I chose to stay in Long Island City because of its easy proximity to Manhattan and also Queens for the US Open Tennis games. I did a lot of research and finally settled on the Comfort Inn because of the reasonable price (~$175) and being only a block away from the Queensboro Plaza station.
I flew into JFK with my parents and we took the Airtrain and E subway to Queens Plaza, then it was a quick 5 minute walk to the hotel. As many other people have said, the area is rundown, very industrial, and not very safe for single people at night. That's the main reason for only giving it a 3 rating and nothing higher. Super sketchy area early in the morning and late at night. It was okay because I was always walking with others, but I would definitely NOT walk by myself. Take a $20-30 taxi from Manhattan instead and get dropped off right at the door.
The staff did everything they could to make our stay enjoyable. They even let us check in as early as 10am, given we had just gotten off a red eye flight. Very professional and well run hotel, just not in the best area. Buffet breakfast was also a nice touch.
The 2 double/full bed room was cramped, but provided a decent bathroom with nice countertop and toiletries. The view of the Empire State and Chrysler Buildings was also a nice bonus - just don't look down onto the metal junkyard below haha.
If I'm that much on a budget again, I might consider staying here again. However I would recommend the extra $50-100 a night for a room in the heart of the city, and a much safer area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Comfort Inn - Long Island City is located at the base of the famed Queensboro/59th st. bridge that connect Queens to Manhattan. We are just minutes away from Midtown Manhattan. We are located just 1 block away from NYC Subways - which is the best way to get around NYC. Located just 7 miles from LGA and 12 miles from JFK. A great way to stay in NYC without having to pay the high Manhattan prices. Free Wi-Fi, Free Breakfast, Complimentary use of Business Center and Fitness Center, Free Newspapers, Iron/Ironing boards, In-room Safe, In-room coffee makers all come standard with your room. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Choice Hotels, Priceline and Hotwire so you can book your Comfort Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Comfort Inn Hotel Long Island City
- Long Island City Comfort Inn
- Comfort Inn Long Island City, New York