“Nice farm to table menu”
Review of Sage General Store

Sage General Store
Ranked #142 of 293 Restaurants in Long Island City
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Very quaint atmosphere with 2 for 1 beer and wine during happy hour to 7 pm. They use organic chickens and a wood burning oven for a very moist and generous entree served with their creamy Mac n cheese. My daughter and I shared this with a very generous roasted pear salad. They have some vegetarian and gluten free options. My husband had the skate fish schnitzel which was delicious. We shared a slice of butterscotch and pecan cake served with a caramel sauce. Recommend it if you are in Long Island City. Take the Court square stop.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

nice quick yummy breakfast sandwich on our way out of town. Would definitely stop here again when in town.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

We ate here on recommendation of our daughter who had seen it on TV. The name is misleading as it is not a store in any way. It's website was wrong also about the hours it was open so call first. We were seated promptly and my husband ordered a raspberry lemonade on the urging of the waitress. $4 for a small mason jar and NO refills! Not worth it, not that tasty, bland and sweetish.

I tried the $28 3 course meal of a simple salad, 1/2 a roasted chicken with mac-n-cheese, and cream filled cupcake. The salad was simple indeed, fresh greens dressed only in what seemed to be lemon juice. I am used to that and enjoyed it but my husband did not. The chicken was moist and tasty but, to be honest, at twice the price of the diner up the street, it was not twice as good. The mac-n-cheese was creamy white with fresh basil leaves and bits of tomato. It was very good. There was no bread offered. I ended with a cream filled chocolate cupcake which was a good basic cupcake.

My husband had the blueplate special which was chili with rice. It was an ample portion but not the best chili I have had, a bit bland with finely ground beef. However the price is not special, and was not listed beforehand, at $18. My husband was shocked.

Because there is a diner across the road with prices half what these are I don't think I would choose to go here again except for the mac-n-cheese, available by itself for $14. New York is an expensive place and with so many restaurants and fantastic street food to choose from, as a tourist I would use that money elsewhere.

2  Thank Labpyra
Reviewed September 10, 2013

My son read about this place and suggested that we go. I am SOOO glad that we did! A quaint, quiet, old timey looking place with impeccable food and fine service. I had the mac and cheese (so creamy), my wife had salmon ( done perfectly), my son had prix fixe roasted chicken (moist/ tasty), and his girl had salad and polenta ( polenta was creamy, moist, tasty). We will certainly be back!!

Reviewed August 9, 2013

If you're looking for an exceptional yet casual restaurant in Long Island City, look no further than Sage General Store. My friend and I stumbled upon this restaurant during an afternoon NYC walk. Enticed by the rich colorful dishes of the diners, we made it a point to come back for a meal. A meal worth the trek outside the city boarders. FYI an easy subway ride too. The staff is friendly and courteous, and the food, fresh and savory. It's nothing fancy, but probably the ideal place to find scrumptious sandwiches, savory salads, and desserts. If you're a runner like I am , take a run from NYC over the 59th St. Bridge and indulge in a cup of coffee and a bakery treat. You can always run across the bridge with your new found energy, or hop on the 7,E,G, and M back home.

Well priced, great for friends, work lunches, brunch, and to-go.