“Get the burnt ends”

John Brown Smokehouse
Cuisines: American
Reviewed November 12, 2013

This place is great. Terrible location that really makes no sense at all. But its worth the trek and very accessible via the E and M train to Queens. Oh, and absolutely get the burnt ends.

They have a small beer selection, nothing mainstream, but still tasty. It costs a bit more than you would think, but its REAL bbq. The fries are not terrific, get the cornbread instead.

But really the only think you need to know is that you should absolutely get the burnt ends!

Reviewed November 12, 2013

I really like John Brown's, from the way the place is laid out, to the food, and the beer. You go in, right up to the counter, order off the chalkboard, and within 5-10 min your food is at you table. Those few minutes give you just enough time to order you I.P.A., stout, or any other type of alcoholic beverage you fancy. The bar is in the back, I like that. There is also an outdoor space out back which I have yet to visit. Staff is friendly, prices are very reasonable. I think my only gripe with the food is that it is a little heavy on the cumin. If you are not a fan, it might be a little much for you. I can deal with it but I always say that to myself when I eat it. But, the meat is always cooked very nicely. The mac and cheese is very good. Not in a runny sauce, its cheddar cheese, like real southern mac should be. I will def be back for lunch, whenever I can make it.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

First time visitor, and I'm hooked. It was a freezing cold night, and I had just stopped in PS1. So happy a friend recommended this place for a cozy dinner (so I could defrost). I got a pulled pork sandwich (massive) and collard greens and baked beans. Both sides also had pork in them! Amazing. There is a patio in the back (near the bar), so I can see myself bringing friends here on summer weekends for an afternoon of good food and drinks.

1  Thank BrianSzcz
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We usually go to this place with friends from work. They have a good selection, excellent quality and a fair price. Good place for outdoor dining on summer.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

Good, even excellent, KC BBQ but a few issues...The woman from whom one orders had no personality and was of little help in figuring out what was available and what the portion sizes were even when directly asked. They were out of ribs early on a Saturday evening, which was a disappointment. The pulled pork was sublime as was the spicy beef sandwich. The corn bread was so delicious, I could live on it! However, we ordered a Burnt Ends sandwich (brisket ends) which was literally inedible as there was no meat, just fat. We ate in the back courtyard which wa delightful.. I would definitely go back but with tailored expectations.