“The Best Honeymoon EVER!!!!!!!!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Preskil Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Mahebourg
South Africa
“The Best Honeymoon EVER!!!!!!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2010

6 nights, 7 days - fully inclusive honeymoon package! Best choice ever! This was the most fantastic resort I ever visited. Service, food, drinks, rooms, people, entertainment, spa, excursions etc was out of this world! There is NOTHING we could complain about. Definitely consider FULLY INCLUSIVE, can get expensive on B&B or Half Board. Make sure you do the full day CAT CRUISE - Excellant! Thanks for making our special holiday even more SPECIAL!!!!!!

2 Thank NicolaPretorius

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (416)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
glasgow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2010

Stayed at Preskil Beach in November for 7nights. Booked a lagoon room (258) and had a spectacular full seaview. I cannot fault the hotel in anyway. The food was superb ( go AI) the choice unbelievable. 3 Restaurants to choose from, including Charka, the only steakhouse in Mauritius. I have to concur with other travellers and say that was the best steak I have ever eaten! And thats coming from a Scot bred on Aberdeen Angus!

The staff are a delight! Nothing is too much trouble. Always pleasant and somehow managed to remember our names, and the hotel was full! Evening entertainment varies every night. From Ballroom to disco and goes on till 12midnight.

We went on the Catamaran trip (£45). Its a full day trip with lunch and drinks to Ile Aux Cerfs. Island off Belle Mare area. Worth every penny. Managed to participate in all water sports offered, snorkelling, windsurfing and water skiing! I had never tried any of these before, great to experience them.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone. I went with my mum, there were alot of couples (Old and young) as it was very romantic - taking my boyfriend in March, a few families with younger children, - exc kids club. We also met single female and male travellers. The staff look after them extremely well. Even sitting with them for a coffee and chat. This was very reassuring for them.

Iam only back 4 days and I am counting the days until I return.

I booked through If Only.... Holidays based in Glasgow. From booking to my return my holiday was seamless. They also organised private car transfers from the airport and back again. Better than getting a coach with numerous stops!

If your want a holiday in Paradise, book Mauritius and book Preskil Beach!

2 Thank srodrick1
Greater London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2010

Severely unimpressed with the service in this place. Notable exceptions (room service, George, Restaurant Manager, Lindsay, Linda and Kaviraj) aside, service is slow, grudging and lacks charm. The staff at this hotel know that European flights are overnight and land at 6am. Exactly how hard is it to have rooms ready for tired travellers? I have never had this problem elsewhere in the world and find it hard to comprehend why they had to 'get the room ready' when the resort was one third full. On exit; the staff were reluctant to give us change in euros; we had to argue our way into this. On the catamaran we were subject to racist behaviour and second class service from other black and Asian people (hotel staff).

We were also unimpressed by our Kuoni rep. She offered us exhorbitant excursions, ticked us off for not doing her Hindu temple tour (we have enough of our own in London) and failed to tell us about the early departure breakfast put on by the hotel.

Staff annoyance aside; the facilities are decent. We were on the all-inclusive package booked by Kuoni. The excursions offered by the hotel are reasonable in price; I recommend the catamaran trip to Ils aux Cerfs. A taxi trip to Blue Baie (using packed lunches and drinks from the hotel) is also worth doing; a return is 200 rupees.

The drinks are wonderful and the food competent. Whilst the main buffet is nothing to write home about (replete with Afro-Asian mockups of desserts we don't have in 21st century Europe), the Charka Steak House is amazing. Best steak (South African) that I've eaten in my life. The spa is functional but not luxurious. I feel the resort could improve this on this as Mauritius is seen as a dream destination. Treatments were enjoyable and most importantly, discounted as visitors can barter at the spa during low season.

If it weren't for the charm and entertainment provided by the world cup and other travellers; this holiday could've been a disappointment. African hotels are generally less equipped than counterparts on other continents. I feel cheated as I booked a four star, expecting a four star experience. This place was let down by the salon looking like a Siamese knocking shop and staff who couldn't care less for our comfort. Save your pennies and go to Shandrani. At least you'll get a four star there.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank EndodocLondon
Port Louis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2010

My husband and I recently celebrated our 5th anniversary and wanted to do something special. I was looking forward to celebrate at the Preskil. The service was impeccable: from the bellman who held my bags while I checked in to the girl at the tuck shop who helped me pick out gifts for my children on my way out. The room was, in a word opulant. We had a King suite which was immaculate and luxurious. We had one of the most memorable dinners I've ever had at Charka. The hotel is super and clean. The staff was very helpful and went above my experience with other hotels.
The beds are really comfy.
I tried the charka and the tapas restaurants in the hotel and they were perfect.
As to the location - it was convenient, but I really didn't explore the area because everything I needed was in the hotel!

I can't wait until my birthday so I can have an excuse to stay at the Preskil again!

