“Decent barbeque, slightly overpriced. Awkward service.”

John Brown Smokehouse
Cuisines: American
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Pretty standard barbeque fare, nothing too exceptional but definitely not disappointing. Our bill came to $55 for the three of us, which seemed pricy to me. Service at front counter was cordial but erring on the side of unfriendly. You order at the counter and seat yourself. There was a bus boy who kept hovering over our table, probably meant well but we really felt rushed because he stood about 4-5 feet away the entire time with his hands in a position as though ready to remove our plates at a moment's notice. Strange because it was more of a self-service kind of deal. Would not return unless I happened to be in LIC.

2  Thank elmiaberlin

Reviewed May 25, 2013

This is a fun place with delicious barbecue and sides. The pulled pork and burnt ends were fine. The cornbread side was very nice. Cole slaw was excellent Pass on the collard greens--heat overwhelmed flavor. There was a "pass the hat" band, which added to the frivolity. Choice of draft and bottled beers as well as wine. We didn't mind the self-service. The staff was friendly and helpful. Will go again.

1  Thank classicalmusictravel
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Finally made it out to LIC to have this BBQ. Being from NJ it's not an easy trip but I've been reading great things about JBS since it opened & especially since they moved to a better place. I am soooooo glad I made it. Being a big BBQ fan & knowing there is very little great bbq in NYC (I was a fan of RUB before it closed) it's great to know this place has caught on. Excellent meats with the usual styles plus pastrami, duck, lamb sausage & various interesting dishes. If you can get here you won't be disappointed. It's funny to read some earlier reviews where people complain that you order at the counter & they have plastic trays. I guess some people really aren't bbq folks & expect something fancy. It's not fancy, just goooooooooood.

1  Thank mitchmurr
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I went there twice with the wife and kid loved it both times, great food, beer etc. They have an outdoor area as well as indoor seating. The food is really good just make sure you go with time because they sale out fast from certain food in the menu. my favorites are the brisket, burn tips, corn bread and the mack & cheese. The beers are really good and strong too. Love it don't have anything negative to say about this place.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

I would say...finally in 1 week visiting New York I found a place that doesn't look as built for tourist.
We had a couple of dinners there and found excellent chicken and pork meal and WONDERFUL beers. Prices were cheap enough and service (or better self service, you have to order and then take your food when ready) good enough.
Very nice two bands playing jazz and countries in the two nights.
Managers and employess very nice.
I would return there. No doubt

1  Thank ClaudioMilano