“Good cheap hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 28 Hotels in Long Island City
Perth, Australia
“Good cheap hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for five nights basically because it was a cheap option for visiting NYC. The hotel is clean and comfortable and the breakfast is OK for the price.
It is well located for quick easy access into Manhattan and the subway stations are very close by for walking. However the area is industrial and dirty but we felt safe walking back from the subway late at night after a show.
The subway trains are very noisy from the rooms and I mean noisy although I did get used to the thundering rattling of the trains.
I would stay here again due to the cost being a third of the price of a very ordinary Manhattan hotel but the thing you do miss out on is walking about your neibourhood which is so enjoyable if you stay in Chelsea or midtown or the UWS. But that's the price I think you pay!

Room Tip: Bring your earplugs
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I travel to NYC frequently and have stayed in MANY different hotels in Queens, NJ, and Manhattan itself. This review is based comparatively. My daughter and I stayed here because of the 'convenient' location to Manhattan.

Let me start with the pros...
Nice, clean room, and a cordial front desk staff - albeit not too informed about getting to and from the city OR what's even in the city.

Now the cons...
-The breakfast is just eh. I've had many other 'continental' breakfasts and this one is on the lower end, albeit clean. They don't have cream for coffee, just milk? Wow. The seating area IS in the lobby and small, but we didn't have a hard time finding a seat.
-There is A LOT of train noise in the room. We were on the 5th floor and back and forth on a Sunday night the trains chugged. Fortunately we were exhausted from our trek through Manhattan that day so slept through the noise. If you're a light sleeper, I'd be wary.
-An employee was standing just outside the front door having a cigarette while my daughter and I carried our 5 bags in and didn't make any effort to hold the door open for us as we struggled with our bags to open the door.
**Although the location is a short walk to the subway, the subway station the front desk clerk directed us to, took us to Queens Plaza which is the E train. My daughter and I walked there about 1 in the afternoon, to spend the day in the city, and knew then and there, it WAS NOT an area to walk back through after dark. Very desolate, lined with dilapidated buildings, and empty fenced in areas lining the entire walk back to the hotel. The train station is NOT manned and is VERY deserted, even in the afternoon. I'm not a wimp by any means. I have stayed in so many questionable areas around the city and have never felt 'nervous' about walking around at dark before. I was nervous.
I believe there may be another station in the opposite direction of Queens Plaza that may be more inhabited. However, even after driving around the immediate hotel neighborhood the next day, I'm GLAD we took the train that night to Astoria and back tracked via taxi back to the hotel. It's VERY sketchy day and night...just be careful.
THAT said...if I knew definitely there was another route to walk to a different train station that was inhabited by people, I would probably stay there again and give it a try because of the cleanliness of the hotel and the reasonable price. AND I stress....only stay there if a REASONABLE price.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank GlamBecca
Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

This hotel is really near to the subway and just 4 stations from Times Square. So is a good place to stay. If you look around is not the best place, but I felt really safe there and as it is really near to the subway you don't tak long walks from one to another. I got back from Broadway late at night and felt really safe.
The room is not huge but with enough space for New York. As most of the turists don't spend a long time in the room you will enjoy the confy bed and the clean bathroom. There is a huge TV and a wardrobe. I didn't put my things on the wardrobe, let everything on my baggage, what gives you and idea of the area of the room, I had 2 Giant bags and 2 middle, and I could let everything open and still walk in the bedroom.
The staff were helpful, for new Yorkers... At least they gave us good advices. And the breakfast is good, thinking about New York that is difficult to find a hotel with this.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

This is an efficient way to stay in NY, which can save you up to 50% compare to a 3* hotel in Manhattan. This hotel is located 5 min walking distance from the subway station and additional 15 min metro ride from the Times Square (direct line). Trains are running every 5 min, which is great, but they also make lots of noise that you can hear from the hotel.

The neighborhood is ok. The rooms are good and clean. Breakfast selection is small yet enough to start your day. The service is very good and the staff is very helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 1st or 2nd floor (or in the basement, if you don't mind to have very small...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Comfort Inn
#15 of 28 in Long Island City
4.0 of 5 stars 469 reviews
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, New York City in Queens
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson,...
#20 of 28 in Long Island City
3.5 of 5 stars 1,531 reviews
BEST WESTERN Plaza Hotel
BEST WESTERN Plaza Hotel
#10 of 28 in Long Island City
4.0 of 5 stars 1,356 reviews
Hilton Garden Inn New York Long Island City / Manhattan View
Hilton Garden Inn New York Long ...
#2 of 28 in Long Island City
4.5 of 5 stars 442 reviews
Ramada Long Island City
Ramada Long Island City
#22 of 28 in Long Island City
3.5 of 5 stars 867 reviews

Been to Quality Inn Long Island City? Share your experiences!