“Great food, lovely staff, nice setting”
Review of Nemea Greek Tavern - CLOSED

Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Every meal I've had here (perhaps 4 or 5), is delicious. The fish and seafood are great, and they make terrific drinks if you prefer mixed drinks to wine. Their wine recommendations usually quite good. The staff is extremely warm, which really makes the experience. Nice bar. Comfortable seating and good ambiance.

Reviewed April 21, 2012

It's surprising, with so many dinners in Westchester with Greek menu items and owners, there aren't more and better Greek restaurants in the County. Niko's in White Plains is the only one that comes to mind, and it ain't any great shakes.

FOOD

Melizanosalata (egglant dip) - Great

Taramosalata (one of the reasons to go to a Greek retaurant) was, to me, too creamy and fishy without the taste of roe; I like it with an occasional broken piece of fish egg in it to let me know where it came from.

Hummus - Terrible; watery, oddly colored, and as thin as the taramosalata was too rich.

Moussaka -Excellent

Octopus salad - OK, but the octopus was, again, too fishy - weirdly enough, it tasted like my late mother's gefilte fish (which is not a bad thing, just not what I was looking for). Someone else tasted it and pronounced it fine. I prefer slightly chewier octopus (I acknowledgie that the softer preparation is preferred) and it was a bland color that made it look like chicken breast.

Desserts - Not great. The baklava was large and not cute, and the pastry was dry. Similarly, the galaktoburiko (blame the spell checker for any error) was dry and overly dense and didn't have enough sweet syrup on it to moisten it.

Coffee - We asked for Greek coffe, medium sweet. When it arrived, our waiter gave us cute little spoons and one of those square things with sugar and sweet and low packets. To give him his due, it wasn't sweet enough, but the last thing I was going to do was add sugar and stir up the sediment. Unfortunately, I think someone else had, because you felt the grounds all the way through the drink, and not just at the point before you get to the sediment.

SERVICE

Our waiter was very sweet. The kitchen brought out my entire meal before my wife's and he came over and apologized profusely, even though it was a kitchen snafu and not his fault. He was also helpful in providing French and Italian analogs for the Greek wine by the glass.

A water glass fell over, which necessitated changing the table cloth, but he and the busboy did it effciently and it was not a big deal.

AMBIANCE

The restaurant is a lovely, airy room, with lots of room between many (not all) of the tables. Our waiter, notwithstanding a few misteps, was very pleasant and tried hard. Throughout all this, a self-important man in a sport jacket was patrolling through the restaurant, from bar to kitchen, and back again, without, as far as I could see, so much as eye contact with the patrons. We had gone to this restaurant when it first opened and had a few questions which should have been answered by the owner or manager, but they never came over. A visit from the manager woudn't have hurt.

Maybe it's me, but the local restaurants we like are ones where the people who run them interact with us briefly and make us feel at home. For a place that calls itself a Taverna, there was none of that. You had no sense of who's place this was. It was a just another restaurant with OK food. To give you an idea of where I'm coming from, so you can decide if we have similar taste, Turkish Meze, Encore, and Pascal's in Larchmont and Cholo's Kitchen in New Rochelle are high on our list for this reason, and La Provencale is at the low end of the scale.

Reviewed March 27, 2012

My mother is Greek and she was quite disappointed. As an American, I would say that the food is hit & miss. We both had the lamb chops which were good without being extraordinary. They did hold the salt as I asked and that was a plus. The sauteed spinach was so tough I couldn't eat it, and really, how hard is it to saute spinach? The entrees came with fries instead of rice which was definitely not Greek and they weren't particularly good either. Beforehand, we had two dips the eggplant which was very good and the taramousalata which was quite bland. The Greek coffee was so-so and the baklava was good if you like it on the drier side ( no honey syrup). The acoustics are awful. We sat at the end by the front window and still had to yell at each other across a tiny table. The tab for 2 with 2 glasses of wine, one ouzo, two dips, 2 entrees, 2 Greek coffees and 2 baklavas was around $160 and it wasn't worth it.

1  Thank islandgirl88
Reviewed March 11, 2012

We celebrated a birthday five of us ladies , first great cocktails at the bar gingerbread martinis made by Ron thank you. Then a beautiful round table in the window , we ordered a lot of appetizers and side dishes as well as a couple of entrees lamb of course and a fresh fish special we had dandelions , octopus salad , grilled artichokes everything was so fresh and tasty I really enjoyed the careful fusion of old world classic with a modern twist it was full of exciting flavor . We do plan on returning to check out the new brunch menu . The decor is comfortable warm , fun and a bit edgy with great art work .