“Super noisy”

Q4 Hotel
Singapore, Singapore
“Super noisy”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I stayed on level 3 for 4 nights. The noise there never stop, literally 24hrs. Had headache and lack of rest during my stay there. Was terrible.
The only upside staying here was the staff who was friendly and helpful.

On last day, I managed to move to room 107 which according to staff was the only quieter room.

It is cheap for NY but not worth the while if you have other choices.

Room Tip: Room 107 is quieter
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I would recommend this hostel, although I may add, it's nothing exciting.
The price is ok for NYC and it's definitely good value - you could go cheaper, but with downs on other parts.
What I would recommend are ear plugs as the hostel is right in front of a metro line.
In detail:
- rooms, common areas, baths are very clean
- common areas are quite nice
- kitchen very well equipped, everything very organized (food in fridge labelled)
- bathroom in the rooms (see previous reviews: some ppl like it some don't; I think it's convenient, although it is of note that the doors are sliding doors and don't shut completely which might be awkward for some ppl)
- room size is ok, lockers under lower bunk, about 35 l backpack size (rather on the small side)
- beds: bunk beds are a bit squeaky (metal frame), mattresses are a nightmare
- staff: uhm... I'd say functional. Neither very enthusiastic nor very helpful or friendly. they do their job.
- hostel policy: NO ALCOHOL allowed. you judge.

Room Tip: Try to get a room to the back or farther away from the metro lines.
Ohio
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised with this experience in New York City. The location is a very short walk from the subway station and it is easy to access Manhattan as well as LGA airport. You can tell that the owners care about the appearance of their property - everything seemed new and very clean. I loved that they had lots of information on what to do in the city as well as insider tips and boards where guests can plan to meet up to do activities - that is especially nice for solo travelers. I was able to check-in early because my room was ready, but if you happen to go early and your room isn't ready, they have no problem watching your luggage so you can go explore. I was in a 4 bed mixed dorm and I was very happy with the room. It was obviously very clean and new. The room was nice - not too many extras, but that helped with not taking up too much space. There were two bunk beds with lockers under the beds. The AC worked very well and the pillows and blankets were decent quality, especially for a hostel setting. There were no individual reading lights at the beds, which would have been nice, but it wasn't a big deal. There is a full length mirror in the room which I appreciated considering part of the reason I was in NYC was for a business meeting and I was able to ensure I looked okay before leaving. The bathroom was in the room and I thought that it was really very nicely decorated with a nice large mirror and a little bit of artwork on the wall. The shower was very clean, had hot water and great water pressure. There were plenty of electrical outlets in the room for everyone to use. The one complaint that I would have is that it was pretty noisy due to our room facing the subway tracks. It is NYC though and this is something that cannot always be avoided. The front desk gave us free ear plugs though which greatly helped and I actually slept a lot better than I had feared I would when I first heard the trains. The common area downstairs was very nice with a full kitchen, nice tables, TV, laundry and so on. I cannot think of anything it was necessarily missing. I appreciated my stay here in a safe, welcoming environment and I definitely loved how clean and new everything was. I would not hesitate to stay at this property again.

Room Tip: If you could get a room which is not facing the train tracks, you might sleep better.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 3, 2013

It's always about personal experience, but in my case I found the hotel no more than average.
Breaking it down:
- Room: I stayed in a room with 6 people. The room is quite small for such a crowd, the toilet and shower room are inside the room so if you want to take a shower, go to the toilet, or sleep longer, be sure you will disturb your room mates. The room I stayed was right in front of the metro line and the noise inside the room was incredibly loud!
- Staff: they are there to do their jobs. Nothing else. I've been to more friendly hostels before.
- Cleanliness: the rooms were fairly clean, nothing worth of note though.
- Location: Convenient. A couple of blocks from the city, although a bit far to reach by bike.

If catching a cab from the airport, do expect to pay around 50 bucks.

Room Tip: Try to choose a room with the shower/toilet room outside (if they have it). I also recommend a room...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 12, 2013

This hostel boutique is from initial appearances (entrance) seemingly well designed and friendly. I had booked single in dorm (8) and their own policy stated that 'single' can not be placed in mixed dorm. When I arrived one male was in room, but by midnight the other 6 beds were females. The room was like a coffin and I felt really uncomfortable coming out of shower/bathroom which is in the room. The A/C was shut off all night by a girl whose bunk bed top was placed right under the a/c unit. She was freezing, but that meant I suffered all night and my linens were soaked by morning with sweat. The hostel is next to subway which is great for convenience but the noise was terrible. The shower had standing water in it. I tried to get some compensation from owner/manager, but they refused. I don't recommend this hostel unless you're with your own family or group -- the rooms for dorms are like a closet!

Room Tip: Don't stay here if you can help it -- unless you insist on room facing away from subway tracks a...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Ramjet999
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I stayed here for 3 days- after my previous experience in a Manhattan hostel I wanted somewhere cheaper. Overall very good value. As it had only just opened the facilities are in excellent condition. Beds comfy, showers hot, bathrooms clean, plenty of kitchen space, big eating area, TVs, lounge etc. Staff were friendly enough and conscientious about checking for guest tags etc. However there weren't organised activities beyond the 'recommendations' written on the blackboard- perhaps this will come with time. The rooms can get a bit cramped, especially 4 backpackers with bags etc. Individual lockers is a nice touch.

The only annoyance I had was that there isn't a nearby supermarket or many other shops- just a bodega (convenience store) across the street. I was only here a couple of days so no problem, but for a longer stay it would get annoying having to lug groceries around. However you are right near two subway stops (but not so near to be affected by noise) and so this isn't a huge issue.

One of the best hostels I've stayed in and comes heartily recommended.

Room Tip: All good, but I believe the single-sex rooms have showers directly adjoining bedrooms so perhaps not...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Great price, fantastic location and even en-suites!

Right next to a subway station, the location is ideal of you want to get about New York City & surrounding areas. Staff were friendly and really helped us out by recommending some great places to eat. We did have a bit of a problem with beds - these were assigned and we weren't told, but it was very well-resolved by the manager.

The eating area is cleaned regularly but still a bit messy as you'd expect in a hostel; plenty to cook with and lots of fridge space though. Bedrooms and bathrooms on the other hand were really tidy and the showers are hot. They don't even run out when the rest of your roommates get there before you!

We felt pretty safe here and there are large lockers for each guest (I could fit my carry on suitcase in it if I wanted) but bring your own padlock, and don't pick the wrong-lettered locker or they'll cut your lock. Also met some lovely friendly people during our stay and although there was quite a bit of noise from other rooms/reception through the night we managed to get a good night's sleep.

Room Tip: If you have lots of luggage, go for the ground floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends