WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #24 of 31 Hotels in Long Island City
Buckeye, Arizona
“It Is What It Is”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2011

I have been going to NYC for 25 years for work. This is the 1st time I have been shut out in getting a room for a 3 night stay in Manhattan. It was a last minute trip, and all the reasonable price rooms were not available. By "reasonable", in NY terms, I mean $300/night and under. So, it was either the airport area places or this place in just-over-the-river Long Island City. I took it out of desperation, at the inflated price of $299/night.

First off, I have to say the staff was very nice and helpful. When I checked in , they actually showed me 5 different rooms to pick from. Friendly people. But, the place is just not up to standard. Shabby rooms and dented furnishings. I know the room was cleaned and the linens changed each day, but the rooms need a major detailing in every area! Just hope you don't have neighbors, as the walls are paper thin. The do have a great coffee machine in the lobby, but the other breakfast offerings are scant. Plus, only one table, so i saw that a lot of people were taking bowls of cereal to their rooms. No fitness room. Didn't have my laptop, so don't know about internet access. New flat-screen TV's in room was about the only up-grade I could see.

Now, the location. If you have a car, they have free parking. If not, the subway is about a 10 min. walk up Broadway. At first, me being used to Manhattan, I thought I was going to be stuck in some dangerous ugly neighborhood. I was wrong-its actually a pretty interesting and lively area- Broadway past 21st St. has a lot of nice places to eat-lots of people on the streets. Plus, right on the corner is the great 24 hr. Bel-Air Diner. I ate there twice, and found it full of the real New yorkers you don't see in the Manhattan places.
It was pretty good!

All and all, i can't say it was a great value at the money I paid, but that's New York!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank mab313

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Atlanta GA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2010

The bullet proof glass at checking threw me off but checked in anyway this is NY after all...got to the 1st room and i was scared into a new one just like it! The smell of smoke was overwhelming and I am an occasional smoker. And there were ants already occupying the room so I left. Did not ask for my money back just went to another hotel. Had them call me a cab, and I think it was the guy at the front desks cousin with a town car. He was friendly and reasonably priced. The staff was very very very nice and helpful. I am all for a 1 star hotel just not that one.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank goddessmax
Stuttgart, Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2010

Stayed there because we needed a hotel room in NYC in a short term, as we decided spontaneously on our East-Coast-Round-Trip to stay the last night´s also in NYC - after staying the first seven nights in that great city. The room was very small but clean. The small bathroom seemed to be clean but stunk a bit. The neighbourhood didn´t look safe - on a first view - but it was. We´ve seen no trouble - going and coming at all times. The subway is a ten minute foot walk along Brodway - where you can go for breakfast or grab something on the way. So overall i would say: You can go there, but I will not really recommend it.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
San Fernando, Trinidad
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2009

We stayed here for 12 nights with no problems. The room was tiny but had all amenities which were all functional. We were pleased to have a small refridgerator in the room. Staff were very pleasant. It's a good location with the subway located about 6 blocks away. Lots of small restaurants, groceries and fruit shops are located nearby.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TriniPeople
Utah
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2008

If you are wanting to stay at a motel that promotes prostitution then this is the place for you.

To start out with this motel does not have an elevator so if you are elderly, have a hard time climbing stairs or are in a wheel chair, you have to climb the stairs.

Now to the real reason for my review. We were set to check out at 6:00am and were ready and waiting down in the lobby for a cab when this young man walks in and goes up to the desk and asks for a room. Shortly after that a young women walks in and stands next to the wall. The clerk tells the man the price and the man says I only want the room for 4hrs. The clerk says it will be 10mins and this guy proceeds over to where the young women was and they start making out against the wall. About 2mins later another young couple walks in and requests a room for a couple of hours. So I'm thinking I spent almost $200 a night, with room rate and hotel tax, to patronize a hotel that rents rooms to prostitutes. It made me wonder what kind of disease I was sleeping with in my room. The really sad thing is these girls didn't look older than 18 and this hotel is right across the street from Long Island High School.

I contacted the headquarters of Super 8 Motel and they just referred me to the Motel manager. Like that's going to do any good.

On another note if you decide to stay at this motel and need a cab, call Yellow Cab yourself to request a pick up. They called us an independent person that couldn't even find the terminal to the airport and then charged us double what Yellow Cab would've charged.

Being a tourist, and not wanting to spend an arm and a leg to stay in a motel, I thought Super 8 Motel would be a good choice. Next time I'll read the reviews and based on how the headquarters of Super 8 Motel didn't care about my experience I won't be staying at any Super 8 Motel again.

• Liked — They had a fridge and microwave
  • Disliked — The prostitution and they used an indpendent cab instead of Yellow Cab service that I requested.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
      Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
14 Thank Wiskerlikins
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2008

we booked a week in this motel off the internet. we thought it was in new york as the address was broadway. we were gutted to find that we had made a mistake and booked long island. when we got there we were happy with the room and happy with the location to the tube which was just up the road. there were restaurants near by and it had a small village type feel. it didnt take long to get into newyork and i would stay there again. the room was typical travel inn type room. clean tidy and had everything you need for a comfortable nights sleep. no bugs insite! it was also cheeper than anything else we had seen. good value. eight of us went and none of us had a complaint. on the last day our flight was after 5 at night. although we had to be out of our rooms at 11ish they kept 8peoples luggage locked in a room for us all day free of charge. all in all i would recomend it to any budget traveller.

• Liked — its price
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
      Check in / front desk
7 Thank bankrupt2
Indianapolis
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2007

Just returned last night. Will never stay there again and plan to report the isssues that we had with AAA. We had two, two queen bed rooms. The set up is great. Two beds in seperate rooms with a bath and a half. First night there was a mouse in our room. No wonder, the housekeeping staff left their cart outside the room every night with trash hanging on it. Second night found a roach crawling up the wall in the second room and a bug under the pillow of one of the beds. Yesterday morning, after getting out of bed, found a bug crawling on the sheets. Killed the bug and a lot of bright, red blood squirted out. Obviously the bug was some sort of blood sucker. Don't know if it was a bed bug or not because of its size (I think it was too big). One of the ladies that was with us has some sort of "rash" on her leg just above her sock line and she slept in her socks every night. There was really nothing we could do once we were there because if we had tried to find somewhere else to stay who knows what we would have had to pay. We just kept thinking that we are only here to sleep. But the bug yesterday morning did me in.

Stayed September 2007