“Relaxing, stress-free honeymoon destination”

Preskil Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Mahebourg
Reviewed August 20, 2013

My husband and I have juts returned from a 2 week honeymoon at Preskil and it's an understatement to say we miss it! From the moment we arrived to the moment we left, we felt we were treated like celebrities- refreshing cocktail upon arrival, clear information about the resort and the all inclusive option, taken straight to our room and extremely helpful staff whenever we needed information. We upgraded before we arrived to the all inclusive option and a penthouse room- this was well worth the money. The all inclusive option is brilliant value for money, as you can choose to eat dinner in either of the three restaurants and you can eat lunch in a choice of two places. The mini bar in the room is also replenished daily as part of the service, which we found excellent service. The room was amazing! Huge, luxurious, view to die for. We particularly loved the fact that we could sit in the huge bath tub and watch tv, due to the open plan layout of the room. We did look in some of the other rooms and would definitely recommend a penthouse if you are planning on staying for longer than a week.
The resort itself is very clean and tidy, even the beach. It's a public beach so there are beach hawkers but they are very polite if you tell them you aren't interested. The flag system works very well and the choice of free water sports is great! We particularly recommend the glass bottom boat trip.
The food is very good- I think eating in the buffet restaurant all the would become a bit repetitive, but with the other restaurants too, there's lots of variety. The reviews about the steak house are all correct- amazing steak and great service. The Tapas bar was also great- we loved the lobster and the bread sticks! We mostly ate lunch in the bar- rather limited menu but it has the staples such as burger and hotdogs- a nice touch is they serves fresh crepes in the afternoon, which we took full advantage of. Breakfast is probably the most disappointing buffet, with all the usual items, but we did find it cold on a couple of occasions. It's great that the eating times are long, it gives people much more freedom when planning their day. As a honeymoon treat, we were given a 'free' candlelit mean- this sounds great until you realise that to have it anywhere outside the buffet restaurant (the gazebo, the jetty, the beach), you have to pay a surcharge. We paid to have it in the gazebo, and although the venue was lovely, we felt a bit forgotten about as we had to wait an hour and a half for our meal- a bit disappointing considering we had paid to be treated specially.
We also got two free couples massages as part of out honeymoon package, which were lovely. We also paid for an extra treatment in the spa as we liked it so much. We were also pleased to find out that we could use the steam room and sauna as much as we liked too.
We used the gym a few times (very impressive for a holiday gym), and played tennis and bocci ball. The pools were a little cold at this time of year, but very clean and always looked inviting. There was a windsurfing competition on during our first week and although this must bring a lot of extra money and business to the resort, we did feel that they took over a bit. It wasn't a very relaxing atmosphere with the loud music and wind surfs lying about everywhere.
The staff were all great- very attentive and polite- and the rooms were cleaned very well. I particularly liked the turn down service every evening. The security on the resort is also very good and I certainly felt very safe.
There were a few mozzies about as my husband had some bites, but we didn't see any. Lots of geckos, including one in the room, which certainly wasn't invited!
We went on a few trips while we were there. The first was organised through Kuoni, a day trip on a catamaran to Iie aux Cerfs. This was a great trip and there are plenty like it. I would say that although the island is beautiful, it is quite commericalised and very touristy. The second was a trip organised by the hotel over to the nature reserve on Iile aux Aigrettes. This was great, and we really enjoyed seeing the giant tortoises in the wild.We also hired a private taxi to take us wherever we wanted for the day. We chose to do this independently as we had better prices- this was a great way to tailor the day to exactly what we wanted to do.
All in all, we loved being at Preskil and were able to truly relax and enjoy ourselves. Wish we were still there!

Room Tip: Upgrade to penthouse
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sian B

