“OMG, skip it!!!!”

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Massena
Plattsburgh, New York
“OMG, skip it!!!!”
Reviewed May 19, 2011

This was one of the worst places I've stayed. The room looked like something out of a garage sale mixed with bizzare, think pepto pink, paint. The sofa bed was hard as a rock as was the bed. Didn't dare sit in the chair that had a "throw" covering it. The smoke detector started alarming about 4pm and I had to go into the office and buzz for help and was told it was probably someone cooking and all the rooms alarm as a precaution---this was at 5pm. My Husband went over at 6pm because we couldn't take it anymore and feared it would go all night. Again the office buzzer for an attitude but she did come and remove the battery. I almost fell several times on the area rugs covering a 60"s well worn pink carpet. Oh yeah, we had to go get this women because our phone didn't work and she couldn't do anything about it! The TV was a 19 inch tube type---don't think they make them anymore---another garage sale find! The room border was chickens and to match that motif was a pair of them on a shelf. Silk--outdated and even Christmas flowers everywhere. The pros: easy to find and located; clean; great shower and plenty of hot water. Too many cons to list. Bottom line we couldn't sleep on the rock hard bed and left early to get out of there.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CoCoMcMulley
Michael S, Owner at Blue Spruce Motel, responded to this review, December 6, 2015
We are writing in response to a review from the prior owner. As of April 1st 2015 Mike and Gina Snyder are the new owners. Renovations began in February 2015. We have really accomplished a lot since you were here last. We hope you can forgive your first experience and give us another try. We are "Just a Little Bedder." We look forward to meeting you in your travels. Gina and Mike

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Portsmouth
Reviewed April 30, 2011

Stayed here with my boyfriend and our friend for one night, we were travelling from Niagara Falls/Toronto to Salem in NH and wanted to stop off somewhere for the night half way between the two. If you visit the website, the rooms are exactly as pictured. Really homely, felt as though we were staying in someones home rather than a motel which was nice. The lady who owns the motel is really friendly and gave us good advice on where to eat. We went to the Village Inn which is about a 5 minute drive down the road and is fantastic. All the food is homemade which is a refreshing change to some places. We had a queen bed suite which had a seperate bedroom with a queen and en-suite bathroom and then seperate kitchen/dining/living room area that had a single bed in it. Everything you need is there, it has a fully fitted kitchen and TV in the bedroom and living room. There is also free wifi. We felt really cosy hear and it was nice to be able to have a drink from a glass/mug not a paper cup! You could actually live here as it is more of an apartment than a room. The style of the place is quite eccentric but I thought it was great! Would definitely recommend/stay here again if we visit this area again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Hannah4585
Michael S, Owner at Blue Spruce Motel, responded to this review, December 21, 2015
Thank you for the wonderful review. My mother was your hostess in 2011. If you liked her your definitely going to like me. "Gina from Massena". They have told me I am just a younger version of her. I am honored to have that reputation. Look forward to meeting you in your journeys.
Jamestown, NY
Reviewed January 28, 2010

First of all, this place is spotless and the price was VERY affordable! Owner is chatty and helpful.
It was like living in a "Home Interiors" party with all the doo-dads and wall groupings. Not really my style, but it was pleasant nonetheless. My teenage daughter loved it though with all it's frou-frou-ness. We had a nice recliner chair to relax in and the bed was really comfy. . Again, I stress the cleanliness and the price. If you like the big-chain hotels with room service, this is not for you. But if you're looking for a nice comfy clean place to spend the night, don't hesitate to stay at the Blue Spruce. And by the way... nothing is nailed down like at the Holiday Inn. Like staying at Grandma's.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank Katherine H
Michael S, Owner at Blue Spruce Motel, responded to this review, October 31, 2016
Thank you for supporting my Mom. We filled up a 20 foot trailer full of moms home interior and do-dads. (Mom must have liked to dust..I do not) My parents had a great vision. I am honored my mom changed her mind and gave my husband and I this opportunity. You can see walls now...LOL and the remarkable oak trim and doors. Changes are happening daily here. You see your hard earned money being spent to make the Blue Spruce Motel "Just a Little Bedder" Mike and I have been at this for over a year now and hope you get back this way and let us know personally how were doing oh yeah PS prices increased since moms days....those days are over.
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed June 24, 2009

Spent a night in Massena with my wife. We picked this motel and we were surprised at what we found. A nice room, cozy, neat and very quiet. Owner was very friendly and made sure we liked what we had.

Room had a nice feeling to it and had everything we needed.

Value for sure...would stay again for sure.... and this little secret needs to be found while in Massena, NY!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jacckk8
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed November 5, 2008

The Blue Spruce is a clean, locally owned motel that's pleasantly decorated and well-equipped. The owners have added their personal decorative themes in a variety that's usually not found in a motel. The location is convenient to any destination in this part of the North Country. When you book, be sure and verify your rate since the website may not be up to date on current room rates.

• Liked — Clean and convenient
  • Disliked — With they'd add WiFi service.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank DavidLou
New York
Reviewed October 23, 2008

This hotel is at least $5 cheaper than most of its competitors in Massena. It's not a national brand, it's family owned. The room I stayed in was very new and clean, and was filled with lots of decorative touches that gave it lots of charm and made it very family friendly. I was traveling alone but wouldn't have hesitated to bring kids.

• Liked — Decorations and charm
  • Disliked — Had to wait for front desk clerk who was showering
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank tccc12321
Also consider these accommodations in or near Massena
Econo Lodge
#2 of 12 in Cornwall
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#8 of 12 in Cornwall

Been to Blue Spruce Motel? Share your experiences!