Sandy Point Motel
Long View Lodge(Long Lake)
$115
The Woods Inn(Inlet)(Great Value!)
$88
All reviewsscreened porchesoverlooking the lakethe ownerlovely beachperfect viewan easy driveadirondack experiencewild centermany yearsget awaydavidmotelrentadirondackskitchenettedockscamp
Reviewed August 27, 2012

As others have noted, the location right on the lake and the views are the best. There are 11 units spread over ground and upper floor, and each has a beautiful view of the the well kept grounds, the lake and the surrounding mountains. Each unit has a private screened-in porch with folding chairs and tables to enjoy the "million dollar view." The room decor is like older motels-- certainly not hip or stylish-- but very much like most of the places in the Adirondacks, and most importantly, immaculately clean. The bathroom fixtures sparkled. The water was indeed very hot (a good thing!) and one didn't need to run the hot water a long time to get it hot! Our beds were very comfortable. We had a motel room, not an efficiency, and had just a coffee maker and refridgerator, which was enough for our purposes. The staff was very pleasant and helpful. Because we just wanted to relax, we loved the outside lawn sitting area, as well as the very nice sandy beach. (We used the beach at night to sit in the loungers and star-gaze.) There was even a small clothes line on the porch to dry your wet swimsuits. The only negative-- which would apply to all the locations in Long Lake and the surrounding area-- are the sight-seeing planes which take off from the lake during the day. If you are sensitive to loud noises, that may be an issue. For those who want to use their stay to sight-see in the area, this is a very convenient location.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Robert2835
Reviewed August 21, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at the Sandy Point Motel for 4 nights. I read the reviews thoroughly before taking a chance on the efficiency room, especially since I'm not that wild about motels in general. Choices for places to stay in the area are very limited so my husband and I decided to take a chance and book the room since most of the reviews were positive.

For the most part, I found the online reviews fairly accurate. The place really does have a great view of the lake and also has a nice beach. The room was clean, which is extremely important to me.

Before booking the room, I looked online for pictures of the rooms but there were none to be found. That's usually not a good sign. I did find pictures of the view from the rooms and of the beach but none of the interior of the rooms. I suspected the decor probably wasn't going to be real hip, especially being a motel and all, but I was hoping for the best. When we arrived at the motel, however, my fears were realized when I saw the room. I felt like I was entering a "time warp", "stuck in the late 60's" (paneling, cheap motel furniture, etc.). We paid $145/night (plus taxes) for the room and, frankly, I think that price was too high for what we got. That's just my opinion, but I definitely feel like we were paying for "the view". The room was okay in general but the mattress was uncomfortable; every morning my husband and I woke up with a backache. And when we took a shower, scalding hot water came out of the shower head if other person in the room used one of the faucets. The kitchenette was okay but there was no microwave. That would have been handy as restaurants in the area are few and not that great, from what we sampled.

This motel really has a great "spot" on the water. I truly hope the new owner can invest in updating the rooms, new and quality mattresses being a big priority.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank vacationingmom1005
SandyPointMotel, Owner at Sandy Point Motel, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Thanks for your review and suggestions -- we read each & every review and strive to consistently improve the experience for our visitors. We pride ourselves in having a well maintained and spotlessly clean property and continue an ongoing program to make updates to rooms, grounds and facilities since acquiring the property in 2012!

Reviewed August 14, 2012

We recently spent four nights at the Sandy Point Motel in Long Lake, N.Y. and we're very pleased.
The room was spotless and the maid service kept it that way. This is a property that harkens back to the 70's which is modern for properties in the Long Lake area but that is part of the charm.
The property itself was very pleasant and nice decorated with numerous flower pots and gardens. Each room has a private screened in porch with affords fabulous lake views and the option to sleep with the doors open and enjoy the fresh mountain air.
The property has recently changed hands and the new owners seem eager both to please their guests and to add upgrades in the future.
The property offers a nice beach just a few steps away and some water sport equipment for rent.
I've rated the pool as excellent but I'm actually referring to the beach. There is no pool.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Bermudaman
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Spent some vacation time on Long Lake in the Sandy Point Motel. Easy to find on the main route into town and on the lake! Most of the guests appear to return each year to the motel. There is a big screened in porch with a wonderful view of the lake at least in our room on the second floor. Beds were so so, but everything was very clean and the owner accommodating. Beach access is a walk down a long ramp (not wheelchair accessible for sure) into a lovely sandy beach and roped off swimming area. The lake was great for swimming, boating and sunning. The motel rents canoes and kayaks for the guests at a reasonable rate. Wifi in the rooms, but did not work. Although we could access it in front of the check in room, but it was vacation, right? I would recommend this if you don't want to camp, but do want to see Long Lake and the Adirondack Mountains. Very reasonable rates!

Room Tip: I think all the rooms view the lake, but can't be sure. The second floor had great screened in porch view of the lake! Coffee maker, refrigerator and television with satellite dish.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank elainewny

Thanks for your review and suggestions -- we read each & every review and strive to consistently improve the experience for our visitors, since your last visits we've made some updates including a new WiFi system that should enhance our guests online experience from the property!

Reviewed August 3, 2012

We were looking to run away from home for three nights into the adirondack mountains. We found the most awsome motel along the way; Sandy Point offers gorgeous mountain views from your screened porch off your room. Typical motel accomodations were spotlessly clean, compact and efficient as per our expectations. The sandy beach was clean, large and well-maintained. We stored our kayaks on the beach and spent hours usually twice a day traveling on the tranquil waters of the lake. The nearby town offers several restaurant choices which we enjoyed, a couple of ice-cream stands, a grocery store, all kinds of rental items and a beautiful public beach. If you need to escape, read a book, float in your boat, or spend $40 to view it all by a sea-plane... Long Lake is the spot for you. Dave Smith has done a marvelous job with taking over the establishment and fine tuning it to a new hidden gem on the lake. Dave and his boys were always available for helping out in some large or small way. His cleaning staff was a pleasure to see in the morning and did a great job.
Thanks again and we hope to be back in a couple of months, please save us a room!

Room Tip: Upstairs wouldn't have foot traffic noise above them as we heard/felt being on the main level, however our end unit was SUPERB!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple