Adirondack Hotel on Long Lake
All reviewsgarlic friesstep back in timesecond floor balconyfront porchgreat funnice restaurantlove this placelong weekendbeautiful viewadirondackdiamondmicrobrewsyesteryearvictoriancompanioncommunitystate
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 1, 2011

We are from Syracuse area and we ride a motorcycle past this hotel a couple of times a year. From the outside it looks very inviting (very 'Adirondack' flavor), and rode the 5 hours to get here. I made the reservations anyway, even though the reviews were not exactly perfect. We found the hotel staff were very friendly and were always available. The outdoor BBQ on the back deck was very good. I had the BBQ ribs and she had the smoked salmon. We got to meet a number of other people staying here on motorcycles as well. Though this place is 'motorcycle friendly', this place is by no means a 'biker bar' or a 'biker hole'. Most people staying were in cars, and from many different life styles.

The rooms do not have TV, telephones, or air conditioning. They were clean and well maintained, and 'rustic feeling' with the quilt on the bed. The shower was very small. We recommend our room (room 17) as it was on the 2nd floor on the corner overlooking the lake from 2 directions, and we had our own bathroom. There are ceiling fans in every room, and our room had the cross ventilation from 2 windows. There is free WiFi, not the fastest - but you can check email and FB your friends. We enjoyed a cold beverage on the 1st and 2nd floor porches, while watching the sunset over Long Lake. A nice and quiet getaway, as there were a just a few souvenir shops and a public beach across the street. Plane rides looked tempting, but they stopped flying early.

All in all, we highly recommend this place. It was perfect for us (as a couple looking for a quiet getaway), and there were plenty of people in the lounge if you wanted to socialize. Just a warning, there is only AT&T cell service there, no Verizon or Sprint service. Not many places still have a big moose head above the front desk and a big black bear standing watch in the lobby.

Room Tip: We loved our room (#17), as it had a great view from 2 directions, and cross ventilation.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mike_On_A_Bike_13140
Reviewed September 1, 2011

Pros-None. Cons - endless. This hotel was supposed to be a historic hotel. Felt more like a haunted house. Our 'suite' carpet was so filthy that we never took our shoes off till we laid down for bed. The wallpaper which was everywhere was literally rolling off the walls. The bathroom faucet was not even attached to the sink. You had to hold it in place with one hand so you could turn the faucet on and off. It was so noisy in the rooms that we had to wait until the bar closed downstairs at 2:00 to think about sleeping. You could not hear the tv in the room over the noise from downstairs. We had 'sadie's suite' which was two bedrooms and my daughter ended up sleeping on the couch in our room because it was even noiser in her room. My husband slept with earplugs in. No management available in the evenings. We had paid for two nights and left after the first night as soon as we got up in the morning. Do not stay here.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank cbojewski
Reviewed August 30, 2011

Over-priced, filthy, worst bed and mattress I may have ever slept on. It was noisy from the bar downstairs that remained open well into the night. My husband experienced better bathrooms in China and India. He refused to step into the gross shower. The one bedside table lamp flickered (electricity was horrible, no where to charge anything). Peeling paint.

The room reminded me of a homeless shelter I used to work in. It was an SRO. Kerri (?) receptionist: rude. Owners cheap and refused to refund second night even though Irene forced a mandatory evacuation of Long Lake Camp.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank brenda d
Reviewed June 16, 2011

DONT eat here. I thought you had to be in South America to be served instant coffee
and the sandwich I had tasted like it was dog meat that had been microwaved but not cooked. The waitress was a grouchy twit who seemed to know how bad the food was.
You could tell she was tired of the bad reactions to the food. Skip this place.
There is a decent diner in town but it closes around 2 pm at least for lunch.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank trav3908
Reviewed June 1, 2011

We were traveling through the Adirondacks after staying in Saratoga Springs for a few days for a much needed vacation when we decided it was too late to start home. We saw the hotel and read the mixed reviews bit decided to give it a try. We love old inns and are willing to deal with no modern conveniences.

It was June 1st, the start of the season. It was also Wednesday. The bar was busy but the hotel was empty. I had called earlier in the afternoon and was assured that there were plenty of rooms and that I didn't need a reservation.

A waitress came over to us after a few minutes and asked if she could help us. I told her I had called about a room. She went into the bar and spoke to someone. Then she came back and offered for is to see a room and that the rate was $120.00 I asked if that was the best they could do since the hotel was empty and yesterday the rate was $80.00 I was told that was the rate since the season starts on June 1st.
So we went to see the room, it was clean, the bed was so soft that when you laid on it you roll into the center!

We saw other rooms as all the doors were open and decided to stay any way if we could have a different room.

Well, when we went back to the desk no one came to talk to is. The bar was noisy and we went in but no one asked if they could help. The waitress saw us several times waiting at the desk but ignored us. We left the key on the desk after waiting for service after 20 minutes! If you need a friendly reasonable place to stay in Long Lake drive 3 minutes away and stay at the Shamrock Motel and cottages! It has comfortable beds, tv, refrigerators, a beach, lake views and knowledgable helpful friendly staff!

• Stayed: June 2011