

1  Thank elle328

Reviewed May 7, 2012 via mobile

Great to find a restaurant in Massena, NY that has great food, service and atmosphere. Enjoy the specials or the full range of entrees on the menu. Love the lazy susan of salads between courses. Keep room for home made desserts!!

1  Thank RMGTravel
Reviewed September 23, 2011

My wife and I were looking for a place to eat while staying overnight in Massena. We happened to drive past this place on the way into town and decided to try it. Good choice! The service was friendly and attentive - one of the owners actually came over and asked if there was anything she could do for us while we were waiting for our meals. The appetizer included was what they call the "Lazy Susan" - four bowls on a small lazy susan. The contained cottage cheese (excellent), cole slaw (ditto), home made pickled beets (ditto again) and tomatoes in a dressing (same as the rest). A small loaf of fresh baked bread (still warm) with butter accompanied this. My wife ordered the turkey dinner and I got the St. Lawrence perch. Both meals were outstanding. The perch had a delicate, sweet flavor and was lightly coated - the best fish I have had in a long time. My wife's turkey came with dressing, cranberry sauce and potatoes, and she said it was excellent as well (and the taste I tried verified that). The cost for both of us came to about $30 - very reasonable for such a great meal! I would recommend this place to anyone and if I'm ever in Massena again intend to return there.

1  Thank catcher24
Reviewed September 12, 2011

The desk clerk at the Comfort Inn recommended this place and it was a great steak dinner at a reasonable price. Staff knowledge of, and the selection of, wines was seriously lacking for an semi-upscale restaurant, but the food menu is extensive.

2  Thank IMPEI
Reviewed September 6, 2011

I was visiting on business and found this gem on the outskirts of a very depressed community. They have been serving the North country and Canada since 1949. For me it was like stepping back in time while growing up, having the opportunity to eat at a family owned restaurant where they still cover the tables in white linen, serve food grown locally when available, nearly everything is homemade from scratch, and the prices kept me within my meager company budget.

The service was attentive. I was impressed by their teamwork, helping each other out instead of competing. It seems the staff knows just about everyone, mostly locals, so listening to the conversations around me while also having the opportunity to meet the owners or regulars is uncommon for most businesses but made me feel very welcome.

The menu is classic American with a Polish influence. I really enjoyed the cabbage rolls (a local favorite because its their grandmother's recipe), and also the veal dishes. They offered a good wine selection but are not pretentious with regard to labels. The soup special was corn chowder with crab - and its made from scratch one bowl at a time. The corn was picked from a farm down the street. Dinners are served with a salad condiment turnstyle with homemade cabbage slaw, bean salad, and pickled beats. Now that's old fashioned!

They have a nice bar and also provide banquet facilities. While I don't want to over-sell this restaurant, its obviously a local favorite that continues to do well. In every community you can find the same old food; Italian pizza and pasta, Mexican, Chinese, and greasy fried fast food - but what you don't often find is a Village Inn with wonderful attentive staff most of whom have worked there for years and still love it, really good homemade food with items not typically offered (escargot), and a place where I can take my family to teach my children what fine dining is really like.

5  Thank Boomerang025