“Love noise? This is the place for you!”
Review of Tyvabro

Tyvabro
Reviewed May 2, 2012

If you like the sound of barking dogs and screeching kids, this is the place for you. Rooms are basic, but OK, and the guest house is central enough. However, my trip was ruined by the relentless noise (and, yes, that was with earplugs!). If you are a nice person thinking of a cheap way to stay in paradise, this is not the way to go. I hate to think of people shelling out lots of money on a flight, to have their holiday ruined by staying here. Between you and me, I think the positive reviews about this place are . . . how shall I put it? . . . a bit fishy, and a bit samey? Avoid.

Room Tip: If you have to stay in Mahebourg there are other options. Mahebourg is nice enough. There is a good...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed February 26, 2012

This is not a typical Hotel and is run by a Family who operate from ground Floor. We had a Car which we had to park outside as their was no valet/shade parking,
Rooms are neat but lack professional look and feel.
Staff is extremely helpful and forthcoming. We were a couple and we wanted to check out a nice Indian restaurant on the first night. The owner drove through the place till we hit a nice Hotel 'Namaste Kathmandu'.
I guess Staff is what makes this hotel morw than the Structure.

Room Tip: Take second Floor as it will be quiet and closer to terrace.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Amit S
Reviewed July 20, 2011

We stayed at Tyvabro for two nights (three days) on our way to England from Australia in May, and for one night (two days) on our way back in July.
Our experience scored top marks on every criterion.
The location, close to the airport and in the interesting little town of Mahebourg was convenient; the price was very reasonable; the room was comfortable, clean and well furnished; the breakfast was good; internet was available for visitor use at the front desk, and above all the family, particularly the brothers Nadeem and Nissan, were friendly and helpful. Each time, since we were taking late evening flights out, they kindly allowed us to use our rooms until 6 pm.
Tyvabro provided convenient transport to and from the airport. The bus terminal for transport around the island is 5 minutes walk away.
We thoroughly recommend Tyvabro to any traveller looking for a comfortable stay and a very pleasant ambience.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 15, 2011

Never before have I enjoyed a guesthouse so much. I initially only planned to stay 2 nights but ended up staying 7 days. Even then, I had a difficult time tearing myself away from this home away from home.

From my initial arrival and the warm reception from staff, I knew this place was going to be different in a good way. I arrived early and my room wasn't ready so they invited me to enjoy breakfast on the rooftop patio and then perhaps have a snooze in a hammock that overlooks the city and Lion Mountain. I did, and I slept like a baby.

When I entered my room, I was not disappointed. It was modest but spotlessly clean and roomy. In the common area were book and DVD libraries, a microwave, filtered water and a kettle including free coffee. The WiFi in my room was flawless.

But the best thng about Tyvabro are the people. Every conversation was with a smile (even with my broken French). They patiently helped me get to where I wanted to go and they were never in a rush for payment.

I will not hesitate to retur

As a note, Mahebourg is one of the most traditional Mauritian villages in the country. Everywhere else I went seemed to have an abundance of tourists. In Maherbourg, life is a bit slower and there is not a lot of nightlife save for the restaurants and a few pubs. But if you want a place where strangers still say "Boujour" to each other in the streets, and smile or stop for a chat, Mahebourg is the place for you in Mauritius.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank 04274108
Reviewed February 12, 2011

Perfect for budget travellers. We stayed a week & felt at home immediately. The rooms have everything you could need; the copious breakfasts (on the roof terrace, with wonderful views), use of kitchen, free tea & coffee, internet access, very helpful & friendly family (who also provide taxi).
Five minutes from bus station, market, shops, restaurants, sea front.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2010

We happened on Tyvabro while looking around for a place to move to after being dissatisfied with conditions at another establishment. Hassen gave us a warm welcome and made us feel at home. Breakfast in the morning was excellent, with the view and the wonderful plants in his roof top garden, it is the ideal way to start the day. The fact that the place is wonderfully clean close to a number of shops and eating establishment as well as the bus station is also a plus. The large Monday market is in easy walking distance and if you need it Hassen as well as his son Nadeem are excellent tour guides, taxi drivers and historians all rolled into one. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 14, 2010

For only 25 euro we had a nice room with breakfast for two people. The owner and his family are full service people. You can make trips to several places with Hassan or his son for also a good price.

The room has also a dvd player and there are several good movies to watch.

There is also WiFi!!

The hotel is only 10 minutes by bus to Blue Bay. We've seen the whole island but Blue Bay was the best for snorkling...

Mahebourgh is a nice town with good restaurants!!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mahebourg
Preskil Beach Resort
#2 of 19 in Mahebourg
Auberge Le Saladier
Auberge Le Saladier
#4 of 19 in Mahebourg

Been to Tyvabro? Share your experiences!