Preskil Beach Resort
We stayed for 21 nights between 2nd and 23rd September 2013 on a trip organised by Kuoni in the UK. We took the advice of earlier reports and changed GBP to Rupees at the airport and got a much better rate than the hotel was offering.
The room was quite big, with en-suite facilities, complimentary toiletries, kettle, tea & coffee, mini-bar,, air conditioning and impressive view over the lagoon from the balcony. We asked for a floor standing fan as well, which was provided the same day.
The room was serviced every day by Ummah – a very friendly lady with good English (and French) who keyed into our preferences in the room. The room was kept spotlessly clean. An evening ‘turn down’ service is provided which we only wanted a couple of times.
The hotel grounds are beautifully maintained by what looks like a small army of gardeners. The beach is sandy, wide, and has ample sun loungers . What looks like the open sea is, in fact a very large but shallow lagoon with a fringing coral reef protecting the lagoon almost on the horizon. The hotel is essentially on a peninsular in the lagoon. You will need to wear footwear in the lagoon because of urchins etc. and there is a small current when the tides change.
The on site dive school, Coral Divers, is a well run outfit with what looked like new equipment, and knowledgeable staff. Discounts are available if you take your own dive gear. Water temperatures were 23 deg C at below 20m and 24deg C above.
We were on a half-board basis. The breakfasts were buffet style, with a wide choice of cereals, fruit, cold cuts, bacon and eggs etc. to suit most tastes. Evening meals were also buffet style, with ‘themed’ evenings, but still a wide choice of alternatives , There is a supermarket (London Way) about 20minutes walk away from the hotel. The supermarket sells SIM cards for mobiles for around £4 which proved very useful for cheap calls back to the UK.
Bottled water is expensive in the hotelat about £3 per bottle so we boiled the tap water and were absolutely fine!
We ran into a local taxi driver/ tour guide who showed us all his licences, insurances and permits, so we used him for a number of guided tours around the island. . Contact me for details if you want them.
The staff and local people are very friendly – even people passing on bicycles would say good morning, Beach hawkers are all licenced by the authorities, and must not harass tourists, so a polite refusal is all you need. Other reviewers say they were harassed, but this was not our experience.
Buses run past the hotel every 15 mins or so to Blue Bay (fare about 50p) and Mahebourg but local taxi drivers sometimes offer to take you for the bus fare if they are going your way.
WiFi is available free in the Reception area, but not in the rooms.
Overall, the Preskil Beach is a very nice hotel, located in a quiet part of Mauritius on what could be one of the most stunning lagoons on the island.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Preskil Beach Resort is the only hotel in Mauritius to be on a private peninsula, with approximately 750 meters of beach, boasts of its exclusive location, its breathtaking turquoise coloured lagoon and its luxurious and fascinating natural surroundings. Located on the southeast coast of the island, just 15 minutes from the airport, from the historical village of Mahebourg and from the marine park of Blue Bay, this 4-star hotel, which came into being a few decades earlier, captivates all those who cross its threshold to enjoy its beautiful and enchanting surroundings. The refined and understated luxury of Preskil Beach Resort projects itself as being elegant without being intrusive, and blends harmoniously with the typical Creole architectural style of Mauritius, giving it a unique status of holiday, leisure and relaxation. You will only want one thing: to come back again… ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Priceline, Expedia, Agoda, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Orbitz so you can book your Preskil Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Preskil Beach Resort Mauritius Hotel Mahebourg
- Preskil Beach Hotel Mauritius
- Preskil Hotel
- Preskil Beach Mahebourg
- Preskil Beach Resort Mauritius/Mahebourg