“Perfect Honeymoon”

Preskil Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Mahebourg
Reviewed July 8, 2010

We have recently returned from a wonderful Honeymoon at Le Preskil from 7th to 21st June 2010. We arrived early in the morning after a long flight and were given a very friendly welcome, a cocktail and a cold flannel. We hadn’t expected our room to be ready until the afternoon so were pleasantly surprised when we were told that it should be ready by about 11. We were able to go and have breakfast straight away, our luggage was looked after by the porters until the room was ready and there were changing rooms available to freshen up.

The hotel itself is very impressive and well designed. The buildings are beautiful and the communal rooms huge and airy. They have thought of everything! We had room 176 which is a lagoon honeymoon room. It was situated close to the beach and Tapas restaurant with lovely views, far enough from the bar to be quiet but only a short walk for drinks and meals. Inside, the room was a good size with a very big and very comfortable bed. It was cleaned immaculately every day and the bed was turned down every evening while we were at dinner.

The staff were friendly and welcoming and nothing was too much trouble. The level of service was always excellent, especially from the staff in Charka and Tapas and from Lindsay in the bar.

The beach is spacious and clean. The sand is quite coarse and corally but at least this means it doesn’t blow around in the wind. There were always plenty of sunbeds available although I imagine it would be busier in peak season. Each parasol had a flag you could raise for bar service, however we found this worked much better if you were close to the bar. The beach boys rarely venture to the far end of the beach so we chose to take drinks from our minibar (most are included in the all inclusive package) with us instead as we preferred the quiet end of the beach. The sea in the lagoon is very shallow for quite a long way, however when it is windy there are quite strong currents to watch out for. It was quite weedy underfoot which we found a little unpleasant. Also watch out for the sea urchins – we took rubber shoes with us. The glass bottom boat trips organised by the hotel are definitely worth doing. There was a free one which went out in the lagoon and another to Blue Bay which at 10 Euros we found to be very good value and the snorkelling was excellent.

We went on an all inclusive basis and were very glad we did as the drinks in the hotel were very expensive. We found the all inclusive option to be very good value, especially as we were able to eat in the Charka and Tapas restaurants in the evening for no extra charge. Not all drinks are included but we found there was a very good selection which are clearly indicated and the bar staff were happy to mix different cocktails for us from the all inclusive spirits. If you see Lindsay in the bar ask him to mix you his special blue cocktail – it is amazing! The buffet restaurant had a good selection of food and it was all good quality, however we much preferred to eat in the other restaurants. Charka is an amazing steakhouse serving South African steaks. The fillet was the best steak I have ever tasted! They also have a selection of other meals on their a la carte menu and everything on the menu is included in the all inclusive package. Tapas (which does not serve tapas!) specialises in seafood but there are always other options on the menu. They have a table d’hote menu with a few choices for each course and this changes every day. This menu is included in the all inclusive package but you can chose to eat from their a la carte menu (mainly lobster and king prawns) for a supplement. You can also eat in Tapas at lunch time but there is an additional charge for this.

My only criticism of the hotel is with the spa. We had a duo massage as part of our honeymoon package and I found it quite vigorous and painful. I did feel more relaxed after it but I had bruises on my back the next day which put me off using the spa again.

All in all it was a fantastic honeymoon and we would thoroughly recommend Le Preskil to anyone.

5  Thank martynandemma
Write a ReviewReviews (2,618)

Reviewed June 28, 2010

Preskil Beach Resort,
Pointe Jerome,
Mahebourg,
Mauritius

Having been home now for one week thought it was time to put pen to paper, sorry fingers to the keyboard.

What a wonderful wedding and honeymoon we experienced on the island of Mauritius on 8th June 2010. We would like to convey our best wishes and appreciation for the exemplary service we experienced during our recent stay at Le` Preskil Beach Resort.

A big thank you to allther management team and staff, every person we were involved with were very friendly, courteous and knowledgeable, especially our wedding co-ordinators, many thanks for their assistance and advice during our stay and for going the extra mile to make us relaxed and comfortable. They provided services above and beyond, attending as wedding witnesses, arranging visits, taxis etc and allowing us to download and choose our wedding photos in time for our wedding party presentation on the day after we arrived home.

Congratulations to the Food Beverage, and Management Team for ensuring excellent entertainment, a good choice of menus in all your outlets and a tasty food choice. An efficient and professional service was always available; nothing was too much trouble, and all staff were very attentive and receptive to our needs, almost as if we were the only people in the hotel.
It was great to know that the staff were communicated with for our special needs and whichever member of staff served us knew of those needs, especially when I suffered an abscess behind a tooth, soft food choices were made available during the rest of our stay. This situation was dealt with efficiently and an appointment arranged with a dentist in Curepipe.

As we are both in the service industry understand how important it is to have staff trained to a high standard and the staff certainly are, whether or not they were caterers, cleaners, gardeners, beach boys or porters. It was also great to receive folded towel animals in our room and was much appreciated.

We will always be talking about our stay and the experience and history of Mauritius and will certainly return one day possibly for our anniversary.

Thank you again for your considerate service. We will be certain to recommend your accommodation to our friends, colleagues and business associates.

David & Lynne

7  Thank RoddenSomerset
Reviewed June 26, 2010

We arrived at Le Preskil on the 10th June around 2pm having flown with Air Mauritius (staff going out not as good as on the return trip but all in all the flight was ok!). We are greeted very well on arrival at the hotel and immediately taken to our room -254 - a standard room which was lovely and had a completely unbroken view to the beach and lion mountain - I was very pleased indeed.

The hotel grounds are immaculate and a pleasure to walk around.

We found ALL the staff to be absolutely super and found that they actually made our holiday as enjoyable as it was.

We were on HB and found were very happy with our choice compared to the difference in price of paying for AI. We did pay the extra 15euro to go to the Steakhouse one evening and it was well worth it as the steak was really really very good indeed so if you do go HB then treat yourself at least once.

We found the food in the main restaurant to be varied and of a very good quality - we stayed for two weeks and i didnt get bored once in fact I looked forward to our evening meal.

I agree that the drinks are expensive but this is the case everywhere in Mauritius so every other day or so we would potter down to the London Supermarket and buy ourselves some soft drinks and beers ( a bottle of local beer being 20 ruppees - approx 50p - bargain!!!!)

We travelled with Hayes & Jarvis and after the initial welcome meeting we did not see our Rep again - the trips they offered were unrealistically expensive. I had already researched where I had wanted to visit so we ended up hiring a car for a few days and doing the trips ourselves. They drive on the left and the roads are in excellant condition so it was easy to get around. (use a local car hire company as they are half the price of the car hire cmpany that the hotel recommends)

I found Port Louise to be very disappointing to be honest but it is worth a visit - I would definitely recommend you take a visit to the Botanical Gardens north of the city - very nice indeed!

Included in our holiday package was a day out on Le Preskil Catamaran - if you dont get this free then do it anyway (about 50euro pp I think) as it is a fantastic day out - again because we went off season there was only about 16 of us on the boat which was fab!!)i

Having read most of the reviews before we booked our holiday AND having now visited the hotel I beleive that if youcome from the UK and wish to visit Le Preskil (and Mauritius as a whole) then you need to plan your dates very carefully so as to avoid the 'peak' periods (Xmas & Summer holidays) when it is popular with the French and South African families. I can imagine that when the hotel is full then it would be difficult to get some piece and quiet.

When we were there (June) the hotel was only about a 1/3 full and there was a good cross section of nationalities - Brits, Germans, French and SA and the atmosphere was very pleasant.

Having spoken to the staff as well they all said that May / June was the best time to visit the area as the weather was sunny but not humid or raining as in high season.

I know I did my research but I do feel that our timing was perfect and we had a fantastic time at this hotel - I really dont have any complaints about this hotel at all.

I found that Mauritius wasn't the tropical paradise that I had imagined but never-the-less was still very interesting and they are trying to do lots of conservation work to bring back the Mauritius of old.

One final thing - if you are a diver you may be a bit disappointed with the Dives - the coral is all but dead and it was like diving on the face of the moon! the snorkelling off the beaches was a lot more safisfying - it's a real shame but Mauritius is certainly not the only ones facing problem.

I hope this reivew helps and if you go then I hope you enjoy yourselves as much as we did

3  Thank Neatn0gs
Reviewed June 21, 2010

After an incredibly long journey - we flew out of Manchester - we arrived at Le Preskil Beach around 11.00am. We were incredibly tired and hot and frankly the hotel staff couldnt have cared less that all we wanted to do was get checked into our room. We couldnt though as check out wasnt until 12 and we couldnt get in until 2.00pm. (It surely must be possible to tailor your check in and out time to accommodate international flights). So we had to wait for 3 very long hours at the hotel reception with no courtesy cold drinks or towels that other reveiwing this hotel seemed to get. Add to that a migraine made worse by a keep fit DJ blasting out house music from the pool area for a aquarobics class and frankly I thought I'd arrived in hell which was confirmed by the wild like wriggling around in my salad for lunch!!!
The place was completely overrun with families which is hard to understand when the only accommodation was one bedroomed bungalows as far as I could see.
We eventually got into our room and I collapsed from exhaustion leaving my husband to sort out the hot water - there was none and air conditioning which made everything damp - for the whole week!
The only saving grace of this holiday was that our deluxe beach bungalow was the last one on the beach and so we did get some degree of peace if we stayed there and didnt venture towards the pools which you couldnt get near for children. Food was taken in the large restaurant and was fine for that type of thing. The separate restaurants were a real disappointment and the 'cabaret' style entertainment in the evening was just awful. The hotel grounds were however very nice and very well kept.
All in all it was a real disappointment as was most of the island to be truthful. On the one day we went out on a trip we got stuck in a traffic jam on the way home on the one motorway that snakes around the whole island.
I'm prepared to accept that this hotel might be very different at different times of the year but I woudl certainly say that at busy times they've sold out to the lucrative family market at the expense of couples for whom the resort was obviously built to cater for. Woudl I go again - not if you dragged me there for free!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 8, 2010

