“Great for take-out, a bit small for sit-down”
Review of Sage General Store

Sage General Store
Ranked #138 of 296 Restaurants in Long Island City
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed February 25, 2013

The food is really good and fresh. I love the soups, but they tend to run out towards the end of lunch, so get there early. Definitely recommend it more for take out because there are only a few tables and it is always very crowded.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

The husband and I came here for brunch on a Sunday around 1:15pm and luckily enough the place was only two thirds full. We got a seat and admired the decor. This place was featured on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives and is a cute little spot with a wood burning oven and a country kind of decor.

We ordered the Bacon Brunch to share since it sounded like plenty of food for two. As we waited for our first course, we enjoyed our coffee and fresh squeezed orange juice which were both very tasty.

The first course was the the bacon trio - a sampling of Neuske's applewood smoked (Wisconsin), Dewigs slab (Indiana) and "Ham I Am" peppered (Tex-Arkana) bacon, a cheddar biscuit and Bacon Marmalade from Brooklyn. The bacon was all good, but my favorite was probably the slab from Indiana. The cheddar biscuit was quite dry unfortunately but it was helped by the bacon marmalade. The bacon marmalade had an interesting flavor but I really didn't get any of the bacon flavor in it. Still a good start to the meal.

The next course we opted for the Outrageous grilled bacon and cheese with jack, Vermont cheddar, Gruyere and "Ham I am" peppered bacon. It was served with potatoes on the side for that extra carb serving. Honestly, with the richness of the grilled cheese, I might have preferred a salad on the side though. The grilled cheese was quite delicious though with lots of cheese oozing out and buttery toasted bread. Unfortunately, there was hardly any bacon in it, but still a solid option.

Finally to end we had the double chocolate + bacon brownie with Jack Daniels whipped cream. This was perfection. The brownie was dense but very moist and probably one of the best brownies I have had. The Jack Daniels whipped cream was amazing. Very creamy and I would love that on any dessert! Perfect end to the meal.

I enjoyed Sage General Store, but to be honest though, the bacon flavor in the bacon brunch was really subdued throughout except the actual slices in the sampler. I will definitely be back but I would try the other items on the menu including that pizza from the wood-burning pizza oven for sure!

Reviewed September 20, 2012

The atmosphere in this place is soooo cool. And how could you go wrong with modern takes on American classics like mac and cheese, or best of all: bacon brownies. We had a really lovely meal here - and adding that to our visit to PS 1 MOMA made a perfect excursion off of Manhattan.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Expensive, yes. But the menu offering and variety keep getting, let's say, interesting. A few years ago it was a great place, but excellent lunches and wonderful pasteries for breakfast. Now the food is getting spicy, less well prepared, and not the value you hope. Sad to see the place lose its glory.

1  Thank PhilViking
Reviewed September 2, 2012

I had the Bacon Brunch with the Mac & Cheese. It was so good and it had a LOT of food. I found this from Diners, Drive-ins and Dives from the Food Network.