“For better or worse: the straight scoop”
Review of City View Inn

City View Inn
Ranked #28 of 32 Hotels in Long Island City
San Francisco, California
“For better or worse: the straight scoop”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Good News:

Room 4/5
The room was big, clean, and the A/C worked and wasn't too noisy. Included was both an empty fridge and a micro-wave, as well as a new coffee maker and a fully stocked coffee/tea tray. Very nice. The bed was firm, the pillows new. Considering we're talking New York, or at least NY adjacent, very good value for your money.

Very nice multi-national clientele. French, German, Indian - lots of interesting people from interesting places.

Great breakfast: bagels, croissants, donuts, do it yourself waffles, juice, hard boiled eggs, cold cereal. Unexpectedly good for a hotel of this class.

Bad News.

When you arrive the first thing you'll notice is the reek of old cigarettes and the thick bullet proof glass around the receptionist. In the hallways the cigarette smell is much stronger, though in the room there was none at all.

The alarm clock was broken and there was no light bulb in the lamp by the bed. In three days neither of these things were fixed. There was no hot water, but plenty of warm water.

The nearest subway (line 7) is a 20+ minute walk away, and taxis never, NEVER, pass by. The neighborhood is grim. Transmission shops, medical supply stores, gas stations, and the Long Island Expressway. The enormous graveyard across the street was weirdly engaging, especially for Tim Burton fans.

The hotel management is client hostile.
- They will tell you it's a ten minute walk to the subway. It's a ten minute job if you're in good shape.
- They'll tell you they have a free shuttle to the subway, that is on demand with a five minute wait. When you actually need it, it "just left, you just missed it." and it will be back in twenty or thirty minutes. In reality, I waited nearly an hour before giving up. I never saw the shuttle in three days at the hotel.
- DO NOT try to use the shuttle on your last day at the hotel. It is for guests ONLY, and even the morning of your last day (checkout time noon) it is NOT available to you. (If it ever actually shows up. It must, right? My timing was just bad luck, I'm sure.)
- The will tell you they have called a cab for you. Actually, they will call a town car. That means 2x or 3x the cost, if they will even take you. The town car they called for us refused to take us because our trip was too short.

BOTTOM LINE

New York is expensive and you can save money staying here. The rooms are good, even if the location is challenging. If you don't ask reception for anything, and don't mind walking a little, you can have a good stay here and save some money.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Amadeus-SFO

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Miami, Florida
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We decided take our 2 kids to NY for Spring break. We decided to find an affordable hotel that was close to Manhattan. We have stayed at a few Best Westerns and they were ok. We read the reviews of this hotel and we thought it would not be bad. We arrived to the hotel at 2:00 a.m and let me tell you... we were extremely disappointed when we saw it...It was VERY dark outside and the building is very old. (I think it used to be and old school or something) OMG When my son saw the building he kept asking Mommy is this the hotel? (My daughter wouldn't even allow me to answer) she kept responding to him no, that's a house!
We were already there so there was nothing we could do at that point!

The Staff:
When we arrived we were warmly greeted by one of their male front desk staff members.
(The male Front Desk were a lot nicer to my husband and I than the female ones).
The female Front Desk attendants were VERY mean and disrespectful so were the Breakfast staff members. ALL (front desk, breakfast staff, housekeepers) of the female staff were mean, miserable and short. Would not look at us when they spoke and acted like we bothered them when asked questions. One of them (I think her name is Mena am not sure) was so rude and disrespectful that when my husband requested a final receipt she responded that we could print it out online. We travel very often and never had we been so disrespected by hotel staff.

The rooms:
The rooms are outdated have old looking, yellowish wall paper. The good thing is that they are spacious and clean.

Beds:
Not too comfortable and to make things worst it was 30 degrees in New York that night and they only had regular sheets on the beds, when we requested some quilts from the Front Desk we were told that they did not have any at the time. Long story short we ended up having to sleep in long johns and sweaters that night.

The bathroom:
Nice and clean.

Breakfast:
Regular complimentary continental breakfast (mean staff).

Shuttle:
Complementary-reliable

Cabs:
Yellow cabs are very hard to come by and rarely stop in that area. We had to call one of their subcontracted cabs once and they charged us $35 to Manhattan.

Elevator:
Super slow.

Neighborhood:
Not too clean and we did not feel safe.

Parking:
Complimentary but tight

Internet:
Good

The main reason why we will never go back to this hotel is because of the mean women staff, especially that Font Desk lady I mentioned before. We value customer service and unfortunately this people give Best Western a bad name.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank F F

Travelers are raving about these Long Island City hotels

Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Stayed here for one night in March 2013. The hotel is just not that great. I've gotten better deals in NY that are in better neighborhoods with better rooms. The bed was not all that comfortable - it sloped in toward the middle. The room was reasonably clean. All of the hallways and the entryway lounge reeked of cigarettes, weirdly, because I didn't think you could smoke in hotels anymore. But for some reason, this hotel smelled that way. I appreciated the free parking, and free breakfast is a nice touch for an NYC hotel (but it's pretty basic). We asked for an area map at the front desk and we were told no, and then sent to look for them on a rack of tourist brochures. (Not there either). I mean, it's not horrible, but I probably wouldn't stay there again. You can find nicer places in LIC, for just a little more money.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TAgran
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed March 18, 2013

This hotel is something!! It was our last minute book, and we decided to stay here because it was cheap and located pretty close to Manhattan. I am not picky about hotels at all! Clean bathroom, a bed and a friendly personal that's all what I need. I have no worries about this place just because they have Best Western logo. What to say? Don't want toway be a nerd. Everything was old and mediocre around. Staff was not friendly. The only thing that I like was a view from our room - MANHATTAN. Next morning I realized how lucky we are because there is a cemetery across the street right behind the hotel, and I guess you have a big chance to get the room with a different nice view...They suggest you a free shuttle to subway station and back (free round trip once a day). So, it was our last day, we came downstairs to check out at about 10 AM (check out time is 12 PM). It was a heavy rain outside, we've got the check and ask for a shuttle. And guess what, the lady which worked this morning told us that we are not guests because we've checked out and we can't use their shuttle. It was the smile in her face, and it was the only time when I saw someone from hotel's personal smiling here. When we told her that it's ridicules, she suggested us to go away. We asked for a manager, he came and told us the same things. When I pointed to him that it's rude, he told me that I have to respect him and a hotel policy! What? Why do I have to respect you, while you are insulting me in front of your staff? He also said " If I gonna do exception for every person like you I'm gonna be out of business!" They threw us away like a garbage, and didn't even suggest to help us to take a cab or pay for their shuttle! You know what, I was not disappointed or angry I was shocked and couldn't believe that we have this kind of "service" in the US, especially in a hotel with "Best western" logo. I'm gonna write a massage directly to Best Western about this place. Ok, mister Businessman, I'll give you a simple mathematics: yesterday you saved $5, but you lost at least 7 hundred because I'm planing my next trip to NYC in near future. And guess where am I gonna stay? Definitely not in you "Best cemetery view" hotel. Good luck with your business though.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Anna37_13
Niantic, Connecticut
Reviewed March 13, 2013

When I saw in the hotel description that this was a repurposed school, I was hoping for a room with a little more character. On the outside, the building looks architecturally interesting, but inside, it houses some of the most generic, boring hotel rooms I've ever stayed in. Carpet, curtains, and bed linens are dated. 37" flat screen on the wall is fed with fuzzy analog cable with spotty service. Internet strength is weak. Parking is scarce. Neighborhood is sketchy, which you will quickly realize when you walk up to the front desk surrounded by bulletproof glass. Housekeeping was just OK. I had no issues checking in (and as a Best Western Diamond Elite member I would be very unhappy if I did) but the few times I walked through the lobby, each time I heard people trying to check in and the front desk clerk arguing with them about whether or not they had valid reservations. Overall, a marginally acceptable alternative to the high rates in NYC, but I'm not sure I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank MattBart3975
Munich, Germany
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Hotels in New York City are quite expensive, but this hotel is value its money. You can reach the city quite easily by metro. The neighbourhood is ok, we felt save, but there is not much to see there. The hotel rooms were a bit old but clean. But who stays in the hotel room when visiting New York City?

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple