“Solid hotel with solid price”
Review of City View Inn

City View Inn
Ranked #30 of 34 Hotels in Long Island City
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Me and my wife have been here for 4 days, and in generaly there is nothning really wrong with hotel. You can not get better hotel for such a solid price.

Pros:
Solid price for NY
average breakfast,
free shuttle BUT only once a day in only one direction!!!
friendly stuff,
15 min walk to nearest metro station

Cons:
- After very long flight we were exausted....at 3-4 am receptionist waked up us with the telephone telling us that there is a car service waiting for us....we must convinsed him that it is misunderstanding and we did not order anything....however he waked up us...
-Spooky district...we rather took a taxi to metro than walk even at day,
-room smelled on cigaretes....even that we reserved nonsmoking room
-a drank woman start screaming very lound at 3am in the reception, but...receptionist did not stoped her at all...
- you can hear almost everything through the walls
- restaurant should be 5 times larger...we were eating in the room

Room Tip: rooms near reception and restaurant are very lound
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed September 10, 2012

Surely not the best hotel in town, surely not in the best location, surely not to spoil someone BUT it's a cheap and ok hotel for one/two nights stay if you are not scared of being in front of a cemetery (added value the neighbors are quite).
Having said so, lobby staff have been very kind and will to help, the room was not small, clean and the breakfast good.
Furthermore, it tooks only 15 mins by taxi to go to Times square and the subway could be reached on foot in 10-15 mins.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Some of the reviews made me very concerned when I reserved a room through Hotwire. But my experiences were very positive. It is an inexpensive hotel, but the breakfast was good, the computer center had a printer, the room was clean and the walk to the subway seemed safe. It was less than a mile and a shuttle ran during the day. If you are expecting the Hilton, you will be disappointed. If you are expecting an inexpensive hotel in an expensive city, you should be satisfied.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 8, 2012

We came from italy,a friend of mine booked this hotel wich was the worst I ve ever been to,and I traeled a lot.
The neigborhood is really really bad,the staff of the hotel is rude (plus once I didn t understand a sentence over the phone and the guy started screaming),the rooms are ok but the door didn t locked well...
Yeah but the worst thing is the neighborhood. Just,really,don't go!!!

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed August 1, 2012

This was our first trip to NYC, so we don't know what other hotels are like in the area, but here's our opinion. We flew into LGA and took a cab, which was over $20, because there is no shuttle to the hotel even though they aren't too far away. The hotel didn't look as nice in real life like it does in the pictures. The neighbor isn't in good shape, but isn't completely run down. There is a cemetary right across from the hotel, which I don't remember reading about. We go to check and they can't find our reservations. I have to show them my printed receipt for front desk to believe me. We reserved 2 double beds, but all they had for us was 1 king, which was what we originally wanted, but said was all booked when we made reservations. We were okay with it, but some people wouldn't be. There was only one elevator in the hotel and it was soooo slow. Most of our stay we ended up using the stairs because it was quicker. Our room was a decent size but dirty. Someone elses hair was on the bathroom floor and there were several sticky spot on the carpet that I kept stepping on. There was mold growing under the mini frig and everything was unplugged. We had to plug everything in to get more light or watch TV. I also never saw a bible, which we didn't need, but some people may have been upset. The phone only worked on speakerphone and there was a voice message on the phone I had to delete so the light would quit flashing. We were there for a week and I didn't see need for our room to be cleaned everyday, but we needed towels often. The first time we needed towels, I called and asked front desk and they said they would bring some up. We left and came back and they brought tissues and toilet paper, but no towels. I had to find a maid cart and get some myself. The next time we waited for a maid to walk by to get more, and finally just had the clean our room so we could get some without troubles. There was one free shuttle per day per room every half hour to subway station, but we often waited longer than when shuttle was supposed to be there. They usually didn't have enough shuttles to take people so they would have to call more. They gave us numbers to call for a shuttle back as long as it was before 10pm. We had so many problems with this. The first night it was about 15 mins before 10pm and they wouldn't even answer the phone, so we walked back to hotel. The second night we called and they said they would come get us, but never showed up. We waited for about 25 mins. We kept calling back, but they didn't answer the phone again, so we walked. The third night, we asked how long they would be until they would come get us, they said 15-20 mins. We waited 35 mins, tried calling again and again, no answer, so we walked. We stoppe trying after that. Instead of wasting time waiting, we just walked. The nearest gas station is a couple blocks away and the nearest subway station is a few blocks away from gas station, so it is quite a walk. We got used to it though and after a while it wasn't so bad, but after walking around the city all day, day after day, the last thing you want to do is walk back to your hotel and cabs are super expensive. There is no shuttle after checkout either, so we took another expensive cab back to the airport. Breakfast seemed pretty good at first. It is served 6-9am, which sucked because there were so many people from 8:30-9. They really should extend it til 10. It was a small room, with only one person working it. They were constantly out of everything. The worker was always filling something, but she couldn't keep up. There should be another person helping with breakfast, too. After the first few days, I just grabbed donuts and went back to our room. There are two computers at the hotel, which they give you passwords for. We couldn't get it to work and the front desk didn't seem to want to help. We never made it on there. One night, we could smell something that smelled like someone was smoking weed on our floor. It lingered for days. We didn't bother telling the front desk. There is no laundry room on site. They send your laundry out for a charge, but when I asked the front desk when they pick up, drop off, and the cost, he couldn't answer the questions. I didn't feel comfortable leaving my clothes with these people. The nearest laundrymat wasn't close, so I bought a little thing of laundry detergent and hand washed what we needed to get through the rest of our trip. We did have a few good experiences, though. The first day we were there, they gave us a MTA map, and a worker helped explain the subways to us a little and which route to take to where we were going. It would be nice if they would offer some sort of brief 'training' of the subway system for people who have never used it. There was a bar and restaurant nearby that was pretty good. It was a short walk, which was very convienent.

