“meh” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #30 of 31 Hotels in Long Island City
Minneapolis, MN
“meh”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

Stayed here for one night in March 2013. The hotel is just not that great. I've gotten better deals in NY that are in better neighborhoods with better rooms. The bed was not all that comfortable - it sloped in toward the middle. The room was reasonably clean. All of the hallways and the entryway lounge reeked of cigarettes, weirdly, because I didn't think you could smoke in hotels anymore. But for some reason, this hotel smelled that way. I appreciated the free parking, and free breakfast is a nice touch for an NYC hotel (but it's pretty basic). We asked for an area map at the front desk and we were told no, and then sent to look for them on a rack of tourist brochures. (Not there either). I mean, it's not horrible, but I probably wouldn't stay there again. You can find nicer places in LIC, for just a little more money.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TAgran

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

This hotel is something!! It was our last minute book, and we decided to stay here because it was cheap and located pretty close to Manhattan. I am not picky about hotels at all! Clean bathroom, a bed and a friendly personal that's all what I need. I have no worries about this place just because they have Best Western logo. What to say? Don't want toway be a nerd. Everything was old and mediocre around. Staff was not friendly. The only thing that I like was a view from our room - MANHATTAN. Next morning I realized how lucky we are because there is a cemetery across the street right behind the hotel, and I guess you have a big chance to get the room with a different nice view...They suggest you a free shuttle to subway station and back (free round trip once a day). So, it was our last day, we came downstairs to check out at about 10 AM (check out time is 12 PM). It was a heavy rain outside, we've got the check and ask for a shuttle. And guess what, the lady which worked this morning told us that we are not guests because we've checked out and we can't use their shuttle. It was the smile in her face, and it was the only time when I saw someone from hotel's personal smiling here. When we told her that it's ridicules, she suggested us to go away. We asked for a manager, he came and told us the same things. When I pointed to him that it's rude, he told me that I have to respect him and a hotel policy! What? Why do I have to respect you, while you are insulting me in front of your staff? He also said " If I gonna do exception for every person like you I'm gonna be out of business!" They threw us away like a garbage, and didn't even suggest to help us to take a cab or pay for their shuttle! You know what, I was not disappointed or angry I was shocked and couldn't believe that we have this kind of "service" in the US, especially in a hotel with "Best western" logo. I'm gonna write a massage directly to Best Western about this place. Ok, mister Businessman, I'll give you a simple mathematics: yesterday you saved $5, but you lost at least 7 hundred because I'm planing my next trip to NYC in near future. And guess where am I gonna stay? Definitely not in you "Best cemetery view" hotel. Good luck with your business though.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Anna37_13

Travelers are raving about these Long Island City hotels

Niantic, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

When I saw in the hotel description that this was a repurposed school, I was hoping for a room with a little more character. On the outside, the building looks architecturally interesting, but inside, it houses some of the most generic, boring hotel rooms I've ever stayed in. Carpet, curtains, and bed linens are dated. 37" flat screen on the wall is fed with fuzzy analog cable with spotty service. Internet strength is weak. Parking is scarce. Neighborhood is sketchy, which you will quickly realize when you walk up to the front desk surrounded by bulletproof glass. Housekeeping was just OK. I had no issues checking in (and as a Best Western Diamond Elite member I would be very unhappy if I did) but the few times I walked through the lobby, each time I heard people trying to check in and the front desk clerk arguing with them about whether or not they had valid reservations. Overall, a marginally acceptable alternative to the high rates in NYC, but I'm not sure I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank MattBart3975
Munich, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

Hotels in New York City are quite expensive, but this hotel is value its money. You can reach the city quite easily by metro. The neighbourhood is ok, we felt save, but there is not much to see there. The hotel rooms were a bit old but clean. But who stays in the hotel room when visiting New York City?

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
PHILADELPHIA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

I'm a seasoned traveler who has never stayed overnight in New York. I was there on business one of many female engineers. My company made the reservations for me and some of you know that can be scary. But I was throughly pleased upon my arrival. As I was approching the hotel on Greenpoint I felt a calmness, The building looked very quiet a little nostalgic like an old coverted convent Very nice. My check-in experience was very nice front desk personel very pleasant the lobby was clean and fresh smelling. My room oh boy very very nice. I do a white sock test on the carpets and they were still clean by the time I went to bed they get a triple AAA for that one. the jucuzzi nice touch bathroom small but the jucuzzi made up for that, flat screen TV a little fuzzzy on a few channels but it was a flat screen microwave 2 fridges wi-fi nice closet space good, plenty of chairs table, view from 3rd floor side entrance picture perfect and the bed very comfortable Staff very nice Didn't get to do breakfast woke up to late. I will surely stay here again the price is right and I felt safe Highly Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Stay in rooms on the odd side low numbers there is a view