2 Thank jamesjjulie
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2010

My wife and I started our honeymoon in Mauritius with a 6 night stay at Preskil before moving on to the North of the island. As South Africans, we are unaccustomed to good service and we were blown away by the exceptional service of each and every staff member we met at this hotel. Everyone greets you sincerely when walking by at all hours of the day and night and not once did we feel that any request was too much trouble. Problems are dealt with quickly and without fuss. We were sad to leave and no other hotel we stayed at came close to comparing to the service received at Preskil.

Tip #1: Take full board,
Tip #2: Book your meals at Tapas and Charka as soon as you arrive as they get booked up quickly and their food is better than at the buffet,
Tip #3: Book your trips to any islands you want to go to early as they also fill up,
Tip #4: Negotiate with taxi drivers in Mahebourg for best rates for day trips,
Tip #5: Don't be shy or intimidated when approaching staff for assistance, they are genuinly helpful and friendly people.

We found Preskil the ideal base to discover the south of Mauritius, there is Mahebourg itself close by which is quite interesting to check out, again with the friendliest people in Mauritius, and one can negotiate good rates with taxis to do day trips to all the sights the south has to offer. Busses are cheaper alternatives to taxis and they stop right outside the hotel. The hotel offers a catamaran trip to Ile de Serfs which is great and well worth the cost (although the island is a bit crowded). Barring nightlife, the south has so much more to offer that the north of Mauritius.

Full board is a must as drinks are expensive in Mauritius and the mini bar being included in full board is great (many other hotels don't include the mini bar). Food at Tapas (beach bar) and Charka (steakhouse) was supurb. As a red meat eating Saffa, I can honestly say that I had one of the best steaks I have ever had (also included in the full board) at Charka.

The bar is casual and welcoming. The beach activities guys are helpful and were very patient in teaching me to sail. Diving is cheaper than in the north (actually everything except scooter and bicycle hire is cheaper in the south) and the dives are better in the south west and south east than in the north.

The hotel is not as big as similar rated hotels and therefore may be too small for people who want the hotel to entertain them all day every day over a few weeks, but we found it very welcoming. It is architecturally beautiful and designed well, with a big bar between two lovely pools. The beach is beautiful and private and has a world class view of the bay and mountains. The gardens between the rooms are lovely to walk through. We were warned of the strong winds but had far worse wind near Grand Baie.

Rooms are small but neat and clean. We had a lovely sea view (in our lagoon facing room). The room didn't have a bath, possibly the only criticism I have. We don't view holidays as a time to spend in our room so the size of the room wasn't really of any concern to us.

This is a hotel big enough to offer all the facilities required and yet small enough so that service doesn't suffer. We met many great people, which didn't happen in the larger hotels we stayed at after Preskil. But the overiding impression we were left with is that this is a hotel staffed by some of the nicest people you are every likely to meet. My wife and I will definately return to Le Preskil.

3 Thank Aden13
Bedford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2010

Stayed here recently for 2 weeks, nice hotel staff very friendly but the evening buffet was a bit chaotic. Plenty of food but sometimes it was difficult to put a whole meal on the plate, often had no potatoes or only one vegetable, sometimes food was cold (mashed potatoes). There was always fish which was sometimes very dry, curry was good and also fresh pizza, and pasta. The steak house was excellent but you had to pay extra to go there, you could get light meals at the bar at lunchtime but this was also expensive - £30 for 2 burgers, 2 beers and ice cream. We have stayed in Mauritius before and have always said that on our last visit we had the best food we have ever had in a buffet (La Pirogue). The entertainment was also good, very good house band, but the stage is in a very strange place - just off the main restaurant and you can only see this from a few seats in the restaurant and not at all well from the bar. It sometimes seemed that the band were just playing as background music. All this aside we had a very nice peaceful break but don't think we would go back again.

2 Thank Sallyv67
Maidstone, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2010

Absolutely loved it.
Very hard to fault and be critical about.
A place not to go to if you have a fear of birds as there are plenty of them. The main restaurant is open so birds are seen flying around and trying to get tit bits from plates.
Food excellent. Accommodation excellent.
We had an anti cyclone for almost the entire time we were there so it was windy and wet at times - but not cold.
Staff are definately first class! So helpful and polite.
Same can't be said for Air Atrocius ... I mean Air Mauritius - and if you are a vegetarian I would strongly advise you take your own food for the flights. They shrugged their shoulders and looked at me in disgust when I said I was a veggie - and they didn't have one morsal of food to give me! Flights were therefore not our favourite part of the trip!
A trip to the southern part of the island is a must. Great for snorkelling too.
Excursions and souveneirs are expensive. Mauritians like to haggle. They over price their wares. Barter with them and then walk away. If they really want to sell it they will come running after you with a price that matches what you want to pay or a better offer. Certainly don't pay what they ask for in the markets etc!
We thoroughly enjoyed our honeymoon and intend to revisit in ten years as our tenth - second honeymoon!

1 Thank Sayer187056
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mahebourg
Shandrani Beachcomber Resort & Spa
Le Meridien Ile Maurice
Le Meridien Ile Maurice
#5 of 8 in Pointe Aux Piments
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,853 reviews

Been to Preskil Beach Resort? Share your experiences!