“Adequate, but nothing special!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of City View Inn

City View Inn
Ranked #27 of 28 Hotels in Long Island City
St. Catharines, Canada
“Adequate, but nothing special!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

Rooms were adequately appointed...linens clean...shuttle service to subway was a great added service. Not really close to anything...need transportation to get to sites and restaurants.
Free parking for our vehicle was great.

We were not in our room other than to shower, change and sleep!

Room Tip: Rooms all appeared to be about the same.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Long Island City, NEW YORK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

The hotel was unclean and price not worth to pay at all. I was so surprised to see ashtray in the corridors and cigarette smell everywhere! Hotel entrance is horrible! Wi-Fi internet almost not working. I trusted Best Western website while I was booking as there was one photo for that hotel bathtub doesn’t drain well! I spend the night searching for another hotel and as soon as morning comes we moved out!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

2 Thank Namik O

Travelers are raving about these Long Island City hotels

Bowmanville, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

We have stayed at the Best Western City View for the past 6 years. Although it is not the most modern or up-to-date facility, it is clean and handy to transit. It is so nice to park your car (free) and not worry about driving until it's time to leave. We are not in our room except to sleep, shower and change clothes! We hit the streets about 10 a.m. after having a filling breakfast. We then get a complimentary shuttle to the subway which takes about 15-20 minutes down to Times Square. When we return at night which is usually 12 midnight or sometimes later, a quick 15 minute walk through a mainly residential area brings us safely back to our spacious and clean hotel room. Hotel staff is very accommodating and courteous. If you are a tennis fan Flushing Meadows is very close to this hotel by subway, Providing you are not looking for an upscale hotel, the price is definitely right, clean rooms, great breakfast, free wi-fi in your room and complimentary shuttle to subway. What more do you need? Your neighbors to the south are very quiet! It is a cemetery with a lot of history! Unfortunately as many times as I have been here have not found the time to wander through but it is definitely on my bucket list!

Room Tip: We always stay on the 4th floor. Even numbered rooms give a view of the City
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Marilyn E
Raleigh, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

The Best Western was not our first choice-- we had actually booked a room for 2 nights at the Red Roof Inn through Priceline, but a mistake was made and they sold our room to someone else. The front desk at RRI re-booked us (a party of 4) at the Best Western. When we arrived, we were first given a room with only 1 double-bed, even though the room we had paid for at the Red Roof Inn had 2 queens, and we obviously had more people than would fit in 1 bed. After a consderable amount of arguing with the man at the front desk, and after calling the Red Roof Inn for assistance in the negotiation, we were given a room with 2 double beds. However, as soon as we walked in, we were hit with the over-powering smell of.... cat urine. Don't ask me how a hotel room comes to smell that way, but that is exactly how it smelled, like a litter box in desparate need of cleaning. I went back to the front desk and complained. I was told, "Well, our staff cleaned your room." I replied, "Well, they didn't do a very good job, we need another room." To which he replied... "Well, you get a free breakfast." Oh! OK, that totally makes up for the fact that I can barely breathe in my hotel room. Thanks.

We left to go to a friend's hotel, where we stayed up as late as we possibly could, returning to our room in the early hours of the morning, exhausted enough to get a few hours sleep despite the smell. We then checked out, booking our second night at another hotel. There was someone else at the front desk when we checked out, and I tried to get a refund for the second night that we were not using, but she said she couldn't help me, because the room was booked for us by the Red Roof Inn, and I would have to take it up with them. Needless to say, I will NEVER stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: The room I stayed in that smelled horrible was 101. Not sure if this is indicitive of how the other...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Alisia C
New York, New York, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

There is a reason there are not more pics of this property. When the taxi pulled up I thought it was a mistake. It's a decaying Victorian building right across from Greenwood Cemetery that bears no trace of it's original use inside. It is in a dead zone between many major highways, no shops or food with in a few blocks of industrial LIC. The interior was faded and depressing. The staff was friendly and the place is clean for what they have to work with.
There are many dumpy motels around NYC that are a better value and mass transit friendly. Pass on this one.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Michael L
Asbury, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

City View is a great place to stay. If you are coming to NYC to sightsee it is perfect. The subway will get you to Manhattan in minutes. If you are driving to NYC it is especially good because you can park on their property go to NYC and not have to worry about tickets etc. Good value.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

1 Thank John M
Lapeer, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

My room was so small. Lots of wasted space. I was given a rate over the phone and when I arrived they charged me 30 dollars more. The bed and pillows were comfortable. Towels were good and shower was nice. The only problem I had was the staff and the fact my rate changed when I got there.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business