“This is the best B&B ever!”

Margaretville Mountain Inn
Reviewed December 10, 2008

Hi Carol & Peter
We are back home in sunny Jupiter and I just wanted to thank you again for helping to make our vacation great! I can't say enough good about how lovely your home is and how welcome we felt. We loved staying with you. NY city was also wonderful and we did alot there and had a great time. If you get to see Spamalot on Broadway you should. We laughed for 2 hours. Also there is a great deli on 51st street a couple of blocks up from Lexington across from St Patricks Cathedral called Rosen's. Their breakfast was amazing but second only to yours. Give Bear a hug for us and thanks again!
Warmly,
Danny Cay

• Stayed: November 2008
There are newer reviews for Margaretville Mountain Inn

Reviewed August 27, 2008

My boyfriend and I booked a stay at this B&B after reading the reviews here at Trip Advisor. We were not disappointed!

The Inn itself is very nice, with an Old World charm and beautiful antiques around every corner. The owners, Carol and Peter, were very nice and helped us plan activites throughout our stay.

We had the Emerald Room, which was very pretty and spacious. The private bathroom was down the hall, but we didn't mind having to take the trip. Everything was VERY clean and well-maintained.

We found the town of Margaretville to be a bit overpriced, especially the restaurants. Coming from NYC we were expecting to pay less at restaurants, but we actually probably paid the same if not more! However, the Inn was VERY well priced and worth every penny.

The best meals we had were the breakfasts' at the Inn! The dining room is very pretty, and again filled with very nice antiques. Everybody staying at the Inn was very nice, and we enjoyed the morning conversation. From eggs and toast to pancakes and muffins, the food and coffee was absolutely delicious! (I kept raving about the toast! I swear I think it was the best toast I've ever eaten!)

An adorable addition to the Inn is Bear, their Great Pyrenees dog. He is soooooo cute, we wanted to take him home! He was a great Inn mascot!

Overall, anybody traveling to Margaretville should definitely stay at the Margaretville Inn.

ALSO: If you're into doing some outdoor activites while you're in town, book them through Catskills Outback Adventures. They were very nice and knowledgable of the area. One things to note: If you're into biking trails there really aren't any in close proximity. Instead of renting bikes and biking along the winding highways (which I think are dangerous!), you should rent a canoe and go to Big Pond. The Pond is the perfect size to canoe around, and in the warm summer months you can go swimming in the fresh water. It was a highlight of the trip!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 7, 2008

We were looking for a place to stay in the Margaretville area and found the Margaretville Motel we called to make reservation but were told that the motel was booked for that date but they had a room in their BB. We had never stayed in a BB before so we were a little reluctant. We arrived at the BB and was greeted by a great big white dog named Bear. He is truely a gentle giant and after your first meeting he bearly notices that you exist.
After our offical greeting we met Carol the hostess/owner she checked us in and gave us the tour of the property. We had rented the suite which was 2 rooms and a bath. It had 1daybed, 1 queen size bed and a full size bed along with dressers, bedtables and a wicker chair. Each bed was made up with gorgous bedding and plenty of extra "Fluffy" pillows. It made you feel like lounging around the room with a good book and just relaxing. All the room also have private bathrooms which are clean and spacious. The bath towels are extra big and fluffy nothing like you usually get when staying away from home.
Later in the day we took a walk and found the hot tub in the milk house attached to the barn. It was a really comfy feeling room with lots of privacy and very clean. They also provide towels for the hot tub. After our walk we decide to sit on the porch overlooking the mountains. The bushes could use a trimming for a better view of the mountains, but that would also cut down on the privacy of the porch from the road.
The following morning we went for our offical first BB breakfast. Never doing this before we were not sure exactly what to expect. When we entered the room the table was set with beautiful china and a linen tablecloth. We were feeling a little uncomfortable since we are not accustomed to this. We were not sure if we needed to let somebody know we were there or how it worked. Then Peter (host/owner) walked out of the kitchen and greeted us with his name our choices for breakfast. We could have waffles or eggs any style with bacon and toast. It was a hard choice but we went with eggs, toast and bacon--- It was delicious!!! Along with what was served there was also orange juice, coffee, tea, corn bread, fruit and cereal out on the table. If you left hungry it was your own fault! If you had wanted to you could have had your breakfast on the porch. They were very accommodating.
After finishing breakfast we sat and talked with Peter. You could not ask for a nicer person. We talked about a little bit of everything and learned a lot about the area. He made us feel right at home, like we had been coming there for years.
We would definitely visit the Margaretrville Inn Bed and Breakfast again and would reccommend it to our friends. It was an excellent choice for our first bed and breakfast experience.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 4, 2008

This is our second stay at this place and we can't get enough. The friendly environment, the wonderful views and the delicious breakfast. Their dog Bear is there to greet you at the door and he is so friendly. They have a huge yard with a trampoline and a swingset for the kids and a hot tub for the adults. The location is quiet but its just close enough to the town of Margaretville. The prices are very reasonable and you get everything you would expect (and more) for the price. The owner/ cook, Carol comes down each morning to greet and serve you her wonderful homecooked breakfast and when you arrive, Peter is there to check you in. Any needs you have, they try their hardest to accomodate you. We strongly reccomend this place to anyone with kids or even if you are looking for a quiet weekend getaway. Can't wait to come back next year!!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed July 4, 2008

Carol and Peter have created a home away from home at the Margaretville Mtn Inn. We have stayed with them several times, in both summer and winter, and wouldn't consider staying anywhere else. They have become like family and we look forward to our annual trip to see them. They truly make their guests feel at home. Carol's breakfasts are to die for and the house always has wonderful smells coming from the kitchen. The mountain views from the front porch are absolutely incredible. The village down below is cute and full of neat little shops. We always feel a little sad each time we leave but what cheers us up is knowing we will be back again soon. The Margaretville Mtn Inn is definitely the best B&B in the Catskills!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 22, 2008

Beware when calling the Margaretville Inn to make a reservation. If they step away from their phone, they transfer the calls to the Margaretville Motel. I called to make a reservation at the Inn, and when the person picked up the phone, all they said was Margaretville Lodging. So I assumed the I was talking to the inn. I made a reservation, and recieved and email confirmation saying my reservation was at the Motel. I didnt even know that the Motel existed, so I called to cancel the reservation.

After about a week I still hadn't received my refund, so I called the number I had to check on the refund. This time, someone at the Inn answered the phone, and instead of telling me I should call the Motel, she decided to berate me for not checking that I was calling the Inn when I made the reservation. She was extremely rude, and felt it necessary to give me a lesson on how to make reservations in the future.

I'm not sure why they think that people will know that there is a Motel and an Inn when most people calling are not familiar with the area and wouldn't know of all the possible accommodations. Or that people would know that when they call the Inn that they could be transfered to the Motel, who doesnt answer the phone as Margaretville Motel, but as Margaretville Lodging.

So just as a caution to everyone, the people at Margaretville Inn are rude, and don't have great customer service. The people at the Motel were however, very nice. I haven't received my refund yet, but when I called them, they were extremely nice and told me that it was still being processed.

Stayed: January 2008
4  Thank sparklytree
Reviewed September 26, 2007

We came upon the Inn accidently whilst on a road trip around the Adirondacks and Catskills. By far the most beautiful place we stayed. A wonderful experience of old America. The owners are lovely welcoming people and the breakfast was superb.

We will be going back

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Margaretville
Hotel Vienna
#2 of 2 in Margaretville
Margaretville Suites on Main
Margaretville Suites on Main
#1 of 1 in Margaretville

Been to Margaretville Mountain Inn? Share your experiences!