“Centric and clean”

Tyvabro
Mahébourg
“Centric and clean”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

The place is clean and centric. It has AC and internet. It's clearly not a luxury place, but it has all one may need, plus a nice terrace where you can have breakfast. The landlords are nice. The bed is not that comfortable.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Amedeo P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I booked my reservation and transfer via e-mail only a few days before I left The States for Mauritius. When I arrived I was met by Mr. Hassen at the airport. On the way to the Tyvabro he was kind enough to point out the major landmarks so I could find my way back to the guest house after wandering around sleepy, but safe, Mahébourg on my own and recommended several reasonable dining options in town.

The rooms were spotless. I dropped something on the floor and bent down to pick it up and saw not a speck of dust on the floor, even along the baseboards. The room had a perfectly clean ensuite bathroom and shower, too. Each room has a sink, air conditioner, ceiling fan, satellite TV, DVD player, refrigerator, and even an safe for your valuables. There’s coffee and tea available 24/7 out in the common room, along with books and DVDs you can watch in your room. Hassen’s family does a good job making you feel at home and answering your questions in English or French. On top of all that, Tyvabro has a secured Wi-Fi , so you can access the web and your e-mail right from your cell phone in the comfort of your own room.

The breakfasts are huge. Starting at 8:00am, French bread, butter, cheese, pineapple, hardboiled egg, crêpes, fruit juice, and coffee or tea are served on the roof-top terrace overlooking Lion Mountain (480m) with the other guests, mostly friendly French tourists some of whom were stay for about a month at Tyvabro.

They have several bikes you can rent. Grant it, they aren’t road bikes, just average mountain bikes, but they do the job. My second day there I rented one to bike up the eastern coast about 60 miles (100 kms) and my last day I rented a different one to bike out to Blue Bay (30 mins) and Pointe d’Esny and back at sun up (5:30am). The roads along the coast have little traffic and none of the towns are too far apart, so you always count on coming upon a shop selling food and drink every couple of miles. The roads and roundabouts are clearly marked, so a map from Lonely Planet is good enough to get around.

Hassen offered to guide me on a tour of the southern ¼ of the island. At first I was hesitant, but when I converted the price in rupees into dollars and asked him to show me on a map where he’d be taking me and how long it would last, it seemed like a pretty fair deal. He took me to see the pyramids of Mauritius, the Bois Chéri Tea Plantation, Grand Bassin where he explained about the Hindu religion and gods, The Coloured Earths and Chameral Waterfall, The Black River Gorges National Park, La Gaulette for a Mauritian lunch, , Le Morne and along the Southern Coast to the cliffs of Gris Gris where the island meets the open ocean and up to a small town to catch a local express bus to Port Louis instead of taking me all the way back to the bus terminal in Mahebourg (5 mins walking from Tyvabro straight down the same road) which probably saved me over an hour and a half.

I would definitely recommend Tyvabro and Mr. Hassen to anyone looking for very reasonable accommodations in Mahébourg.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Steve L
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed September 20, 2012

The breakfast is great on the roofterrace with great viewings served by à very friendly lady. In the room is everything you need and it's clean. We watched several movies since there is not much to do in Mahebourg in the evening. When we were there it was quiet and we met nice fellow travelers. You can rent à bike and go the beach at pointe d'esny, really Nice. And you have to go to the biscuits factory!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed May 2, 2012

If you like the sound of barking dogs and screeching kids, this is the place for you. Rooms are basic, but OK, and the guest house is central enough. However, my trip was ruined by the relentless noise (and, yes, that was with earplugs!). If you are a nice person thinking of a cheap way to stay in paradise, this is not the way to go. I hate to think of people shelling out lots of money on a flight, to have their holiday ruined by staying here. Between you and me, I think the positive reviews about this place are . . . how shall I put it? . . . a bit fishy, and a bit samey? Avoid.

Room Tip: If you have to stay in Mahebourg there are other options. Mahebourg is nice enough. There is a good...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Pune, India
Reviewed February 26, 2012

This is not a typical Hotel and is run by a Family who operate from ground Floor. We had a Car which we had to park outside as their was no valet/shade parking,
Rooms are neat but lack professional look and feel.
Staff is extremely helpful and forthcoming. We were a couple and we wanted to check out a nice Indian restaurant on the first night. The owner drove through the place till we hit a nice Hotel 'Namaste Kathmandu'.
I guess Staff is what makes this hotel morw than the Structure.

Room Tip: Take second Floor as it will be quiet and closer to terrace.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Amit S
Perth, Australia
Reviewed July 20, 2011

We stayed at Tyvabro for two nights (three days) on our way to England from Australia in May, and for one night (two days) on our way back in July.
Our experience scored top marks on every criterion.
The location, close to the airport and in the interesting little town of Mahebourg was convenient; the price was very reasonable; the room was comfortable, clean and well furnished; the breakfast was good; internet was available for visitor use at the front desk, and above all the family, particularly the brothers Nadeem and Nissan, were friendly and helpful. Each time, since we were taking late evening flights out, they kindly allowed us to use our rooms until 6 pm.
Tyvabro provided convenient transport to and from the airport. The bus terminal for transport around the island is 5 minutes walk away.
We thoroughly recommend Tyvabro to any traveller looking for a comfortable stay and a very pleasant ambience.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Canada
Reviewed February 15, 2011

Never before have I enjoyed a guesthouse so much. I initially only planned to stay 2 nights but ended up staying 7 days. Even then, I had a difficult time tearing myself away from this home away from home.

From my initial arrival and the warm reception from staff, I knew this place was going to be different in a good way. I arrived early and my room wasn't ready so they invited me to enjoy breakfast on the rooftop patio and then perhaps have a snooze in a hammock that overlooks the city and Lion Mountain. I did, and I slept like a baby.

When I entered my room, I was not disappointed. It was modest but spotlessly clean and roomy. In the common area were book and DVD libraries, a microwave, filtered water and a kettle including free coffee. The WiFi in my room was flawless.

But the best thng about Tyvabro are the people. Every conversation was with a smile (even with my broken French). They patiently helped me get to where I wanted to go and they were never in a rush for payment.

I will not hesitate to retur

As a note, Mahebourg is one of the most traditional Mauritian villages in the country. Everywhere else I went seemed to have an abundance of tourists. In Maherbourg, life is a bit slower and there is not a lot of nightlife save for the restaurants and a few pubs. But if you want a place where strangers still say "Boujour" to each other in the streets, and smile or stop for a chat, Mahebourg is the place for you in Mauritius.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank 04274108
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mahebourg
Holiday Inn Mauritius Mon Tresor
ONS Motel & Guest House Mauritius
Auberge Le Saladier
Auberge Le Saladier
#4 of 19 in Mahebourg

Been to Tyvabro? Share your experiences!