“Very good food, service, and selection...”
Review of Nautilus Diner

Cuisines: Diner
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
White Plains, New York
“Very good food, service, and selection...”
Reviewed May 21, 2014

prices are a little higher than other diners, but it's worth it here. It's not worth it at City Limits, but it is here.

Wasn't in the mood to pay to park at the Original Pancake House, so Nautilus it was. I was hankering for lobster bisque, but they only have it on Friday. Had an excellent crab cake Benedict that was very generous and tasty. None of that cutting back on portions to keep you healthy baloney for Nautilus, and GOOD for them. What, people don't know how to take half their meal home?

Mom enjoyed their waffle with three scoops of ice cream and took hers home too.

So if you're wondering which diner to choose, for pete's sake go to Nautilus. You won't be sorry. Trust me.

Mamaroneck, New York
“Home of a large number of menu selections”
Reviewed May 20, 2014

We have dined here many times and the place is always busy. A few months ago we took our cousins here for lunch and they said that they had never seen a menu with so many selections.The entrees portion sizes are of a nice size and very good in taste. The staff is friendly and we have gotten to know them and the co-owner (Teddy) quite well.

New York
“Nice Diner”
Reviewed May 5, 2014

Pleasant diner with good service and of course an expansive menu....Hard to go wrong on selections...

York, ME
“Very nice diner for breakfast”
Reviewed April 16, 2014

We had breakfast there while in the area on business. It's a huge diner, and the menu is just as huge. Reasonably priced with a good selection for breakfast. Very accommodating in terms of making substitutions, etc. The wait staff seemed to know half of the people who came in, and treated them wonderfully - had conversations with older patrons, etc. Nice décor, well-maintained. We'd go back.

• Visited March 2014
Dayton, Ohio, United States
“Not quite up to its promise.”
Reviewed December 23, 2013

In the course of travelling up east, my wife and I (and the occasional relative) wound up in four diners over three days. Who could have predicted? Alas, this one was the weakest of the lot.

In for lunch during a busy day, the first impressions were favorable. I like a traditional diner layout, with a train-car booth and counter front section, kitchen in back, big dining room to the right. This place's decor is classy upscale contemporary, with lots of deep colors and mature tones--no neon here!

The ownership is clearly Greek, and their heritage is reflected in much of the menu, tho' you can find all the American diner standards as well. They also offer an extensive range of alcoholic beverages if that's your pleasure. Since it was lunch, I stuck to coffee; theirs is a dark roast which needed some sweetener and, on my third cup, a half-and-half.

My normal lunch is soup, and they had some tempting selections; my wife and I both went for the French onion. She also ordered a calamari appetizer for us to share. My mother-in-law got a club sandwich.

Well, the food quality ranged from just OK to disappointing. The French onion soup had a fine au gratin topping, well toasted in the oven, but the soup itself was a bit too salty and a bit not beefy enough. Moreover, the onions--which were rather in short supply--had been sweated, nor caramelized. Now, I'm perhaps spoiled by my home-made French market onion soup, for which I generate stock using bones from a beef rib roast and the skins of the onions, after which I thoroughly caramelize the sweet onions, steam them with flour, add garlic then stock and some brandy and simmer for a long time before refrigerating overnight to finish the next day. But the Nautilus' effort was so-so, even compared to other restaurants' versions.

The calamari appetizer was a disaster. The best part was the sweet chili dipping sauce. The calamari rings themselves were enormous, clearly not from a delectible Mediterranean species--they looked like onion rings! Moreover, they were rubbery. My wife hit upon scraping away most of the breading, which she thought improved them but I didn't agree. The French fries that accompanied them were soggy and flavorless, Heinz 57 did not help. Their cole slaw was crsip but a bit over-sweet.

I'll note that this is perhaps a nascent chain of diners; they have two other locations in a neighboring state. Maybe one of those is their flagship and is better? Perhaps we just stumbled onto the parts of their menu that were the weakest links? Their pastries looked enticing, they were friendly, and they seemed to be entertaining a good number of customers. They're open 24/7, which might make a good option for late-nighters. But based on this experience, I'll be looking for a different place for lunch in Mamaroneck next time.

• Visited December 2013