“Hibachi and management...poor”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 29, 2013

As a frequent visitor to Red Plum and Toyo, I assumed that the new hibachi addition to their restaurants would be just as good. That is not the case. Going to dinner this evening with my family we were very excited about this experience. The night started off with the chef from another table obnoxiously screaming and shouting his performance. Our chef finally came to our table and did the normal hibachi routine...the onion volcano, throwing veggies in our mouths etc. The time came when he was twirling a lighted spatula and a large fork. The chef put the utensils engulfed in fire around to all of our faces asking us to blow out the fire. When one of us leaned in to blow it out, the chef pushed the flame closer almost burning his face. Next, the time came when the chef asked my younger brother, who is a teenager, to drink sake. When he refused the chef proceeded to shoot the sake from a bottle into his mouth and refused to stop until he clucked like a chicken. (not kidding!) My brother backed his chair up, causing the sake to pour from his mouth onto the floor creating a large puddle. To make matters worse the chef began to cook the chicken, placed the raw chicken on the grill and smacked it multiple times with his spatula which in turn splashed RAW chicken juice all over our already cooked food. We were afraid to eat it. We told the manager who did not seem at all remorseful which is the worst part of the night. He apologized and said he would take care of our bill. The waitress came out with our bill only cut by 50%. Exclaiming our discontent and anger with the entire situation the manager asked if my brother asked the chef to stop, pretty much blaming him for the incident. After telling him that that was completely ridiculous and the fact that raw chicken juice and salmonella was all over our food and that didn't bother him, he finally took off 80% of the bill and then proceeded to ask us how the food was otherwise....what's wrong with him! Don't go to the hibachi part of this restaurant.

2  Thank FoodInspector123

Reviewed June 7, 2013

I took my aunt out to lunch at this place and we had a very nice lunch. Place is very clean and the food is fresh. My aunt had a special dish request and they accommodated her with no problems.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

My reservation was for 3 people at 7PM. Exits on the highway were closed due to down trees from a storm earlier that day - and they were closed in both directions, so everyone was running late. At 7:05, the restaurant called me asking where we were. I told them the situation and they were so rude and kept asking where I was! I finally got there at 7:15, and the VERY RUDE hostess brought me to my table and asked where the rest of my party was. Again, I explained the situation with closed exits on the highway. About 5 minutes later, the manager came over and asked me where the rest of my party was! If he wanted to give the table to another party, he could have asked me to sit at the bar. I would have been ok with that. But instead he went over to the hostess and said something to her in Japanese, then she looked over at me. CLEARLY they were talking about my situation!!

And all this time I was there, no one asked me for a drink. The waitress was nowhere to be found.

When my friends arrived & we all ordered drinks, the waitress asked them for ID, but not me... I informed her it was rude to ask 2 out of 3 women for ID & very insulting.

The rest of the meal was fine, but again, the food is nothing to write home about. Haiku a few doors down is MUCH better! We will NOT return again.

1  Thank Jill D
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Food is never disappointing at this place, in fact it is superb, but it is hard to actually see the food because it is so dark. I do not like bright lights, but this is really on the extreme.

Music is too loud so you cannot hear your dinner companion and there are often families with children dining.

Most of their tables are along banquets and both the banquets and chairs are much too low for the table height. I am 5'8", so it's not my height that's the problem, it's the proportion between the seating and tables.

If you're on a date I recommend that you eat at the bar where the friendly bar tender will take good care of you.

Check you bill.
We were charged for a more expensive wine by the glass when they ran out of the one we ordered. That would have been fine, except they neglected to tell us about this change, and it adds up when you are charged $9 instead of $6 per glass. I would call this padding the check!

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Everything is always FRESH and delicious. I have frequented this place since it opened. Never had a bad or even mediocre meal. Peter the owner is pleasant as is the rest of the staff.
Having had everything on the menu, I can attest to the absolute artistry in its preparation and freshness.
To "MackGold" who said the food was pricey, um... you get what you pay for.
The bartending staff (Jackie, Dave) are always on point with excellent service, no matter how crowded the place is.
Went to Nobu in NYC.... Talk about pricey! Mediocre food.
Red Plum beats Nobu hands down in all facets!!