“If you like Kansas City style BBQ, come here” 4 of 5 stars
Review of John Brown Smokehouse

John Brown Smokehouse
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Pennington, New Jersey
“If you like Kansas City style BBQ, come here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

The restaurant is in a industrial location along the waterfront in LI city. Not sure how people find this place but the GPS came in real handy. Per other Tri[advisor reviewers I got the burnt ends and side of baked beans along with corn bread. Washed this all down with some beer from Blue Point Breweries. They have a nice liquor selection too.

The meat was cooked well, the burnt ends were delicious with some fat and the order came out pretty quick. Tried two of their homemade BBQ sauces and came away thinking I had a nice meal, They do have a patio out back that apparently gets packed on football Sundays for brunch or when the KC Chiefs are playing. This is the unofficial Kansas expat meeting place.

If I had a chance I would have tried the ribs, but there always is a next time.....

• Visited September 2013

“Get the burnt ends”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

This place is great. Terrible location that really makes no sense at all. But its worth the trek and very accessible via the E and M train to Queens. Oh, and absolutely get the burnt ends.

They have a small beer selection, nothing mainstream, but still tasty. It costs a bit more than you would think, but its REAL bbq. The fries are not terrific, get the cornbread instead.

But really the only think you need to know is that you should absolutely get the burnt ends!

Visited October 2013
New York City, New York
“Love this place, great neighborhood gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I really like John Brown's, from the way the place is laid out, to the food, and the beer. You go in, right up to the counter, order off the chalkboard, and within 5-10 min your food is at you table. Those few minutes give you just enough time to order you I.P.A., stout, or any other type of alcoholic beverage you fancy. The bar is in the back, I like that. There is also an outdoor space out back which I have yet to visit. Staff is friendly, prices are very reasonable. I think my only gripe with the food is that it is a little heavy on the cumin. If you are not a fan, it might be a little much for you. I can deal with it but I always say that to myself when I eat it. But, the meat is always cooked very nicely. The mac and cheese is very good. Not in a runny sauce, its cheddar cheese, like real southern mac should be. I will def be back for lunch, whenever I can make it.

Visited October 2013
“Yum! Yum! Yum!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

First time visitor, and I'm hooked. It was a freezing cold night, and I had just stopped in PS1. So happy a friend recommended this place for a cozy dinner (so I could defrost). I got a pulled pork sandwich (massive) and collard greens and baked beans. Both sides also had pork in them! Amazing. There is a patio in the back (near the bar), so I can see myself bringing friends here on summer weekends for an afternoon of good food and drinks.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank BrianSzcz
Vienna, Austria
“Nice little smokehouse”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

We usually go to this place with friends from work. They have a good selection, excellent quality and a fair price. Good place for outdoor dining on summer.

Visited September 2013