Room Tip: 'City View Inn' doesn't have much of a view unless you get a certain side of the hotel...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Alysha S
Reviewed June 28, 2012

First impression - (negative). We had arrived after a long overnight flight and were on foot with 5 bags, trying to find the hotel in the middle of a news making thunder & lightening storm. We knew BWCVI offer a pick up service from the closest station, but she said it was not available anymore. We arrived after a while to find it IS available, but only after booked in, and in only one direction to/from the station, per room booking per day - so use it wisely folks! Oh, and it isn't available after 10pm...which is when I'd suggest it is most needed! It is a 10-15 minute stroll to the closest station which is 32nd/Lowery St which has no elevator, if you have heavy luggage, children in strollers or mobility issues.

Second impression - (positive). She suggested we left our bags in the room allocated, which had yet to be cleaned. Great for our peace of mind regarding security and to give access to a restroom for the immediate necessaries like toilet & toothbrushing. Would it have been so hard to have said, "I'll see your room is cleaned first, come back in an hour and we'll allow an earlier check in?" Or even have offered this for a small fee? No, "Check in is not before 3pm" another 7 hours later when you are dead on your feet is not good....

It does appear to be safe for female travelers. It has a cemetery opposite - quiet, but a freeway behind it, making the traffic noise on the west end of the hotel bad. There are no decent cafes or restaurants close to the hotel, you need a car or a takeaway delivery service.

There were 3 minor faults with our room, I mentioned them to the female receptionist - all were sorted out within minutes (positive) or an alternative room offered (I had unpacked so declined moving). I am fair, unless guests mention issues, the management may be unaware of them - these guys were quick & efficient.

I'd recommend it for couples who are fit enough to walk just over a kilometer to the station and back, and tackle the subway to see Manhattan, on a budget. For families, it would be a nightmare as the rooms are small to cope with fold up beds, and there is nothing for kids to do here. The area is not near Queens Village or any trendy or up and coming parts of Queens at all, but being near to the on and off ramp into Manhattan I'd say this would be an ideal place for business people wanting a cheaper and comfortable place to stay.

Note; no guest laundry available. The manager told me where a laundromat was situated in the same block; this business had shut over a year ago. The female receptionist noted my annoyance and told me where the one was they send laundry to (as a paid service) and offered a free car ride to it - (positive).

The beds are clean, comfortable and the bathrooms are fine. Daily service appeared to give fresh bed linen each time which was nice, but no bathmat until 3rd day. The breakfasts are good: fresh fruit, bagels, breads, doughnuts, yoghurts, juices, scrambled eggs, drinks. Be prompt! At 1000 it's closed.

Room Tip: The East end is further away from the traffic noise. It has a single, slow and small elevator so a...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 26, 2012

After calling and speaking to the front desk receptionist, I didn't even want to stay here. She was so rude to me on the phone, I couldn't even imagine what kind of service they have once you get there.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple