“Beautiful Inn, Friendly Hosts” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Margaretville Mountain Inn

and 1 more site!
Margaretville Mountain Inn
Orange County NY
“Beautiful Inn, Friendly Hosts”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

We had a recent ski trip to Belleayre and spent two nights at the Margaretville Mountain Inn. It was just myself and my two children ages 7 and 10. We had a beautiful room and the kids were in love with both the friendly dog "Bear" and the most delicious breakfasts. They could not stop talking about the french toast and the maple syrup that was fresh from the trees. We had a private bath that was very clean. We didn't use the hot tub located out by the barn, but instead went to the nearby Hanah country club and purchased very reasonable day passes to the pool. Overall it was a wonderful stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank nekothecat
cauliflower_queen, Owner at Margaretville Mountain Inn, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Hi glad you enjoyed your stay with your family. The French Toast and Bear will be awaiting your next visit, thanks.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
New Haven, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

My partner surprised me with a weekend getaway to Margaretville, and I couldnt have asked for a better surprise. The house was beautiful and very homey. The Inn Keepers were very accomodating and sweet, and gave us a tour of the house, which included two parlor areas with game boards, books and even a fire place. We were even greeted by their big,sweet dog Bear! Our room was quaint but very comfortable, and the bathroom was very nice as well. Because it was so cold outside, they had the house heat turned up, and it can get a little too warm, but our room had a radiator that we could turn down to adjust it. The breakfast was delicious! I highly recommend their French Toast. We ended up going to the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, just over an hour away, and then back into town for dinner at Peekamoose, in Big Indian, not far from Margaretsville. I also Highly recommend eating there if you're in town. The views from Sunrise to Sunset are magnificent and we will definitely be coming back for more relaxation! (PS they have a jacuzzi in the back, but we didnt get a chance to use it. Looking forward to trying it out next time )

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dginicola
cauliflower_queen, Owner at Margaretville Mountain Inn, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thank you for such a nice review of us and the area, I'm glad your getaway worked out well. See you folks soon.
South Fallsburg, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

enjoyed the inn very much . The hosts where great. They went above and beyond to make your stay comfortable. The breakfast was fantastic, I highly recommend it . Dont forget to bring the kids . Close to all ski centers. . ask for the french toast the best I have ever had
Bring your snowmobile close to 36 mile trail system . A nice weekend getaway. The rooms where clean and cozy . The kids stayed in connecting rooms to ours with a shared bath. If was warm and cozy

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
cauliflower_queen, Owner at Margaretville Mountain Inn, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Hi guys, thanks, got some new snow, come on back, the French toast and maple syrup are waiting for you! Cheers, Peter and Carol.
Centurion, Gauteng, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

We reached the inn at 4 pm in the afternoon to be greeted by the resident watchdog who promptly led us to the front door which had a prominent sign informing us where our room was. We were the first guests to arrive and it was somewhat creepy entering the house with nobody there. Nevertheless we did manage to find our room and turned in for an early night as a snow flurry had descended upon the inn with vengeance. Our room was a little cramped for style but it was cozy and warm with the hot water radiator doing it's job. The next morning we were woken by a loud scraping sound from outside and being from Africa this was totally foreign to us to discover that the noise was from a snowplow scraping the road. When we went for breakfast we were pleasantly surprised to see the setting in the breakfast room and true to our expectations the breakfasts were great, with enough tasty dishes to satisfy most palates.
This Inn was a good choice and most certainly we will stay there again in the future should we be in the area ( and of course the snow was just great)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

I arrived at 9:30 on Tuesday night (they had asked when I would arrive, and I had told them between 9 and 10). I walk up to the door and knock and ring the doorbell numerous times, no one comes to the door. So I decide to call them on my cell- turns out to be no service. A sign says if no one answers to drive down to the other motel they own- so I drive down there and the office is closed and no one is there. So I drove to the local pub and ask to use their phone, luckily they have no problem with it, but unfortunately either the B&Bs phone is disconnected or they have dial-up internet... Once again I drove up the hill to the B&B and after another 10-15 minutes of knocking he finally comes to the door and says they had no idea the doorbell was broken... So after an hour or more of this pain in the buns, he asks for me to pay and I oblige with cash. He shows me to my room, and I begin to unpack some stuff and finally get to wind down from a 4 hour drive and an hour of nonsense, with little or no apology. About ten minutes later he comes back up to my room and tells me that he miscalculated what I owe, and that he needs two more dollars. Really?! Two dollars after the whole hassle, what nerve...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Owen C
cauliflower_queen, Owner at Margaretville Mountain Inn, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear readers: We would like to clear up a few points in this misguided review. We did apologize profusely for the doorbell not working (it was fixed the very next day). The house is big and we did not hear the knock on the door even though the front entrance was open and he could walk right in. He accepted our apology and said it was no problem, he was glad he got a great room at a great price through a special we were running ,$47.50 a weekday night double ocuupancy, full breakfast, free WIFI and free use of the hot tub .Yes we made an error on the bill and yes at this price point $2.00 makes a difference. The ironic part of this all is that the guest remarked that he enjoyed his two night stay and wanted to come back again, that is why this review is such a shock and definetly not deserving of the quality of service and amenities we provide.
Dover, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

We actually were in May of 2011, so my memory is a bit sketchy. I do remember that we were very lucky to get the last room here because we cancelled our original reservations with a place that misrepresented themselves very badly. This apparently was the only room that did not have a connected bathroom but were were just very happy to have found this place and that they had a room available, plus I believe every other room has their own connected bathroom. Very old, very lovely well-kept building. Nice family, nice pets (HUGE gentle Great Pyrenees dog and a cute guinea pig), excellent food and pleasant conversations with the other guests. Some of our best moments were spent lounging on the large porch gazing at the hillside. It's only a couple miles from the center of Margaretsville, and I believe may be the nicest place to stay in that immediate vicinity.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Monongahela, Pa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

My wife and I stayed here to attend a wedding in nearby Roxbury. Peter and Carol were great hosts--accomodating and helpful. A plus for me was they did not "intrude" by asking questions, forever asking if you need anything, etc. In fact, they were virtually invisible( although they live in the house-a beautiful and well furnished victorian by the way--and spotless ! )
I had read some reviews before making the reservation and most people raved about Carol's breakfasts--they were right ! ( I embarrassed myself by asking for eggs benedict thinking it was a specialty-it was not but Carol delivered anyway--and they were great)
I highly recommend for a visit to the Catskills..and give their big old dog named Bear a friendly pat--a great and kindly guy !

Room Tip: A couple of rooms have private baths and a couple do not. Read the room descriptions to decide--the...