“horrible tasting menu experience”
Review of Bear Restaurant and Bar - CLOSED

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast
New York, New York, United States
“horrible tasting menu experience”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

I have eaten at Bear a few times before and every time have been delighted with my meal, and experience. So, when a friend suggested that we go and do the chef's tasting menu, I was eager and more than willing. Needless to say, it was a HUGE disappointment. First of all, we were told when we made the reservations that the tasting menu would take two hours (at least) to do. Well, we were out tonight in less than an hour and twenty minutes. As soon as we cleared our plates, the next one was brought out, leaving no time between courses, until we had to ask the waiter for a bit of a breather. Dirty silverware was left on the table, and when we put it on plates to have it removed, he took it off and put it back on the table. We are paying $200 per person for a tasting menu - can't we have clean forks and knives? we also opted for the wine pairing which should have been six glasses and a brandy - we got four and a brandy......for $72.00 - not worth it as not one of the wines were exceptional. Once we did ask the waiter for a breather, he gave it to us only to serve us lukewarm food that had been sitting waiting for us to be ready to eat it. This is certainly not the service or experience that I expected, and has definitely left a bad "taste" in my mouth. As much as I've liked the place in the past, this was horrendous!!! And it wasn't that they were busy - there was only one other table plus one person at the bar. They wanted to feed us, and get out of there - that was the impression that I got - and when one is paying such a high ticket for a meal, you should never feel as if you are rushed!!!!!

• Visited October 2013

New York, New York, United States
“the best creative cuisine in astoria”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

This was my second visit to this dining establishment in the last six months, and i must say, things have only gone up. While i loved it the first time, this last experience, last night, was amazing. The menu has been expanded (includes desert now), but the food still surpasses expectations. Each dish we tried was more delightful than the one before. Standouts were the chicken liver mouse - amazing!, salmon tartare, lardo cristini, "chicken kiev", and the salmon cooked in pastry with dill sauce. Of the deserts the fried ricotta cheese cake was hands down, my favorite. I can't wait to visit this place again!!!!!

• Visited March 2013
Astoria, NY
“Excellent Food but False Advertisement in their New Year's Eve Menu Pricing”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I just wanted to bring attention to something that happened to my NYE group last night - on a respected local food blogger's recommendation, we decided to book a table at Bear for their 10:30pm tasting table menu. All 6 of us in my party went for the $60 open bar option, thinking - just like the blogger did - what a great deal it was for all of that food and drink!
We had a great time - the food was awesome, service was attentive and the staff was friendly.

Until we got the bill. We were charged $45 per person for the food and then an additional $60 per person for the open bar - making it come to $105 per person total. Which is not what we thought the price was at all. Fooditka.com wrote: "I couldn't believe how affordable this all is, at just $45/person or $60/person with an open bar option til midnight." Emphasis on the word "OR" between the $45 and $60 options. This is exactly how all six of us interpreted the price point as well!

Floored by the total of our bill, I brought up the discrepancy with one of the owners (the brother), and he told us that we were the only people that interpreted their menu that way - that it was always $45 per person for the food AND $60 per person for an open bar. I showed him the aforementioned Fooditka.com blog post to prove the point that there was at least one other person who interpreted it the way we did, too - but the damage had been done. I also referred to their menu PDF, which just states "$45 per person $60 open bar until midnight." If the $45 were for the food only, it should have stated that. We were already set back $45 per person from what we thought we were going to have to pay. I strongly suggested to him that his marketing info needed to have more clarity in the future, and that we felt we were the victims of false advertisement. In choosing where to spend NYE, my friends and I were conscious of our budgets - I had proposed a few other places to them (Rest-au-Rant, Queens Kickshaw, Vesta, etc.) and had we known the true price of this evening at Bear, we would not have chosen it for the evening.

In the end, of course we paid the bill and tipped our server (because it wasn't her fault), but it thoroughly soured my willingness to ever go back there again. He did offer our table a $150 coupon for a future visit, but then that coupon didn't appear with our check and we had to go out of our way to ask him for it before we left.

What a way to start the New Year.

• Visited December 2012