“Typical NY diner”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Takeout
Reviewed March 28, 2012

Huge menu, inattentive staff, excellent food. If you have never been to a NY diner this is as typical as it gets and the food is very good, Portion sizes are large, a small salad was larger than I wanted. The burgers are great, and they have a selection of fresh fish on ice at the front. It's located at a busy intersection right off the Grand Central and 31st Street, and their parking lot is not large. They won "Diner of the Year" but that was in 1999. Still, they're good but once served the waiter never came back for refills or to check on us, until it was time for the check.

Reviewed February 7, 2012

I've been going to Neptune for a while, as it's conveniently located on my way home.

The food's decent, although service is not always amazing; they tend to live in the memory of when they were elected best diner in New York -over 15 years ago.
There are better diners, even in the area.
But I need to bring attention to something else.

Over the months, I started to question the amounts debited to my account, that seemed different from what I remembered paying.
But, I didn't keep my receipts so couldn't check.
We went there again last week, and again, the amount seemed higher than expected.
When comparing with my receipt, we noticed they added $8 to the bill.

So... it is a decent option if you want to eat quickly in the area, but do yourself a favor and pay cash, or at least keep copies of your receipts.

1  Thank mrmnem
Reviewed January 9, 2012

I can never quite get past the fact that they are still heavily pushing the fact that the Daily News gave it a best diner in the city award in 1999 - this just bothers me.

This was my local diner for three years and was always good for breakfast. Ate there once in the evening and was unimpressed by their entree items - nothing terrible, but it just felt overpriced for what they offered. Hands down the most amusing experience was showing up there at 3:30am after a long Saturday night bar crawl to find security on the door and a section cordoned off by more security guys to protect whoever it was enjoying a later dinner off to one side.

Reviewed November 17, 2011

Lots of options, lots of staples. Dad always goes for the specials, Mom stays safe. I like options.

1  Thank BMG68
Reviewed April 23, 2011

Didn't get everything I ordered and the waiter seemed to decide what was best for us. Food was ok not to bad but overall my impression went downhill.if we asked for mustard or something he acted like he couldn't hear us and when he said ok we still fad to ask again because he forgot. I had gone here in past trips to ny and had an excellent time and good food but this time we were rushed out the door and asked for banana cream pie and the waiter determined I didn't need any so he refused to bring it to us a d just gave the bill

2  Thank Bufflady2011