Reviewed August 15, 2013

My wife and I had our perfect wedding week here in April of this year. We stayed in the penthouse beach rooms which were fabulous. The wedding package was personal with every detail being catered for at no extra cost. Food at the hotel was very good with a great variety. I reccomend paying extra for the beach BBQ as this was the highlight of the evenings for me.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We spent 6 nights at Le Preskil in mid August 2013 on the all inclusive package. The resort is by the look of it the only resort in the big bay that is Point Jerome and includes the Mahebourg promenade. It is huge and super clean and super super blue with enough coral- not too much.The resort is somewhat removed from the other resorts on the island.It is also landlocked and if you want to go for long walks, you are limited to Blue Bay to the one side and the old dirty town of Mahebourg on the other side. You really cant go far.
The month being August it was great for windsurfing(there was a competition going on) but not for swimming and snorkeling- too much wind and the sea was cold. I wont go there again in August.
The room was standard-but that's what we paid for so no complaints there. The general restaurant, Spices, had very bland and uninspiring food and I went looking for the spicy sauces every day to get some flavour going.I am also gluten intolerant and this hotel does not cater for that at all which made the dining experience challenging, especially in the mornings.The hotel has two other restaurants, Tapas and Charka steakhouse, where you can eat at on two occasions in the week on the all inclusive package. Do not bother with Tapas. Go to Charka both times-their food is great. Make sure to order steak. Tapas is a total ripoff. Apart from the fact that the prawns and lobster were excluded for purposes of the all inclusive package(why?)- we took it anyway and paid a lot of money for it- we left hungry-yes hungry. All we got on our plates were the actual meat of the lobster and prawns- and nothing else.No carbs, no veggies, no salad. Nothing. Phew! Then we had the frozen nougat. Don't bother- its gross- and not frozen. The service in the Indigo Bar was great- the lunch menu unfortunately not. Very very limited and we ended up having a plate of french fries to share every day for lunch. Cocktails on the beach and at the bar were great! Especially the Cocoloco! Out of this world. A big big letdown was the wifi situation. You can only access wifi in certain spots in the Spices Restaurant and in the Indigo Bar. Nowhere else- also not in your room. This is very inconvenient and a bit third world. The wifi is also very very slow and frustrating. A great experience was the Catamaran sundowner cruise. I recommend this- we had a great time and took stunning pictures.The glass bottom boat rides are also free in the afternoons.
We recommend taking a canoe and paddling to the Isle of Aigrette- go swim there-less rocks on the sand and more sea life. Also less wind.
Other letdowns were the fact that we had to ask the reception to arrange for our mini bar to be restocked- why?-it was the all inclusive package and this should be done every day- on our last day-(we were on the package until 15h00) they locked the mini bar at 11 and we could no longer access it-strange. We also had to ask reception twice to replace the batteries in our tv remote control before this was done.
Not a bad place, very average but I wont go there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Katrina69
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I stayed at preskil for a couple of nights before visiting my sister in England, it's a great stopover from perth wa. I loved it and can't wait to stop over again on my return! I've never stayed in a resort alone and would recommend preskil to others. Food was great, entertainment good, plenty of things to do: I did some gym classes (aqua so funny with those passionate fun instructors and fab music) I hired a bike and cycled to the local beach, i hopped in a taxi to see local village and market for an hour before breakfast, I went on the glass bottom boat complimentary provided by the hotel, other time was spent enjoying movies in my room, walking around the beautiful resort and gardens. During my time waiting for transport to the airport I was offered juice, coffee and croissant before the kitchen opened, I was offered a wake up call before having to organise one myself. Room service was superb. Next visit I hope to try the restaurants and spa, I would like to try a room on the beach side with a bath for a complete experience. Areas for improvement would be complimentary water daily, didn't see a room service menu and complimentary mini spa treatment which would encourage guests to have more. The weather wasn't great quite windy infact but it didn't stop me having a lovely time. I would like to take my teenage son next time and hire a motor bike with him and do some water sports.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

let me get this straight we did not stay here but we were they for lunch and I am writing this as we eat , first it took them 15 minutes to seat us in am empty restaurant, once we ordered the food took atleast 45 minutes to arrive that's for 2 salads and the service is no great. I wish I did not walk in to this place. Wouldn't recomend to food to any one.

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank 1strover
Customer Servic... P, Guest Relations Manager at Preskil Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Dear Sir,

We have taken note of your feedback posted on Trip Advisor as regards to the service you received during your last visit to our property. We strive to provide the best possible service to both our resident and nonresident guests, and when you feel that it fails to meet your expectations, it is important for us to know. However, as you mentioned in your review, that you did not stay at Preskil Beach Resort, we would have preferred that you requested a meeting with either our food and beverage manager or our customer service manager while you were still with us. However, we thank you for taking the time to write the review and we would like to apologize for the less-than-satisfactory experience.
As a gesture of concern over this matter, and, in an effort to restore your faith in our resort we would appreciate having the opportunity to welcome you as resident guest in a near future so that you could experience the hotel’s facilities and services at its best..
Once again we would like to thank you for bringing this matter to our attention, and we trust and believe that when you visit us again, you will receive the excellent service and affordable food which we are known for.
With kind regards
Josiane Jeanmore
Customer Service

Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

Where to start!
We arrived on 5th aug and was shown to our 'prestige cottage' It was room 321, after a 11hour flight we were tired and just wanted to relax. Our room had around 15 to 20 wind surfers congregating around our door and sitting on our balcony. Not the romantic room upgrade we had paid for! We called reception and asked to be moved rooms. After talking to four different people regarding the room position they said they would ask for the group to quieten down, this was unacceptable we just wanted to move. We then demanded for us to be moved.
The first room we were moved to had cockroaches in the bed and two lizards scurrying around the cupboards. We know we are on a tropical island but as you can imagine this was not a plesant suprise. House keeping tried to catch the lizards while we were moved to yet again another room! 3 room changes in a few hours, not good enough.
After room number 3 being cleaned we found yet another lizards on the bed side table, the cleaners leave the doors wide open letting creatures roam and settle in your room.
We also had major problems with our room lock which on day 7 was changed as we refused to have to pack and change rooms again!

The buffet is awful, the food is tasteless and chicken raw. Was ill for the first 3days with extreme diahorrea and sickness.
The steak restaurant is better.
If you are unlucky enough to have already booked, hire a car and eat out!

The beach location is nice but dont book to come in their winter season as its very windy, cold and wet.

I would never recommend anyone visit this hotel. Management just make up excuses and dont solve problems. Some of the ladies that work here are lovely though. Good luck if you have already booked this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank travellerx23
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Loved the restaurants, the resort, the staff, the beach....We visited from Melbourne, Australia and had such a wonderful experience.

We would like to congratulate your staff at reception, cleaning, boathouse and especially the restaurant staff and in particular your very professional and gracious Restaurant Manager. The food served throughout the day was superb! It was first class quality and tasted sensational!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mahebourg
Zilwa Attitude
LUX Le Morne
LUX Le Morne
#1 of 11 in Le Morne
Radisson Blu Poste Lafayette Resort & Spa, Mauritius

Been to Preskil Beach Resort? Share your experiences!