This was my third visit to Mauritius, so knew a little about the standard of several hotels. Preskil is a lovely situation, and the views around the hotel are wonderful, loved watching the surf breaking on the reef, and listening to its roar.

The two main disappointments were the Spa, and the restaurant.

We were on half board basis, and if we had chosen to go to either of the other two restaurants it would have costs us another fifteen euros. this left us eating in the main area, which lacked enthusiasm and variety. also being a vegetarian I was very restricted by the choice. you can only eat so much veg curry per holiday!

The Spa, was also lacking in enthusiasm for their job. I work in the business so know what to look for, the massage though fairly good, was obviously done as a matter of fact and the oil smelt rather odd. I melt several other ladies who also complained about the standard of pedicures and manicures. Very expensive for what you get.

The rooms are nice and the beds area good, and I could not fault the staff for friendlyness and helpful service.

There is very little in the way of shopping near by - infact Mahebourg is a dump of a place. Shame as Port Louis and the Grand Bay are much better

1  Thank WildcatChester
Reviewed June 3, 2010

Me and my mum have stayed at Preskil Beach Resort for a week in a Deluxe Penthouse which was absolutely amazing! We had a room ( no. 424) which was in a quieter side of the resort and had absolutely gorgeous,not obstructed views over the sea! Definitely recomend to stay in this room type. It is very spacious, with massive balcony and more private although I have seen the other room types and they all look very nice to be honest however a bit smaller then the one we've stayed in. :-)
Beach: You will always find free sunloungers in fact even if the hotel is fully booked you will have a choice! Beach is very clean and quiet as well.
Staff: All staff were very helpful, smiley, friendly and efficient. Very impressed!
Dining: I have to say dining was an exceptional experience! The Charka Steak House is a must! We had the best steak ever in our life in there! I still can not believe how tasty the stake was!All the glory to the chefs and also to the staff who made the wonderful experience complete. It is a definite must to have at least one dinner in this restaurant! The Tapas Restaurant serves delicious sea food where you must try the sea food platter or the lobster! The Spices Restaurant (buffet) was really good as well however less choice sometimes.
I would definitely recomend the All inclusive option for everyone!It is definitely woth every penny!
Watersports : most of it is included free (water skiing, etc.) - amazing!
Over all: I would definitely recomend this hotel and would definitely come back there again!
Special thanks to Kate (front office) and Preddy and the whole team at Charka Restaurant!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MrMiagi_10
Reviewed June 2, 2010

We have just returned from a fantastic two week holiday at Preskil Beach and what can I say that has'nt already been said by Lindsey Jayne. On Arrival we were greeted by Linda at the guest resevation dest with a cool towel and fruit cocktail. Linda is very polite and professional and helped us with any requests or quiries we had during the stay.

We stayed in a Delux Penthouse at the quieter end of the resort with the Tapas Beach restaurant just 20 metres behind the room. We took advantage of the beautiful views of the sea and Lion Mountain in the distance from the balcony by having room service deliver breakfast most mornings for a small tray fee. Well worth it and the native birds would come a sit waiting for scraps. The food was really good quality and the Steaks at the Charka Steak House exceptional. There is a good choice of buffet food at the Spices and they had theme nights so also a good varied menu.

The quality and cleanliness of the site is outstanding. Early every morning the beach was swept clean and the fallen leaves and coconuts gathered by the landscape team. But what made the holiday for us was the pleasant mild mannered people. Nothing was too much for them and some worth mentioning went that extra mile. I would like to mention Marie, Veronica of the Tapas. The Boat house crew especially Juan-Claude. Linda on Reservations. The guys looking after our room (430) and finally George, the most polite and patient Beach Hawker we've ever known. We bought £40 worth of trinkets and shells of him on our last day because he was so much fun every day. Christoph, if you read this, give George a job on site.

I stongly recommend this holiday resort. They love the English and the staff make the holiday as much as the perfect surroundings.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mahebourg
Laguna Beach Hotel & Spa
#2 of 8 in Trou d'eau Douce
Zilwa Attitude
Zilwa Attitude
#1 of 3 in Calodyne

Been to Preskil Beach Resort? Share your experiences!