“Secret lodge estate- Find a way to get invited”

Saint Hubert's Lodge
Reviewed January 1, 2014

I was lucky enough to be invited to stay as a guest at Saint Hubert's through an introduction to the owner, Alan Guarino, from a colleague. I was looking for a lodge-style retreat to spend a long weekend with my father and catch-up after a particularly busy year. Major checklist items in particular were: a place relatively off the beaten path where we could enjoy a challenging and attractive sporting clay course by day; hearty country food, cigars and bourbon by night.

To cut to the crux; my father and I both couldn't have walked away more impressed by the service, relaxation and overall kindness we experienced while at the lodge. Alan and his wife, Kathy, were first class hosts and to say they went above and beyond our expectations would be a huge understatement. Whether it was the private outdoor breakfast they cooked for us deep in the property at the barbeque area or the time they spent with us over cocktails in the late afternoon, they are totally committed to top-shelf friendly service and it shows.

With regard to the lodge itself; the best way I can describe it is a perfect combination of a Rocky Mountains style big game ranch and a New England luxury cabin sophisticated hearth style resort. We literally didn't have enough time over the weekend to kick back and relax in all the spots there are to enjoy on the property. We woke up intentionally early (which was tough as the beds and sleep quality were diamond...my father and I are both 6'5"+ big guys so to get good sleep anywhere but our own beds is rare) just to absorb as much of the atmosphere as we could over the couple days we were there.

I'll absolutely look to come back to the lodge at some point.

Room Tip: We stayed in the hunting lodge rooms which we found to be private and luxurious.