“Nice, clean, friendly”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Maspeth
California
“Nice, clean, friendly”
Reviewed April 11, 2009

Before anyone asks where is Maspeth - it's really Queens. This hotel is brand new (opened late last year), it's very clean, has friendly staff, and warm hospitality. As with all HI Express, there's free breakfast, which is good. The only negative I can say is that it's far from a subway station. But the local bus station is about a 2 minute walk. The Q67 will take you to the Hunter's Point Subway, where you can catch the 7 train into the city (Grand Central and Times Square), where you can then transfer to anywhere else you'd like to go. In the evenings, the buses only run once an hour after 8pm, so you need to time your arrival from the city so you don't wait too long. Even though it's in a relative industrial part of town, we found that everyone we've encountered to be extremely helpful and friendly.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Ithaca, NY
Reviewed March 7, 2009

My sisters and I stayed for three nights and were very pleased. Great, friendly, helpful staff. Clean rooms, wonderful location. We will certainly return.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank glomiller
killme, Awner/GM at Holiday Inn Express Queens - Maspeth, responded to this review, March 26, 2009
Thank you for your comment passed on Trip Advisor.com - your comments are highly appriciated and we confirm the servoice to get better. We hope to see you soon again.

Thanks

Milan
new york
Reviewed January 15, 2009

I had a horrible experience at this hotel. I woke up and got ready to go to work, I was shocked to see that my car's window glass was broken and my gps was taken away. I went to the manager about my loss, Mr. Patel sail I am on my own, he was very rude. I would not recommend this hotel to any body. The neighborhoo is full of drug addicts.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank pvreddy
beverly hills, california
Reviewed December 17, 2008

The staff at the Holiday Inn Maspeth was very friendly. The rooms were immaculate, and the decor was great.

We were in town for a party in Manhattan and did not want to spend $400 on a hotel room close to the party when we'd wind up returning from the party at 3 or 4 am. For the $100 price tag, we chose to stay in Maspeth which is mapped only 6 miles away from the party location.

To get into/out of Manhattan from Maspeth costs $35. It is NY, so I knew it would be expensive. The absolute bummer is that the location of the hotel is really off the beaten path and you would not readily find it unless you had been there before or lived there. The car service from the hotel into Manhattan did a nice job, and the trip was about 15-20 minutes. Any car service or cab going to the hotel got lost. The first time it took over an hour and the second time it took 90 minutes. And there is no one to ask for directions in this empty/industrial area. Note -- there was very light traffic out each time traveling to the hotel.

There is a McDonald's and a gas station within 45 steps of the hotel's front door. I do not recommend walking there alone at night. The surrounding area is very industrial.

As I said, the staff and facilities were great. The location is the only reason I would not recommend this hotel to a friend.

• Liked — Staff and Immaculate Facilities
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
3 Thank takemetherenext
Kaneohe, HI
Reviewed November 23, 2008

I stayed at this property because the Holiday Inn Express Laguardia postponed their opening date. What a mess that was! I am still waiting for HIE Laguardia to contact me regarding their Online Rate Guarantee. HIE's Guest Relations suggested this hotel instead. They said it was fairly close to the airport (which it wasn't) and costed about the same as HIE Laguardia. We planned to stay overnight and then head on to Manhattan at another hotel.

PROS:
1) New property( couple of months old), so the hotel had a very fresh look to it.
2) Front desk staff were very friendly.
3) Free continental breakfast was included in the hotel rate
4) Hotel was fairly empty........so very quiet.
5) I did not drive, but I noticed a huge parking lot in the back of the hotel.
5) Large TV in room.

CONS:
1) The bathroom.........4 red stains in the bathtub(very weird!). Pressure was very low when another guest was using their shower. Keep in mind this hotel was empty and I was assigned this room. I would have changed rooms, but we checked in at 2am and we were tired........
.plus it was only an overnight stay.

2) Taxi driver did not know where this hotel was located. He had to call front desk for their location. It cost me $20 plus tip just to get here from Laguardia. Desk clerk said I had to use a sedan to get to Manhattan since no taxis would come to Maspeth to take me to Manhattan. It cost me $60.........what a rip off!

3) No famous cinnamon rolls for breakfast......why advertise this and then say none today w/o a good reason???? Egg omelet was rubbery (yesterday's eggs or too long under the warmer???). It was about 7:30am and the breakfast area was empty.

Would i ever stay here again? I don't think so.

• Liked — It was new!
  • Disliked — Too costly for taxi from airport to this hotel.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Windwardites
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maspeth
Comfort Inn & Suites Airport
Wyndham Garden Laguardia South
Best Western Long Island City
Best Western Long Island City
#26 of 31 in Long Island City
Fairfield Inn New York Long Island City/Manhattan View
Fairfield Inn New York Long Isla...
#16 of 31 in Long Island City
Best Western Plus La Guardia Airport Hotel Queens
Hilton Garden Inn New York Long Island City / Manhattan View
Hilton Garden Inn New York Long ...
#2 of 31 in Long Island City

Been to Holiday Inn Express Queens - Maspeth? Share your experiences!