“consistently excellent”
Review of Bar'Lees

Bar'Lees
Reserve with OpenTable
Bar'Lees is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 85 Restaurants in Mamaroneck
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Since I live nearby, I've returned to Bar'Lees several times since my initial review in February. How many times can you say that every experience at a particular restaurant is excellent? Bar'Lees manages to hit that standard. The atmosphere created by owner Colin is friendly yet elegant. The staff is wonderful. Wines and whiskeys are their specialty. You can have a taste of a particular wine to see if you like it. My most recent visit was on the weekend before Halloween - fun but laid-back environment and you can actually hear yourself talk. However, I suppose on their music or comedy nights, it's a bit noisier. In terms of food, on my last visit, I split a mushroom pizza with a friend and it was very good. It can be a little on the pricey side - wines by the glass running $9 to $10 and up.

1  Thank Sally60763

Reviewed August 10, 2013

Nice atmosphere, extremely quiet, good wine selection, a little pricey. Otherwise a nice addition to the avenue. Worth the visit.

1  Thank John123C
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We wound up at Bar'Lees because our favorite Mamaroneck Sushi place, Toyo, seems to have been bought out by the oriental place next door--and though they said they'd retained the sushi menu, it doesn't inspire confidence when one of the items is "sushi pizza". So we made our way to the nearest highly-rated place according to TripAdvisor; my wife had had a trying day and she wanted a leisurely, peaceful light dinner and a couple of drinks.

We arrived early in the evening and thought the door was locked--Colin the proprietor, noticed and helped us in. He graciously engaged us in conversation--he's an immigrant from Perth, Australia, an American now for six years, The Aussie vibe can be felt in the place--service is attentive yet slow, the decor is a lovely mix of muted colors and vibrant ones, great lighting fixtures, comfy seating options.

The place is a genuine whisky bar--they specialize in some fine and rare scotches and a range of other whiskies. Their wine list is also extensive. We were, however, in the mood for beer, and they do stock a modest assortment of craft brews which satisfied our wants.

The food is upscale bar food; pizza and panini, appetizers and charcuterie boards. It seems to me that the kitchen is run skillfully and cleverly--the dishes seem to be put together on order but using ingredients that can be prepped to make finishing easy.

We started with the meatball appetizer. Four ordinary meatballs, each pierced with a bamboo drink pick, were glorified by a thick spicy tomato sauce and shaved Asiago cheese. My only reservation was that it was difficult to smear up enough of the sauce, I think it would be better to pour the sauce on top of the meatballs--where it would also help keep the cheese attached.

We were, by fortune, there on Tuesday, which is taco night--two tacos and a wine selection for $15. They were willing to sub beer for the wine. There are five taco selections, all incorporating some type of meat and a slaw on a soft flour tortilla. My wife and I both went for the red-meat options; prime rib and Moroccan lamb. Absolutely scrumptious; the prime rib was meaty, and the lamb was well spiced and served with olives in the slaw.

So, my score here is a five rating for being excellent at what they are--a whisky bar with some super food options. I'll imagine that as the evening progresses, the place fills up with people wanting to sample a few single-malts; from what I saw that night, those arriving seemed to be (ahem) mature couples and single women. All in all, a classy place, as comfortable as an easy chair.

4  Thank TR26
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Dining as two couples we were pleasantly surprised to find delicious appetizers and unique fare. The wines offered are the best compliments to their extraordinary menu.

3  Thank WaterfordViking
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We had a great time. Thanks Kelly and Collin! Very gracious, great wine and food in comfortable setting...what more could you ask for!

1  Thank Bernie M