“Enjoyable stay!!”

Ranked #22 of 32 Hotels in Long Island City
New York City, New York
“Enjoyable stay!!”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

The Red Roof Inn was really nice. Not far from the train..extremely quiet area. Clean and peaceful. Brian, the shuttle driver, was extremely pleasant and helpful with a wonderful personality. Great person. I would definitely come back here. It was a pleasure to meet someone genuinely interested in knowing that I wwas going to enjoy our stay and when I left, he was just as thoughtful. The front desk staff was extremely nice as well.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the middle...nice and quiet.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Ignacio F, General Manager at Best Western Long Island City, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Thank you. I appreciate your comments regarding your recent stay at the Queens Red Roof Inn,

Red Roof Inn – Queens

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Turkish first
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Location is awesome. Short 10min stroll in a safe neighbourhood to the Subway station. Hotel is a little tired. We booked 2 rooms as we are a young family of 7 visiting New York for the first time.
We traveled in Dec 2012

1x room smelt aweful....from mildew, we later noticed that the carpet was still soaked, must have been from the previous people. When we first walked in the room they had an industrial blow dryer on the carpet. After 2 days of complaining we were finally moved to another room. Late that day I noticed that other people were in the room..there is no way that smell would have gone by then.

Staff were hit and miss....not exceptional but also not too sour. The dining area is quite small.
Nothing is cheap in New York so besides the negatives we did enjoy our stay...and if we ever have the opportunity to go back the RRI is good value for money.

Room Tip: Pay the $29 weekly Subway pass.....best value Carry enough coins for the phonebox at the Subway sta...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Ignacio F, Manager at Best Western Long Island City, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Please take my apologies for any inconvenience, but we was on process to remodel our hotel, now we just have done part of renovation I will like to invite you to stay again with us, I will make sure to share your comments with the rest of our team

Red Roof Inn - Queens
Chandler, Arizona
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Right next to the Brooklyn Queens Expressway, about 3 miles from LGA and 12 miles from JFK.
Staff was polite and helpful. WiFi & breakfast, including waffles, bagels etc. was included in the inexpensive room price. Late night parking was full both nights, but street parking was fairly available. Very basic, but clean room with daily cleaning. A few minutes from NYC by subway, at about 25% of the price. Hotel was full of foreign, young tourists who appeared happy with it.
I would use it again for a basic place to sleep for the night, if you don't use any overpriced amenities.

Room Tip: Rooms not facing freeway are quieter. Try "Pete's Diner", a few blocks away for late n...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank slaterock1704

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Location - Best part about this hotel....It's about a 10 minute walk to the subway, which is a quick ride to Times Square. Beats paying over $200/night in Manhatten. The neighbourhood looked a little run down but I think it's just old. Columbian restaurant close by serves up big servings. There was also a Williamsburg burger place close by - twas ok. Hotel was close to the highway.

Hotel - parking was limited, but I got a spot. Parking lot on the side of the hotel is tight. There is also parking in front of the hotel.

Breakfast - hard to find seating, crowded. Enough food to eat for me but my son got tired of the selection and wanted hot food. Oatmeal, yogurt, waffles, fruit, cereals, bread, bagels, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, juice, fruits.

Room - small - we were 4 people. Appeared clean. Not enough towels and depending on when you asked, you may have to wait until housekeeping comes in the morning. Every morning housekeeping would knock on our door and ask if we needed our room cleaned that day. That's the first time this has happened to us. Shouldn't housekeeping just clean your room every day - no need to ask?

The Staff - no complaints about the staff. They were accommodating. Not overly friendly but certainly polite.

Bed Bugs - About 3 days after I arrived at the hotel, I got a few itchy spots on my arms and thought mosquitos in Central Park might have bit me that day. The next day I saw a bug on a towel on the bathroom floor. I googled bed bug images and confirmed this bug was a bed bug. This bug appeared in daylight. There must be an infestation if you can see it in the bathroom...away from the bed..in daylight. Did a little more googling later on that night and saw that some people only react to bed bugs bites after a few days, so I suspect the bugs were biting me from day 1. Some people might not even react to their bites. I think I was the only one in the room who reacted to the bites...and thank goodness I did. If I had no reaction, I would not have inspected every piece of clothing and placed each piece of clothing into garbage bags. Took 3 of us 3 hours, until midnight, to go through all the clothes, bags, etc. Since bed bugs come out when it's dark, I thought if I left the light on, they wouldn't come out...But they did,,,I slept in the car that night, and checked out the next day.

I was still reacting to bug bites days after I arrived home. Got corticosteroids prescribed to help with the blisters & itchiness due to the bites. Left the clothes, luggage in the sweltering heat of the car, for
days, in the hopes that if there were any little hitchhikers, they would die. Then washed/dried all the clothes. Left all the luggage in the garage for a month. Took a few weeks before all the blisters fell off. I still have scars where the bigger blisters were. Spent more time learning about these critters and worrying that I brought them home, given they can survive without a meal for months.

I would not recommend it...Although very reasonably priced it's not worth the $$ in savings in exchange for bed bug bites and the effort you have to put in to prevent them from coming home with you.

In fairness, I heard that NYC is the worst place wrt bed bug infestations, but maybe housekeeping should make it part of their job to vacuum each room, every day, instead of finding a way to skip out.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank TAFanToronto

Travelers are raving about these Long Island City hotels

Missouri
Reviewed November 15, 2013

We stayed here during the weekend of the New York Marathon. Very good location and not nearly the price of staying on Manhattan. You can take the shuttle service to the nearby subway station and catch the Number 7 into Manhattan with little trouble. We chose to walk to and from the station and found the neighborhood part of the New York experience. We are small town people and this was all very different for us. We never felt unsafe, even when getting off the train late in the evening.
As for the hotel, it is a basic property, average hotel breakfast, average cleanliness for NY, helpful and pleasant staff. It is right by the freeway, but with the fan of the AC unit on it never bothered our sleep. I would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Arch_9
Ignacio F, General Manager at Best Western Long Island City, responded to this review, November 17, 2013

Falkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 14, 2013

We turned up at the Red Roof Inn and was pleasantly surprised by the hotel. Its location is awesome and the free shuttle service to the train station is handy. 10 mins into times square. All staff were very kind and helpful. The only reason I did not give it 5 stars was we had a room at the side of the expressway and you could hear those impatient new york car drivers peeping their horns until evening. And the breakfast could have had a better selection but was still great.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not beside the expressway
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
I will make sure to share your comments with the rest of our team. Feedback from our guests is always welcome as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our service, also I will like to apologies about the noise at the high way bother you during you rest time.