“New Orleans cooking”
Review of Big Daddys

Big Daddys
Reserve with OpenTable
Big Daddys is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 131 Restaurants in Massapequa
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 6, 2018

Traditional southern cooking. Great spices without biting back. Spirited atmosphere. Good prices. Large portions

Reviewed August 6, 2018 via mobile

This place is run impeccably. Staff is top shelf, food is top shelf as are drinks and music. Blackened steak is to die for. When in the area give it a shot you will not be disappointed.

Reviewed July 18, 2018

We have lived not far from here for a couple decades and had heard about this venue from a frequent diner there, yet never visited until my sons wanted to go for birthday celebrations. What have I missed all this time! Very attentive wait staff who were equally as sweet and polite. Generous pours on hard liquor mixed drinks. Both visits, 4 mos apart were the same as far as quality and quantity of food and wait staff, drinks. As I LOVE Shrimp ‘n Grits, I made a special request of the chef, as this IS a southern themed restaurant. They were great! Again, generous portion of food and shrimp. My family also enjoyed their choices of a large waffle covered with pulled pork, chicken and bacon and bbq sauce which was very tasty! BBQ ribs and chicken were enjoyed by my husband and double apps for another son. He enjoyed his chicken wings and Devilishly spices mussels. This is a very relaxed venue where shorts and T shirts will suffice. Looking forward to a return visit. Just sorry we missed out on all this great food for all these years.

Reviewed June 19, 2018

Always a fun place and always good food and drink. Tommie the manager is fantastic. My favorite is the pasta jumbalaya

Reviewed June 18, 2018

Now, I don't want to count this place out just yet because it has really good qualities but let me just explain my experience and you be the judge.

I booked a reservation on the website for father's day. I did get confirmation that day that the reservation was cancelled via email. I never called to inquire for a cancellation. They said they could still accommodate us but I was a bit panicked when I found day of I may have to scramble to find another place. We got there we did have to wait a half an hour which was ok but one gentlemen came in behind us and he was told he could not make reservations. So I do not understand why I was able to make the reservations in the first place.

Now, I knew they had "brunch" on Sundays but I did not see anywhere there would only be a very selective brunch menu for that day. So, my party was not happy with the limited options they had to choose from. There really are some people who do not believe in the concept of brunch. I do not fault them for having a limited menu on a special day but I wish I knew prior to picking the location. I can not speak for Sundays in general but I did not see a "Sunday is brunch only" notation.

So when they say their food has heat, they aren't kidding. We ordered gator and I know New Orleans heat but that was a bit to much for me. I liked the fact I could get something unique like gator BUT it was way to spicy and it was a bit chewy. I have had gator in the past and the other ones were so tender and enjoyable. Again not bad it was just different.

The entrees were good. I enjoyed what I go. I got shrimp and grits. Although it was a bit "average" and had a feel of more home cooked and not restaurant quality. I would have it again because it really great flavor, I feel I might take what I saw and play with it in my own home kitchen. My mom got chicken and waffles and also very good. That would is something I would come back to try again.

What can I say about the staff? VERY nice but it seemed to have a bit of a disconnect. We went a while without ask of drink refills and when ordering the refills the waitress placed the order but a runner had to bring the drink. Which is weird because I saw the wait staff standing NEXT to my drink sitting there and was talking to other wait staff. The food though did come up pretty fast which is always a plus.

Also, live band was pretty cool but it was hard to hear because of the people in the place... so it was kind of neutral to me.

Finally, The restaurant itself. it's one of those places with a bunch of metal chairs and tables and nothing crazy fancy. It did have "kitsch" that is reminiscent of New Orleans and it was cool. But there are small things that I guess I am getting picky with but I just left scratching my head. First, the temperature in the restaurant. I left sweating and it was NOT because of the heat of the food. It was VERY warm in there. Which can be blamed for a lot of people in there but knowing that maybe busting up the ac might have been a good idea. They put water on the table when you first sit down. HUGE bonus but they give you almost shot glass size cups. When you have spicy meal you want a drink bigger than a shot glass. Also stating before the other drinks were not quick to the table so perhaps investing in bigger glasses might be a better idea.

I might try again on a slow night or afternoon but I was just disappointed. Lets not count this place out because it has been around for a while. It's not New Orleans but at least it will satisfy the need in a pinch. PS alcohol drinks were pretty good! :)